X-Wing Miniatures Game Review - Precision, Planning, and Pure Luck

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
X-Wing Miniatures Game Review - Precision, Planning, and Pure Luck

Not only one of the best Star Wars games ever made, but one of the best fighter combat games ever made.

Read Full Article

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I've been wanting to get into this for a while. Alas, I've been borderline broke/in debt for the last year and a half. I'll likely pick this up once I get a better paying job.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
I always see these things in Barnes & Noble, and always want to buy them. The quality of the miniatures is great, and I'm a big fan of Fantasy Flight Games. I MAY have to take the leap next time I see them.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Wil, Seth Green, Clare Grant, and HuskyStarcraft played this on Tabletop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mxPFHBCfuU

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
deth2munkies said:
Wil, Seth Green, Clare Grant, and HuskyStarcraft played this on Tabletop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mxPFHBCfuU
This episode of TT is actually a great example of how fun it can be to play this game with a relatively low figure count.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
What a coincidence, I just bought this earlier today at a local comic shop (it was Free Comic Book Day, after all). I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but everyone I talked to there highly recommended it. This will be my first foray into a tabletop miniatures game, and I'm curious to see how things turn out. Since there hasn't been a new X-Wing computer game in over a decade, I'm hoping this will be the next best thing.

Erik Zarkov

Sep 12, 2013
I rather enjoy this game, and you don't have to go hog wild on the minis. Usually you can check out what comes with a ship online, and if you check to see what the point value range for the ships are, you can get a feel for how many you might field at a time. Rebel ships are pricey, so you'll generally use fewer of them than the Imperial ships, but on occasion they have a pricey ship too.

swiftdraw

Jul 29, 2011
At ~$15 per single fighter model, this game can get expensive fast. That said, I picked up the beginners box last month for $35 and it is a really fun game, even with just the one x-wing and two TIE's.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
The most fun bit is theory-crafting to come up with new combinations of effects and abilities; it's a shame the competitive scene seems to have settled on exclusively basic, unmodded TIE-swarms and likewise vanilla X-Wings as the most efficient and boring game.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Man, I wish the mark up wasn't so huge here, around $25-$30 for a basic fighter over here.

There's a Star Trek game that uses the same system, but has a way cheaper price point, my brother has beem buying it, should have a go with him.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
chozo_hybrid said:
Man, I wish the mark up wasn't so huge here, around $25-$30 for a basic fighter over here.

There's a Star Trek game that uses the same system, but has a way cheaper price point, my brother has beem buying it, should have a go with him.
My issue with Attack Wing is the vehicles look cheap. Also, as with most Trek tie in stuff, the relative scales seem to be slightly borked, particularly when it comes to the Dominion ships.