Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Using Brand-New Tech and a New Engine

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Using Brand-New Tech and a New Engine

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare developer Sledgehammer Games claims it had two and a half years to create "brand-new tech" to control and support the game.

In the latest issue of Game Informer magazine where it has Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare as its cover game, developer Sledgehammer Games co-founder Michael Condrey reveals that the shooter is being built on a new game engine that's focused on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions. In the same issue, former Visceral Games (Dead Space) employee and now audio director at Sledgehammer, Don Veca states, "We've had two and a half years to create brand-new tech to control and support this game. It's something like 10 times the memory since this is next-gen. With all this extra memory and new mixing technology, we don't have to compress everything. We can make things longer and let them breathe."

It seems this new tech might already be reaping the benefits. According to Game Informer, the single-player campaign they've witnessed in Advance Warfare was more tense and atmospheric compared to previous games in the franchise. This is certainly good news -- especially for those who found Call of Duty: Ghosts' visuals a little mediocre. For a preview of what you can expect from the shooter, make sure to check the reveal trailer released last week. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-now/9146-Call-of-Duty-Advanced-Warfare-Announced-Featuring-Kevin-Spacey]

Call of Duty: Advance Warfare is set for release on November 4 on last-gen, current-gen consoles and PC.

Source: MP1st [http://gameinformer.com]

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Peanut from Jeff Dunham said it best "Polish a Turd it's still a Turd"

They will continue to make Call of Duty till the end of time I fear, and I will still continue never to buy them.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
dragongit said:
Peanut from Jeff Dunham said it best "Polish a Turd it's still a Turd"
In the trailer when Kevin Spacey was saying how people aren't tolerant and how they don't want freedom and yadda yadda yadda, I wasn't quite sure whether he was talking about 3rd world nations or the foul-mouthed corridor-loving sect of the CoD fanbase.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Didn't they claim that Ghosts was also on a new engine and it turned out it wasn't? This game won't be much different than previous ones in terms of graphical fidelity because it's still being developed on the PS3 and Xbox 360. Until they abandon those systems they won't make any significant progress.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
i see no mention of PC in their claim, i guess thats bad newa for the entire 5 people who play CoD on PC, expect shittier ports than usual

id be worried if it was actually a good game i was interested in

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Mcoffey said:
Getting the nicest, newest car in the world's not gonna matter much if you keep driving down the same, tired road every year.
And yet Mario 2D platformers have been selling for over 30 years and Madden for over 25 years.
i dont think its a fair comparison you know, mario actually fucking changes

sure they have those 2D platformers, but theres also the 3D platformers, the sport games, the kart racing games, the RPG games, etc

CoD is a bad, repetitive, and unfortunately best selling joke

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
They said the same thing for Ghosts, turns out that wasn't the case and it kept the same engine but modified just like the one before.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Alex Co said:
According to Game Informer, the single-player campaign they've witnessed in Advance Warfare was more tense and atmospheric compared to previous games in the franchise.
Which is TOTALLY related to the engine, right? And the gameplay?
What's that? It's not? Then WHO CARES? That still means (for now), that we got the same engine as the previous IW-games (Treyarch at least admits that they take the previous engine and modify it to hell and back and call it "New Engine Version", not "New Engine") with the same non-gameplay as IW-games.

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Didn't they claim that Ghosts was also on a new engine and it turned out it wasn't? This game won't be much different than previous ones in terms of graphical fidelity because it's still being developed on the PS3 and Xbox 360. Until they abandon those systems they won't make any significant progress.
Ghosts used IW6, an upgrade from MW3's engine, which is an upgrade of IW4, an upgrade of IW3, an upgrade of IW2 which is a mod of the Quake III Arena Engine. If Sledgehammer is being truthful, this is an entirely new construct.

But I wouldn't hold my breath.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
NuclearKangaroo said:
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Mcoffey said:
Getting the nicest, newest car in the world's not gonna matter much if you keep driving down the same, tired road every year.
And yet Mario 2D platformers have been selling for over 30 years and Madden for over 25 years.

sure they have those 2D platformers, but theres also the 3D platformers, the sport games, the kart racing games, the RPG games, etc

God dammit you are correct! We need CoD kart racing, RPG and party games :) this is the way!

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Dear God! There is so much comedic material to work with here! Where to start?

Let's talk about the trailer with CGI Kevin Spacey. He does a good job playing the bad guy but, as dragongit put it, this is merely polish for the turd that is the Call of Duty series. I do find it funny that they're now moving into sci-fi since most of the plots from previous entries were insane works of fiction to begin with (see CoD: Ghosts). Wonder how long we'll get to play with the new toys before they get taken away so it won't interrupt the joy of spunkgargleweewee game play (examples like the wing suits and the canine companion)? BTW, love the concept of portable chest-high walls. I'm sure, if you listen carefully, you can hear Yahtzee grinding his teeth just thinking about it. Also, might wanna call the bookies to place your bet on when Activision will ditch Sledgehammer for the next disposable game development studio to work on t his over-hyped shit series.

Final thought on this. Has CoD sunk so low it is now ripping off Elysium's power armor or is this suppose to be what the military is cooking up in the near future?

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Mcoffey said:

War... War never changes.

But nor does Mario.

OT:
Sure, that sounds great. Why is the game still being released for the bottleneck consoles? Shouldn't we, you know, move on by now? I can't imagine the new engine helping much when the systems are that old.

Mr. Q said:
Final thought on this. Has CoD sunk so low it is now ripping off Elysium's power armor or is this suppose to be what the military is cooking up in the near future?
They're not ripping anything off. Exo-skeleton power-armor has been used before Elysium was ever conceived. As far as the military thing, I think someone in one of the previous Call of Spacey threads said it is being made.

Apr 28, 2008
Wonder if the PC port will be utter shit like Ghosts is.

Anyone else try it during the free weekend? Fucking abysmal. I surpass the recommended requirements, game still runs like ass on all-low settings. And crashes very frequently. You'd think with the BILLIONS this franchise pulls in they could afford to put out a decent port. Guess not.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I wish Activision wouldn't announce CoDs until like the day before, so we can just have one compressed "CoD sucks I'm cool because I don't like popular things" thread and then move on instead of going through the motions for half a year every year.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
They don't need a new engine, they need a new designer, tech 10 years old had more innovative games than COD.