New Assassin's Creed, Red Steel Coming

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
New Assassin's Creed, Red Steel Coming

Ubisoft has laid out its plans for the 2009-10 fiscal year, and they include a number of its marquee franchises like Red Steel [http://assassinscreed.uk.ubi.com/index_old.php].

Laying out Ubisoft's future in the coming fiscal year, CEO Yves Guillemot had a decidedly optimistic forecast. "2009-10 looks very promising and our teams are working flat-out to provide gamers with the best the industry has to offer," Guillemot said in a report [http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/gallery_files/site/270/1042/1932.pdf] on third quarter earnings in 2008-09. "Although we have to be cautious in light of the current economic environment, we expect Ubisoft to once again be one of the most dynamic and profitable publishers in the games industry in 2009."

The fiscal year for 2009 to 10 will end in March 2010, so expect these games to be on shelves by then: Assassin's Creed 2, the long-in-development Splinter Cell Conviction, a new Ghost Recon, a whole bunch of Imagine and Petz games, and a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game which MTV [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/01/22/ubisoft-confirms-tons-ofnew-game/] has on good word is being made by some of the folks who helped build Super Smash Bros Brawl. Also scheduled to make a return is Red Steel, the swords-and-guns Wii game that proved one of the console's bigger launch disappointments. The new title will feature Motion Plus controls for ultimate 1:1 hold-your-pistol-sideways-like-a-Triad-member action.

Guillemot also revealed that I Am Alive [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88482-First-I-Am-Alive-Details-Come-Alive], the post-disaster survival game that we got the first details on last month and which was only recently rumored to be released in March, will be delayed. "I Am Alive will require further development time and will now bolster the line-up for 2009-10," he said.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
While I can't wait for the new Assassin's Creed, I cannot say I feel the same way about Red Steel.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
I appear to be behind on my Assassins Creed information, but does anyone know what the second one will be about, or what era it will take place in?

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
What's this? No beyond good and evil 2 news? I'm still waiting for *any* indications that this game is still on the radar... :'(

Vim-Hogar

Sep 2, 2008
I haven't heard anything official on Assassin's Creed beyond that they're making it. Not even much for rumors, actually, so your best info at this point might just be from playing through the first game, in which case I can't help at all...

Edit: oh, man, yeah, they'd better still be working on BG&E 2. I'm just playing through the first one now...

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Assassin's Creed 2:) The Assassinating)- Pass
Splinter Cell Conviction- Maybe
Ghost Recon- Pass
Imagine Games- Pass
Petz games- Definite Pass
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- Pass
I am Alive- Maybe

Well so much for Ubisoft.

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
Finally a Red Steel sequal. I don't why people think it was bad. It was quite good except for a few minor glitches.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Looking foreward to "I am Alive"(delayed =/), "Assasins Creed 2" and possibly the new Ghost Recon game - I had hoped they would make a new Rainbow Six game...

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
Assassin's Creed: Strong possibility
Ghost Recon: Strong Possibility
I am Alive: Strong maybe(I don't even know what it's coming out on, but I like the idea.)
Splinter cell: maybe
The rest: no

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Gamer137 said:
Finally a Red Steel sequal. I don't why people think it was bad. It was quite good except for a few minor glitches.
i agree. it was a good game despite a couple of problems which, if they sort them out for the sequel, it will be great.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
A lot of it looks good to me, but what can I say? I love most of these franchises.

Red Steel was pretty bad, but it wasn't the concept that was bad. Maybe they'll actually fix things and make a good implementation of it. (I can dream, right?)

Jul 9, 2008
needausername said:
I appear to be behind on my Assassins Creed information, but does anyone know what the second one will be about, or what era it will take place in?
One of the developers said the French Revolution in passing, but it was sort of an example to show that they could pick any time period.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Valiance said:
Red Steel was pretty bad, but it wasn't the concept that was bad. Maybe they'll actually fix things and make a good implementation of it. (I can dream, right?)
Red Steel was one of the titles that tempted me to get a Wii... and then the reviews came in saying that the controls just weren't there, and I lost interest. So I agree, if they can fix those soft-spots in the sequel I might just be tempted to throw Ninty some coin.

-- Steve

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
I really hope Ubi works on coding and gameplay more than just graphics. They're notorious for bad PC versions with horrendous bugs... Anyone remember the disaster that Double Agent was? Virtually unplayable.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
Xiado said:
I don't see how a Red Steel sequel could possibly have been conceived. It sold almost nothing, and was panned by critics.

orannis62 said:
needausername said:
One of the developers said the French Revolution in passing, but it was sort of an example to show that they could pick any time period.
Sounds interesting. At least that's more creative than having it being set during the great crusades again.
Nah, the crusades are going to be the next World War II.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Meado said:
Xiado said:
I don't see how a Red Steel sequel could possibly have been conceived. It sold almost nothing, and was panned by critics.

orannis62 said:
needausername said:
Sounds interesting. At least that's more creative than having it being set during the great crusades again.
Nah, the crusades are going to be the next World War II.
In game clues point to Japan. A Dev mentioned the French Revolution. In any case it won't be set in the Crusades.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
No mention of BG&E2.... that's not a good sign. I hope they're still going to work on it.