Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn Hits Buzzer Beating Funding Goal of $450,000

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn Hits Buzzer Beating Funding Goal of $450,000

Shaquille O'Neal's fighting game Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn has managed to hit its $450,000 funding goal in its final day, with one person donating $35,000 to have Shaq be a DJ at their party and play a DJ set.

Remember Shaq Fu? If you don't, I don't blame you, as the fighting by EA was notoriously bad and its only redeeming quality was seeing Shaq duke it out against demons and other monstrosities in an alternate version of Japan. Well, regardless of how you feel about the game, another Shaq game is coming. Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn has managed to squeak by its Indiegogo campaign target of $450,000 in its final day. With just hours to spare before the funding drive stops, a couple of last-minute incentives were added which seemingly did the trick. Some of the donations were generous with six people donating $250 to receive a personalized voicemail from Shaq, another paid $4,000 to have lunch and a game of basketball at Shaq's house, while someone donated $20,000 to eat a meal with Shaq at a local restaurant (the donor will even pick up the check). Possibly the most ludicrous donation of all is that someone donated $35,000 for Shaq to travel at their party and play a DJ set -- oh, and of course, he'll also get a copy of the game, t-shirt and a poster.

Developed by Big Deez Productions, Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn will be a remake of 1996 fighter developed by Delphine Software and published by EA. The remake will see release on PC, PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One and Wii U

Setting aside the fact that Shaq is a multi-millionaire that can easily fund a game based on himself for $450,000, are people really that excited to see a remake of a mediocre game? With people donating tens of thousands of dollars, I guess that answers my question, though, it doesn't make it any less odd. How much would you donate to see Shaq's game released?

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-06-shaq-fu-a-legend-reborn-scores-USD450k-funding-goal]

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Pretty sure I'd donate for it not to be released. I played the original and honestly this being brought back reminds me how polio is being brought back.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
byte4554 said:
This will be the ironic crowdfunding game to end all other ironic crowdfunding games.
I think the statue of robocop in the middle of Detroit did that, or maybe the statue of Satan with kids in an Oklahoma court already put this to shame...

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
...managed to hit its $450,000 funding goal in its final day, with one person donating $35,000 to have Shaq be a DJ at their party and play a DJ set.

OT: We all can guess how it'll turn out, but wouldn't it be a twist of fate if it actually ends up being good?
As unlikely as it sounds, it is a possibility.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
tfw people somehow think the quality of the first game automagically translates to the second one

Guys. Go play the original Street Fighter and then Street Fighter II, then we'll talk about "guaranteed badness".

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Really, having dinner with Shaq? I would sell my soul to eat dinner with Shaq.

Oh, yeah, the game. I suppose there's a possibility it'll be good... and come on, it's basically gauranteed to be made; there's nothing that can be done.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
Did anyone actually refer to this game as a "remake" ? I think not. The trailer certainly bears no resemblance to any one-on-one 2D fighter I've ever seen.

I was thinking Shaq's recent legal troubles would actually have been the thing that would sink the project, but said legal troubles were apparently just a flash in the pan.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
At least they are getting something interesting for their sourcing. Not like those $400 pictures w/ Avril Lavigne where you have to stand 1 foot away from her.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
I kind of get the feeling this game is going to be a masterpiece. It's going to be so ridiculously retro-camp that you can't help but find charm in it.

tehroc said:
At least they are getting something interesting for their sourcing. Not like those $400 pictures w/ Avril Lavigne where you have to stand 1 foot away from her.
LOL! Does she really hate her fans that much?

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Micalas said:
I kind of get the feeling this game is going to be a masterpiece. It's going to be so ridiculously retro-camp that you can't help but find charm in it.

tehroc said:
LOL! Does she really hate her fans that much?
Obviously, Rihanna let fans grope her in her photoshoots with fans.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
What?
Why?

Alright, this one doesn't exactly cross the line, but never the less it's time to stop giving GenX money.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
The old Megadrive version was one of those games like "Batman Forever" that genuinely wasn't as bad as people think it was. Compare it to, say, "Double Dragon" on the C64 (or most of the beat-em-ups on the C64, which did NOT do that genre well at all), and it was a shining beacon of competence. Its biggest problems were that the hitboxes were unreliable and the characters unbalanced. And ok, those are pretty big problems, but still not enough to earn it its "legendarily awful" status. It doesn't deserve mentioning in the same breath as, say, "E.T" or "Big Rigs".

It'll be interesting to see how this does, but I hope they don't make it "deliberately bad" like something like "Goat Simulator" and actually try and make it a decent game instead.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Wow, lots of people thiking this will be shit just because of the first game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as skeptic as anyone else, but Shaq has already stated that he himsef thought the previous game was utter shit, so he now wants to correct that.

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, if he manages to pull it off, then awesome!, if not, then meh, we can all point at it and laugh.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I thought Wii U was a stretch goal but hey, I'm not complaining. I bought the first one on the SNES and this new one looks like it will almost definitely be better than that. Admittedly, I don't remember seeing any gameplay, just that crazy teaser...Congrats Shaq, just don't Green Egg and, Ham it...