Star Wars: Battlefront Update Coming Next Month

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Star Wars: Battlefront Update Coming Next Month

Star Wars: Battlefront will finally be breaking radio silence at this year's E3.

It's been a long time since Star Wars: Battlefront fans have gotten their fix. The second game launched almost a decade ago, and while DICE rekindled that excitement with a teaser trailer at last year's E3, we've heard almost nothing substantial since then. Well, that's finally going to change: EA will be showing off Star Wars: Battlefront at E3 2014, along with up to five other EA titles - possibly including the Star Wars projects that Visceral Games and BioWare are quietly developing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123783-Electronic-Arts-Signs-Exclusive-Star-Wars-Game-Deal-With-Disney].

This promise comes from EA CEO Andrew Wilson. Wilson was asked about the status of EA's Star Wars projects in an investor call, to which he responded that Star Wars: Battlefront "and other new projects in development" are being prepared for appearances at E3. That means we only have to wait for about a month before getting a real look at Battlefront on the Frostbite engine.

E3 2014 is slated for June 10-12, though the press conferences will kick off a day before the expo proper. EA's press conference has been confirmed for June 9 at 12 p.m., so if they want to wow us with a Battlefront reveal, that's likely where they'll do it - be sure to tune in. Our Bothan spies will, of course, be reporting on the event as it happens.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/6/5688648/star-wars-battlefront-e3-2014]

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
DICE, this one should be easy. You mostly do what Battlefront 2 did and give us good maps, space combat that feels tense and put a shiny good coat of graphic. If you do that, I'll be happy.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Why is it that 'being prepared for appearances at E3' and 'a real look at Battlefront' do not strike me as honest statements?

E3 footage is more commonly being outed as heavily touched up, entirely unrepresentative of the final product which in turn means that there is very chance we are going to be getting 'a real look' at anything. Except maybe the title logo.

Please don't screw this one up DICE. Hopefully BF4 was only growing pains.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Oooh, really awesome. I was hoping for an actual gameplay look. Now that we're going to get such a look, maybe now we can see if we get the return of third/first person switching.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Many Bothans died to bring us this information. Depending on the content of the actual update, here's hoping their sacrifice will not be in vain.

In other words, I look forward to this immensely :)

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Put spacecraft back into air support roles a'la BF1, expand on the actual space battles from BF2 and I'm sold.

Matt Raven

Feb 15, 2011
I love Starwars but I hope this game fails spectacularly.

Maybe if they didn't release the hash that is BF4 and then not bother fixing it, I would be more excited for this game.

DICE YOU SUCK!

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Matt Raven said:

Maybe if they didn't release the hash that is BF4 and then not bother fixing it, I would be more excited for this game.

DICE YOU SUCK!
This isn't developed by the Swedish DICE studio (commonly referred to as just DICE) known for their work on the Battlefield series. It's a new development studio (DICE LA) based in Los Angeles with some developers from previous EA studios and such, mostly from "Danger Close" (previously EA Los Angeles (previously Westwood Pacific), known for MoH and C&C games). They just share the DICE name and the Frostbite engine, other than that, this is their first major release under this name.

Soooouh. I have no idea whether it's gonna be good or not, I'll have to wait and see for myself.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Matt Raven said:

DICE YOU SUCK!
The question is: is it DICE's fault because they're simply not competent, or is it EA's fault for rushing DICE, not giving them enough time and/or resources to properly deal with BF4. Seeing that DICE does have an overall good track record and EA having a less than stellar one, I think EA screwing up DICE is a more likely answer.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
mirage202 said:
E3 footage is more commonly being outed as heavily touched up, entirely unrepresentative of the final product which in turn means that there is very chance we are going to be getting 'a real look' at anything.
With any luck, that will mean that someone outside EA worked out that the Hoth battle didn't happen in a freaking blizzard like in the teaser, and the skies will be nice and clear in the game

Dragonlayer said:
Put spacecraft back into air support roles a'la BF1, expand on the actual space battles from BF2 and I'm sold.
Agreed. All I'll ever do in the game is be an Imperial or Rebel fighter pilot, or run around as a standard stormtrooper or Rebel dude. That's all I need, and if they can be combined all at once, with multiplayer bots, then I'm sold.

Definitely needs multiplayer bots though.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
I'd rather chop off my scrotum with a dull plastic spork, than give EA a single dollar ever again. So yeah, I'll probably pass on this.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Hawkeye21 said:
I'd rather chop off my scrotum with a dull plastic spork, than give EA a single dollar ever again. So yeah, I'll probably pass on this.
You understand I'll hold you to that.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Hawkeye21 said:
You understand I'll hold you to that.
I understand that every single YouTube comment that gets posted on a Call of Duty video applies here: The people who say "I'm not going to pay for this." are still going to buy it day one. Also, how do EA and Activision make so much money if only people who voiced their opinions on the Internet went and bought video games?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
In Battlefront 2 was the land and space battles seperate? I remember fighting and then jumping in ships to fighting in space. Maybe that level just started in a huge ship. Anyway, i would like that in the next one with both space and land battles happening at the same time so you could take off and attack land targets and then fly off into space to deal with enemy ships that were bombarding the planet. Would make for exciting battles, especially when online with loads of players.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I remember when I saw footage of a leaked alpha of what was then called battlefront 3. Just keep it like that. KEEP IT LIKE THAT, but just polish it enough for an AAA release, and we're good. Seamless space to ground combat would rule.

Also don't make skirmish modes multiplayer only.