Activision, Documentaries Are Not Ads: An Open Letter

Robert Rath

Oct 8, 2010
Activision, Documentaries Are Not Ads: An Open Letter

Critical Intel systematically dismantles the recent Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare advertisement, showing how it masquerades as a documentary while presenting gross distortions of the truth.

Read Full Article

Shaevar

Jan 29, 2011
I can see a lot of work was put in writing this open letter.

Great job presenting a more subtle and nuance picture of the situation. As someone who recently had to do some research about PMC's for one of my class, I can confirm that the situation is indeed very complex and a lot of preconceptions (such as the absurdly high salary of the average employee who, incidentally, aren't ALL special forces, SEALS and S.A.S.) about theses entities are flat-out false.

Well written, informative and critical. If I'm lurking on this website regularly, it's because of pieces like that.

Keep up the good work, please.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I think that might just be the best thing I ever read on this site. Shocking, and leaving a rather bad taste in my mouth, but very interesting. I'm glad you called this to my attention. I must say, the idea of games companies producing documentaries on the subjects of their games is intriguing, I imagine Wargaming and Gaijin could produce some great ones about WWII and post-war armoured/aerial/naval warfare.

Hmm... there might be something to this idea. A really good something as well.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
This is a very good and well-considered article. Quite possibly the best piece I've seen on this site in the last five years.

Sorry I don't have anything more substantive to add than that -- although I can say, from what I've read since 9/11, your final point about there being no need to sensationalize the troubling rise of PMCs is spot on.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
I'm not sure I've said it before, but Critical Intel is the best column on The Escapist. The research is impeccable, and it's rarely less than fascinating. You're doing great work.

Speaking as a UK resident, the whole thing about G4S having a private army of 600,000 people is especially laughable. The London Olympics are only the most prominent example of them screwing up lately, and they've failed to deliver on what they were hired for over and over again in the last couple of years. Even really small-scale stuff has proved beyond their capabilities alarmingly often. If the disorganisation they've demonstrated in the last few years is anything to go by, I don't think we need to worry about them "taking over".

I do find the idea of PMCs pretty alarming, though. I sort of understand the necessity on a theoretical level, but I don't like the idea of one person having access to large-scale military capability. If you're the sort of person who wants to be in charge of a private army, you probably shouldn't be allowed to be in charge of a private army.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
Excellent critique! The idea of misleading documentaries being used as advertisement is troubling to say the least, especially considering that the great majority of "legitimate" documentaries range from 'okay' to 'absolute trash' already. Out of the hundreds of documentaries about World War II (including battles, generals, etc. etc.), the number of 'decent' to 'good' ones is extremely small.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
That vid needed a cameo from Giorgio A. Tsoukalos to lend it real credibility.

Shalok

May 28, 2012
Thank you for writing this Robert, as always this is a very well researched and articulated column. I can only agree with Anachronism on the whole G4S thing, they are almost seen as a joke here in the UK and are a benchmark for bad performance.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Excellent, excellent article.

But can we examine, for a moment, the entire premise of a PMC 'taking over'? What would be the point of them doing that? It's not exactly a profitable enterprise to seize hold of a large country if your only motivation is money.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Really great read. Glad to know about all of this. I hope Activision gets the message (I'm sure they won't, but a man can dream). It's sad because back in the day they seemed to care, at least somewhat, about research in CoD. Now they just don't seem to have any idea what they're doing. Great to read a sensible take down of their crap.

Jupiter065

Aug 12, 2008
Good article, the division between paid ad and actual journalism is rapidly disappearing, with even more progressive places like Huffington Post routinely printing Corporate-PR-written, paid ads without labeling them as such.

For more examples, see everything written by Devin Connors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/articles/Devin%20Connors] on this very site...

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I applaud you sir, if not for the fantastic breakdown and dedication to journalistic integrity, then simply to that hilarious but cold sign off.

Keep up the good work!

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Kumagawa Misogi said:
"The keyword here is private employer, meaning the owners are individuals and the stock isn't offered publically."

I don't agree with this definition, generally when people say private employer they mean anyone employed not by a government.

Volkswagen and McDonalds are both publically traded companies as is G4S itself and yet when talking about there employees they are referred to as private employers.
It's a context-sensitive term. Since the surrounding context was ambiguous (or outright wrong), the documentary should have clarified it meant private sector to avoid the confusion with private company in the first place.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Great article. While I've indeed heard troublesome news about PMC's that "documentary" ticked me off as well with the first few lines: "Wars aren't fought for politics or cultural differences anymore", shuure...

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Jupiter065 said:
Good article, the division between paid ad and actual journalism is rapidly disappearing, with even more progressive places like Huffington Post routinely printing Corporate-PR-written, paid ads without labeling them as such.

For more examples, see everything written by Devin Connors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/articles/Devin%20Connors] on this very site...
Care to back that accusation up with anything other than meaningless bile?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Excellent article, and a right good burn on Activision, again. I take a warped twisted glee from when you rip into the latest Call of Duty for doing something especially stupid. Between EA and Activision, IDK who's more inept and greedy.