Watch_Dogs Trailer Introduces a Colorful Cast of Characters

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Watch_Dogs Trailer Introduces a Colorful Cast of Characters

The new Watch_Dogs trailer takes a look at some of the less-than-savory characters you'll be dealing with on your journeys through the mean streets of Chicago.

No man is an island - not even Aiden Pearce, the hacker and troublemaker at the center of Ubisoft's upcoming Watch_Dogs. It only makes sense that he'd make some friends - and some enemies - as he roams the mean streets of the Windy City. But telling which is which? That can be tricky when you're dealing with such a eclectic bunch.

My take: Clara is okay, T-Bone looks shaky, Jordi isn't to be trusted, Anthony seems solid and Dermot comes off like one of those old-time gangsters with a code of honor that's carved in stone. But who knows? The only thing I can say for sure is that the voice acting really needs work.

Watch_Dogs comes out on May 27 for the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PC. (Which means it's probably way too late for that whole voice acting thing, right?)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Sexy, tattooed goth girl hacker with an accent..?

Gee, don't strain yourself there, Ubisoft.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I have to wonder what exactly is with the trailer that made me have to verify my age?

Whatever, okay this trailer looks interesting. Double points for adding in a prominent Asian character. Outside of Japanese games (where it's automaticlaly assumed that the character despite appearances is Japanese) I don't think I can quite remember any games in the Western market that featured a main Japanese (or Asian so please correct me on this) character that didn't revolve around fighting games.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hm, I have to say this is actually kind of interesting. Points for them marketing story that makes it clear that they are actually interested in telling one. Let's see if it can hold up on release.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
I'm ashamed to admit that but kinda stopped caring when they downgraded the visuals.

Also dub step hurr durr!

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
james.sponge said:
I'm ashamed to admit that but kinda stopped caring when they downgraded the visuals.

Also dub step hurr durr!
You dissing the Glitch Mob?

ARE YA?

O_O (I honestly don't care :D)

OT:
Yeah, stuff. I knew the story was going to be somewhat worthwhile from their original teaser unless they planned to completely drop the ball since that point. Last thing to do is wait and see I suppose.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Eh, nothing of interest here. Characters are all pretty cliched and the voice-acting is abysmal. Like just awful. Sounds like the actors were only doing it for the paycheck and put no emotion in at all. I'll still buy, but I'm on the edge now.

SporkySpork

Feb 19, 2014
You know, I'm really not hyped for this game at all anymore, and the weird thing is I don't remember why I was initially hyped for it all, now that I think about it. The gameplay doesn't look like anything I haven't seen done before, the hacking looks like a gimmick, the characters look and sound like cliches, and the story is a generic "MUST TAKE REVENGE FOR DEAD FAMILY LADY" style set-up.

Just... what was I thinking?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Yeah, Watch_Dogs doesn't really seem to have the juice it once did, eh?

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
It's weird. In all of the story-gameplay vids I watched(namely, the 2012 E3 Demo, 2013 E3 Demo, and TGS 2013 Demo) I actually kinda liked the acting in those scenes(Jordi Especially). But here, in this trailer the voice acting seems... off, like it came from an entirely different version of the game, with an entirely different direction than before, and not in a good way. We'll have to see when it's out.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Yeah, Watch_Dogs doesn't really seem to have the juice it once did, eh?
That's because the juice was in our head all along... And we drank it while waiting for this game to come out.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
Dragonbums said:
I have to wonder what exactly is with the trailer that made me have to verify my age?

Whatever, okay this trailer looks interesting. Double points for adding in a prominent Asian character. Outside of Japanese games (where it's automaticlaly assumed that the character despite appearances is Japanese) I don't think I can quite remember any games in the Western market that featured a main Japanese (or Asian so please correct me on this) character that didn't revolve around fighting games.
The only ones I can think of are Mirror's Edge and Portal (1 & 2).

All the others I'm thinking of I guess you wouldn't count, like shooters and violent games of the like - like Sleeping Dogs.

Khrowley

Feb 4, 2012
I see our protagonist has been gargling his gravel everyday to prepare for his role.