Watch Dogs on PS4 to Be at 1080p and 60fps According to Sony - Update

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Watch Dogs on PS4 to Be at 1080p and 60fps According to Sony - Update

Sony's listing claims "The True Watch Dogs Experience. Only on PS4," and mentions it will feature "the best graphics on any console."

Update:

The official Sony listing [http://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/watch-dogs-ps4?CMP=soc_us__gm_psblog_topbanner_3_4_14] has now taken out any mention of the 1080p/60fps wording it had in the blurb before. Does this mean this was a goof on Sony's marketing department or was the company just not ready to share that bit of info yet? Your guess is as good as mine at this point. Let's hope Ubisoft gives the official word soon.

Original Story:
While Ubisoft has yet to confirm on exactly what resolution and frame-rate it's upcoming open-world game Watch Dogs will be on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, it seems Sony has answered that particular question for the publisher. In a post on the official PlayStation site, [http://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/watch-dogs-ps4?CMP=soc_us__gm_psblog_topbanner_3_4_14] Watch Dog's game listing states that gamers can experience "The True Watch Dogs Experience. Only on PlayStation." In the same listing, it also mentions that the PS4 version of the game will feature "the best graphics on any console," and touts that it will run at 60fps (frames-per-second) and in 1080p.

Here's the entire blurb that highlights the PS4's technical advantage:

The world of Watch_Dogs comes alive on PS4 with the best graphics on any console and exclusive missions found only on PlayStation. Hack everything as you make your way through Chicago's underground as you experience Watch_Dogs in a way that only PS4 can provide, at 60 Frames Per Second in 1080p."

Keep in mind that this isn't an outright confirmation by Ubisoft, but seeing as it's worded that way, it does seem like this is the real deal -- at least for the PS4 version. To date, we've yet to hear word on what resolution the Xbox One version will be at, though the game's animation director states that both versions are "identical in almost every way." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133530-Watch-Dogs-PS4-Xbox-One-Identical-in-Almost-Every-Way] But based on Sony's claims that Watch Dogs on PS4 has "the best graphics on console," don't be surprised if the Xbox One version is at a lower resolution and/or frame-rate.

For more on Watch Dogs, go take The Escapist's contest to get the chance to win a copy of the game. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134122-Watch-Dogs-Season-Pass-Includes-Story-Campaign-Cyborg-Conspiracy]

Is this news enough for you to choose the PS4 version of Watch Dogs over the Xbox One? Or you don't really care which one is technically superior provided the game's fun?

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/watch-dogs-ps4?CMP=soc_us__gm_psblog_topbanner_3_4_14]

Apr 5, 2008
you experience Watch_Dogs in a way that only PS4 can provide, at 60 Frames Per Second in 1080p.
I love that this is newsworthy. Every game on PC runs at this resolution and refresh rate and those with larger or multiple monitors can run higher and 120Hz TN displays can run the game faster, or in 3D. There's no modern title I cannot run at that res, well done PS4 for having one title that can run at a level PCs have taken for granted for over 5 years.

As for "best graphics on any console", that's obviously true since objectively it is the best specced platform. But apart from resolution and frame rate, does it have any different textures, tesselation or other software tricks that make it different from other versions? I doubt it.

Can't enter that competition, it won't accept any Email login details but only wants my social networking login and permissions. I am quite uncomfortable sharing my personal information with a 3rd party and would like to see Escapist competitions brought back in-house instead of this sordid company. It borders on phishing quite frankly.

Don't do Season Passes any more either. Been burned by them too often and I no longer have the good will to pay in advance for a promise of unknown content on a game that isn't even released. I'll buy this one when it's "complete" and includes all DLC content in one purchase.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
That's great news for PS4 owners. Their willingness to take the huge risk and pay a $100 less for a 50% better piece of hardware than the competitor seems to be paying off.

Yeah, I'd never skip the chance to diss the Xbone.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
KingsGambit said:
I love that this is newsworthy. Every game on PC runs at this resolution and refresh rate and those with larger or multiple monitors can run higher and 120Hz TN displays can run the game faster, or in 3D. There's no modern title I cannot run at that res, well done PS4 for having one title that can run at a level PCs have taken for granted for over 5 years.
In fairness, they aren't competing with PC. They're competing with Microsoft's console division and those guys who made that tablet thing.

I mean, people can say "PC GAMING MASTER RACE" all they want, but the console crowd will still infight over who has the best graphics and whatnot on their non-upgradable boxes because they either cannot or don't want to game on a PC. It makes sense that companies will play it up and sites dedicated to gaming will fuel the pissing contest.

Don't do Season Passes any more either. Been burned by them too often and I no longer have the good will to pay in advance for a promise of unknown content on a game that isn't even released. I'll buy this one when it's "complete" and includes all DLC content in one purchase.
For the record, you can buy a season pass after the content is released. The last time I bought one was Borderlands 2. On Sale. With all the content released. I'm amazed that so many people do buy the DLC sight unseen, though, so I see where you're coming from. It's bad enough they want you to pre-order a game based on promises that probably aren't true. Now they're asking for money for a vague promise of undefined future content, too.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
Yeah, I'd never skip the chance to diss the Xbone.
It deserves it. I'm trying to talk my friends out of continuing to go Xbox when they upgrade because I don't want to have to buy one just to play with them.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I massively doubt the 60fps on the ps4, but if i am wrong hopefully that translates to the game also running well on PC's, remember the only open world game on the last consoles to achieve 60fps was Driver: San Fransisco.

Apr 5, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
KingsGambit said:
In fairness, they aren't competing with PC. They're competing with Microsoft's console division and those guys who made that tablet thing.

I mean, people can say "PC GAMING MASTER RACE" all they want, but the console crowd will still infight over who has the best graphics and whatnot on their non-upgradable boxes because they either cannot or don't want to game on a PC. It makes sense that companies will play it up and sites dedicated to gaming will fuel the pissing contest.
Okay, I'll concede that one within the context of the latest battle in the Console Wars. But I still resent that the "True experience" is "only on PS4" when that's not the case, since Watch Dogs is already available for pre-order on Steam. The same game, a different platform, the same or better experience. It's a patently false claim, regardless of how definitive an experience the PS4 version turns out to be within the console space specifically.

At best, they can claim to be on par with the PC version. At worst, they can claim to be the second best after the PC version.

I'll also concede that "exclusive missions" (which add an extra 60 minutes of content according to other web sites) could add something extra to that particular version. But then again on the PC we'll have mods, cheats, tweaks and other things simply by virtue of having access to the files and memory.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I tend to take advertisements with a hint of salt.

I'll believe it when I see it. As we know, it's hard to trust anything that ubisoft says about this game.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I don't wanna sound rude, but do console only players do even know the difference between 30 and 60 after playing the majority of their games on 30fps for so long? (you get accustomed to that).

Also, Sony can be lying because of what I wrote above..just saying.

With that said, I hope it's true for those who bought PS4. But truth be told, with the recommended requirements for WD I don't see it happening.

Mothhive

Apr 2, 2010
KingsGambit said:
I'll also concede that "exclusive missions" (which add an extra 60 minutes of content according to other web sites) could add something extra to that particular version. But then again on the PC we'll have mods, cheats, tweaks and other things simply by virtue of having access to the files and memory.
Those "exclusive" missions are all on PC as well though, you just have to buy the Digital Deluxe edition or better to get them, whereas on PS4 they come with the base game.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
DarkhoIlow said:
I don't wanna sound rude, but do console only players do even know the difference between 30 and 60 after playing the majority of their games on 30fps for so long? (you get accustomed to that).

Also, Sony can be lying because of what I wrote above..just saying.

With that said, I hope it's true for those who bought PS4. But truth be told, with the recommended requirements for WD I don't see it happening.
Not every console release runs at 30, just many. Anyone who has played CoD on last-gen knows what 60 FPS is and what it isn't, pretty much.

Also, no real reason for them to lie right now. Sony doesn't really need to paint themselves up to be better as long as they just continue to not look as bad as the competition :p

Apr 5, 2008
Mothhive said:
Those "exclusive" missions are all on PC as well though, you just have to buy the Digital Deluxe edition or better to get them, whereas on PS4 they come with the base game.
So...the definitive experience isn't definitive and the exclusive content isn't exclusive. Considering that the screenshots to date aren't true screenshots I'm left wondering what we've actually seen or heard about this game that is true. About the only thing I can think of that can be said with certainty is that there's a guy in it and it will be available to buy one day.

Are XBox owners concerned about this news? I suppose they're ultimately the ones for whom the above could prove disappointing. Are PS4 owners happy? Are either of the above even going to buy it?

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
given that seemingly all or most multiplatform games being releaseed on PS4 have a higher resolution of 1080p native verses the usually upscaled resolution on xbone, is this really a surprise?

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
In another words, "suck it Xbox"

I plan on getting on PS4 if I ever plan on getting one. So this is not a bad news for me.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
I Love all these Sony thralls saying "yes, thank you glorious Sony our master race ascends!", When this has been the minimum standard for a good port on PC for years. In addition to that, this game isn't even that visually impressive by PC standards. It was......[a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.844254-Watch-Dogs-suffers-bullshots-scandal-Ubi-damage-control-censorship-update]but then[/a].

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Jesus. Christ. We get it okay? You have a PC !!! OMG !!! It can be upgraded and make things look/play better! WE FUCKING GET IT.

I own a PC too, i'm sitting at it right now in fact. I also have a Playstation, in a small comfy room with surround sound, a 60inch TV and complete darkness that i can get completely absorbed in.

It's not practical to move my PC to another room.

I play games on my PC. I love playing RTS games and games like Civ on my pc.

I like playing games on my Playstation. Dark Souls, DS2, and other action games that lend themselves well to controllers.

Why is one (PC) fundamentally BETTER than the other, when the clear winner is actually THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.

OT. I find myself hard to care about this game, or be interested in it. Seems like it will be one that i play through once and put it away again forever.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
WWmelb said:
Jesus. Christ. We get it okay? You have a PC !!! OMG !!! It can be upgraded and make things look/play better! WE FUCKING GET IT.

I own a PC too, i'm sitting at it right now in fact. I also have a Playstation, in a small comfy room with surround sound, a 60inch TV and complete darkness that i can get completely absorbed in.

It's not practical to move my PC to another room.

I play games on my PC. I love playing RTS games and games like Civ on my pc.

I like playing games on my Playstation. Dark Souls, DS2, and other action games that lend themselves well to controllers.

Why is one (PC) fundamentally BETTER than the other, when the clear winner is actually THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.

OT. I find myself hard to care about this game, or be interested in it. Seems like it will be one that i play through once and put it away again forever.
This is news about the PS4, not a PC. Where are you going with your train of thought?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Evil Smurf said:
This is news about the PS4, not a PC. Where are you going with your train of thought?
Might have been a post directed at the PC crowd in this here topic?