Game of Lady Bones

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
I think at a certain point disfigurement becomes a logistical problem for the make-up department so they have to take some liberties with the books.

EDIT:
In response to people saying "Well what about [insert show here]";
Yes, WHAT ABOUT THAT SHOW, Game of Thrones is not that Show.

In response to people saying "What about the mountain";
He's not in it anywhere near as much as Tyrion.

owbu

Feb 14, 2011
They could at least dye Theons hair white like it is in the book. That doesnt sound like too much to ask from the makeup people. Right now he looks like he is having a fun ride through the park.
ALternativly they could replace the actor with the alfie doll from lilly allens song about her brother.

Jan 12, 2012
Revolutionary said:
I think at a certain point disfigurement becomes a logistical problem for the make-up department so they have to take some liberties with the books.
Sure, cutting off Tyrion's nose is hard, but it's pretty straightforward to make a good-looking person look pretty awful. If nothing else, they could blacken up Reek's teeth or otherwise give him some physical signs of the abuse he suffered.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Revolutionary said:
Sure, cutting off Tyrion's nose is hard, but it's pretty straightforward to make a good-looking person look pretty awful. If nothing else, they could blacken up Reek's teeth or otherwise give him some physical signs of the abuse he suffered.
Christian Bale can do that for a MOVIE. Ain't no actor gonna do that for a potentially (haven't read the books) long running TV series. Can you imagine if "The Machinist" was a series, and you had to do that to your body every season?

I'm also not familiar with the GoT tv series, but film is a visual medium so despite the amount of effort and expense to make someone look grotesque for a tv series, there's also continuity issues, I suppose. Also, the audience is shallow. They want "beautiful" ugly people.

I'm now familiar with "yaoi manga," so thank you for that, I think.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Most of this Game of Thrones stuff is lost on me because I don't watch the show, but I find the idea of sexy torture victim mildly disturbing. I say "mildly" because internet.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Vault101 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
You can't mess up Tyrion's face.

How else is he gonna be the GoT golden boy?
who cut up tyrion's face?
In the Battle of the Blackwater, some knight of the Kingsguard hits him with a... I want to say battleaxe, but maybe a sword. His face ends up like the description in the comic, making his nose basically a scab and taking off a chunk of his mouth. In the show the scar is so small you can forget about it fairly easily.

But yeah the thing with Tyrion and Reek especially frustrates me. Reek in the show is basically just
a greasy Theon with a stutter.
Kind of missing the point.

I just hope they don't fuck up
Lady Stoneheart. Though considering Catelyn didn't scratch up her face in the books during the Red Wedding she probably won't be looking near as demonic as imagined.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Eh, I can understand them not going full Reek. There's only so much you can do to make the body of a young, healthy, toned TV actor look like an emaciated, mutilated torture victim.

Tyrion's scar kinda bothers me though. In The Books[sup]TM[/sup] he gets a sizeable chunk of his face hacked off. In the TV show he has a line on his cheek. Once again, there's only so much they can do with makeup, but I'd have thought they could do more than that.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
canadamus_prime said:
Most of this Game of Thrones stuff is lost on me because I don't watch the show, but I find the idea of sexy torture victim mildly disturbing. I say "mildly" because internet.
Considering stuff I've stumbled upon on my fanart searches... probably safest to not go there.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
I fully expected Ramsay to plop into that tub and start making love to theon

I was sorely disappointed

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Daystar Clarion said:
You can't mess up Tyrion's face.

How else is he gonna be the GoT golden boy?
Why with that sliver tongue of his of course.

xD Everyone wants them some of that.

<.< Some just happen to want to cut it out of his head....
Zhukov said:
Eh, I can understand them not going full Reek. There's only so much you can do to make the body of a young, healthy, toned TV actor look like an emaciated, mutilated torture victim.

Tyrion's scar kinda bothers me though. In The Books[sup]TM[/sup] he gets a sizeable chunk of his face hacked off. In the TV show he has a line on his cheek. Once again, there's only so much they can do with makeup, but I'd have thought they could do more than that.
Yeah, they can't make everything the same, but they could at least make what they do have a bit more noticeable.

Then again, the show sure does like to focus on it's sexy junk. ;p

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Can the next comic please be about something else? It's getting a bit boring now!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Revolutionary said:
That doesn't explain why they go the "underwear model" route.

canadamus_prime said:
If it was really "because internet" then you wouldn't bat an eyelash.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I was less bothered by Tyrion's treatment in the show. I get why they kept Dinklage's face relatively unspoiled, as he is a super popular, likable character, and it's a lot easier to keep that going when you don't look like Skeletor.

The Reek stuff, though, disappoints me. He is supposed to be basically Gollum at this point. Whereas the decision to keep Tyrion unSkeletored was done to keep a good thing going, keeping Theon as pretty as he is totally undermines the effect. I realize you can't exactly make the actor starve himself and shit, but he should at least be a white-haired, hunched over, gibbering mess. He should at least look as emaciated and sick as makeup can get him.

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
I realize you can't exactly make the actor starve himself and shit, but he should at least be a white-haired, hunched over, gibbering mess. He should at least look as emaciated and sick as makeup can get him.
Maybe they should have cast Christian Bale as Theon; from what I heard he doesn't have much of a problem with loosing or gaining weight for a role.

Though that might have some adverse effects on the show, such as:

- having a way too old Theon
- not having any money left for the rest of the show
- Batman

Edit: I just found out that Bale earned only 250k for his role in The Machinist... wow.

ShinobiJedi42

May 7, 2012
They'll probably make Lady Stoneheart all sexy-like too even though she's supposed to be frighteningly hideous.

ricree

Mar 8, 2014
Jimothy Sterling said:
The Reek stuff, though, disappoints me. He is supposed to be basically Gollum at this point. Whereas the decision to keep Tyrion unSkeletored was done to keep a good thing going, keeping Theon as pretty as he is totally undermines the effect. I realize you can't exactly make the actor starve himself and shit, but he should at least be a white-haired, hunched over, gibbering mess. He should at least look as emaciated and sick as makeup can get him.
Eh, the important point, for me at least, was psychological anyway. I think they've been doing a pretty good job of it so far.

Jan 12, 2012
tdylan said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Christian Bale can do that for a MOVIE. Ain't no actor gonna do that for a potentially (haven't read the books) long running TV series. Can you imagine if "The Machinist" was a series, and you had to do that to your body every season?

I'm also not familiar with the GoT tv series, but film is a visual medium so despite the amount of effort and expense to make someone look grotesque for a tv series, there's also continuity issues, I suppose. Also, the audience is shallow. They want "beautiful" ugly people.
I wouldn't expect Alfie Allen to go as far as Bale did; I just linked him and Theron from Monster to show how they can make good-looking people ugly. But he could stand to lose 20-30 pounds of muscle. Plenty of actors have done that for TV, andit would make him look much more believable as a torture victim. Continuity shouldn't be too much of a problem; I'm sure he can stay at a relatively stable, healthy weight that doesn't make him look like a model that's rubbed some dirt on his face.