Full Trailer For Christopher Nolan's Interstellar

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Full Trailer For Christopher Nolan's Interstellar

Matthew McConaughey heads for the stars as the Inception helmer heads for Spielberg Country.

Behold the first full (i.e. "Oh, that's what this movie is about!") trailer for Christopher Nolan's big sci-fi opus Interstellar, which stars Matthew McConaughey as the leader of an astronaut team sent to explore a newly-discovered wormhole that could change human space-travel forever. The film's original premise was concieved by theoretical physicist Kip Thorne.

As with most Nolan productions, the film's storyline is a closely-guarded secret. But the trailer would seem to reveal that it takes place in a near-future scenario where Earth has been blighted by climate change and other disaster scenarios, while dialogue heavily implies that the heroes are exploring the wormhole as a possible method for humanity escaping a doomed planet. The film was originally concieved as a Steven Spielberg production from a script by Johnathan Nolan, and it should be interesting to see how the Nolan Bros. penchant for grim, detached procedurals fit together with the "Spielbergian" emotive/awe-driven elements still clearly present.

Hollywood, certainly, seems convinced that the film will be something special; as multiple studios and production companies have been scrambling to collaborate with the project's original studio, Paramount, since it began development in 2007. Warner Bros is said to have traded partial rights to planned future Friday the 13th and South Park features in order to join Team Interstellar, and Legendary Pictures bowed-out of financing Man of Steel sequels in order to invest as well.

Interstellar opens November 7, 2014.

Source: Warner Bros UK [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWdZVtXT7E]

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Can you link movies trailers to imdb instead of youtube next time? youtube is blocked in more countries than imdb, thanks.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Yikes. That's by FAR the most realistic looking wormhole I've ever seen on screen. None of this cloudy blue wavy stuff from Star Trek, or glowing warp stars or anything like that - just, well, a decent impression of bent space.

I'm also getting a worrying vibe that relativity might have something to say about them coming home from this trip within a reasonable timescale.

But yeah. This looks good. Can anyone identify the trailer music?

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Nolan directing, Michael Caine, and I think I spied a glimpse of Jessica Chastain. Yes, please.

For a while there it seemed like Matthew McConaughey jumped into the crazy boat, but at least he's not 'Amanda Bynes crazy [http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/30/article-2333364-19FB42CA000005DC-186_634x738.jpg]' I suppose.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I don't get it. Really not seeing much to get all that excited about yet.

I mean, it's a (seemingly decently realistic) space movie, and we really need more of those to maybe kinda hopefully get the public interested in space exploration again, but I'm not seeing anything here that actually makes me interested in the movie. Maybe I'm just blind.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
King Whurdler said:
FizzyIzze said:
Nolan directing, Michael Caine, and I think I spied a glimpse of Jessica Chastain. Yes, please.

For a while there it seemed like Matthew McConaughey jumped into the crazy boat, but at least he's not 'Amanda Bynes crazy [http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/30/article-2333364-19FB42CA000005DC-186_634x738.jpg]' I suppose.
If McConaughey being crazy means I get performances like the ones in 'MUD,' and 'Killer Joe,' then I'll gladly have him stark raving.

OT: Ooooh, that looks really good. It looks really contemplative and well thought out, exactly the kind of Sci-Fi I like.
Hmm, Mud is on Netflix Streaming. Might have to check it out.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
The_Darkness said:
Yikes. That's by FAR the most realistic looking wormhole I've ever seen on screen. None of this cloudy blue wavy stuff from Star Trek, or glowing warp stars or anything like that - just, well, a decent impression of bent space.
One has to ask how you know what a wormhole/bent space looks like.

But, yeah, this looks like an interesting movie about doing what humans are destined to do: Colonize other planets.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Interesting, if a bit annoying that there's a "lone parent with kids" thing going on.

Because exploring space through an untested method of traversal isn't scary and daunting enough, of course we need to crowbar in a family somewhere!

But perhaps I am jaded, needless to say, the trailer has gripped me with interest.

Will take a note to observe this as it develops.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I just saw this trailer today as it was one of the trailers for Godzilla.

It kind of look interesting (it does look like the Earth is dying since the launch off is not as fancy and the whole burning crop thing).

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
The_Darkness said:
...Can anyone identify the trailer music?
I'm guessing it's original to the movie, done by Hans Zimmer. The "Interstellar" link on his official/unofficial sites turn up nothing as well. Looks like you'll have to wait until the movie comes out.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
The Gentleman said:
The_Darkness said:
A degree in astrophysics, a decent knowledge of gravitational lensing (which is bent space) and a ridiculous amount of my spare time thinking about how light would travel through a 4d tunnel...

You did ask :)

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
The_Darkness said:
The Gentleman said:
The_Darkness said:
A degree in astrophysics, a decent knowledge of gravitational lensing (which is bent space) and a ridiculous amount of my spare time thinking about how light would travel through a 4d tunnel...

You did ask :)
I'll take your word for it. If anything else, this movie seems to be going for a "if this were real" vibe.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
FizzyIzze said:
The_Darkness said:
I'm guessing it's original to the movie, done by Hans Zimmer. The "Interstellar" link on his official/unofficial sites turn up nothing as well. Looks like you'll have to wait until the movie comes out.
Ordinarily I agree... Except that I know I recognise the piece from somewhere...

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
If this movie is a 2001 but with a more focus on the charterers relationships, I could dig it.

I bet you all that McConaughey will transcends physical form. He becomes a floating, omnipotent intelligence, the star-child, oblivion, whatever, I am calling it.

Because it looks like that.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Shiftygiant said:
If this movie is a 2001 but with a more focus on the charterers relationships, I could dig it.

I bet you all that McConaughey will transcends physical form. He becomes a floating, omnipotent intelligence, the star-child, oblivion, whatever, I am calling it.

Personally I'm betting that he comes home about a month later... To find his daughter fully grown up because years have passed back on Earth.

AgentQV

Nov 24, 2009
The_Darkness said:
FizzyIzze said:
The_Darkness said:
Ordinarily I agree... Except that I know I recognise the piece from somewhere...
IT's Evey Reborn from V for Vendetta, I only know that because I've been listening to the soundtrack for a while.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
The_Darkness said:
Shiftygiant said:

Personally I'm betting that he comes home about a month later... To find his daughter fully grown up because years have passed back on Earth.
Yeah, Relativity typically does not react well to you bending the very fabric of spacetime

Captcha: Is it hot?

Who flicked the mode switch to "Sent." again?

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Hmm. I am not on board with the whole 'Earth is doomed' trope and the family thing, but the space stuff looks gorgeous. I guess I'll have to see, I didn't expect much from Inception either but I absolutely loved that.

Whatever it's going to be, more actualy sci-fi is never a bad thing!