"Biggest Dinosaur Ever" Discovered in Argentina - 40m Long, 20m Tall

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
"Biggest Dinosaur Ever" Discovered in Argentina - 40m Long, 20m Tall

Paleontologists say the newly discovered beast was the largest creature to ever walk the surface of the earth.

Paleontologists in Argentina have discovered the gargantuan bones of a new breed of dinosaur, believed to be the largest creature ever to walk the surface of the earth. Based on its huge thigh bones, the newly discovered dinosaur was 40m (130ft) long, 20m (65ft) tall and weight a whopping 77 tonnes. To put that into perspective for you - that's as heavy as 14 full-grown African elephants.

Scientists believe it is a new species of titanosaur - an enormous herbivore dating from the Late Cretaceous period. The fossils were then excavated by a team of palaeontologists from the Museum of Palaeontology Egidio Feruglio, led by Dr Jose Luis Carballido and Dr Diego Pol. They unearthed the partial skeletons of seven individuals - about 150 bones in total - all in "remarkable condition".

"Given the size of these bones, which surpass any of the previously known giant animals, the new dinosaur is the largest animal known that walked on Earth," the researchers told BBC News, adding "Standing with its neck up, it was about 20m high - equal to a seven-storey building.

The dinosaur doesn't have a name yet, as the researched explained "It will be named describing its magnificence and in honour to both the region and the farm owners who alerted us about the discovery." A local farm worker first stumbled on the remains in the desert near La Flecha, about 250km (135 miles) west of Trelew, Patagonia.

However, the new discovery does face a little bit of skepticism from the scientific community. Dr Paul Barrett, a dinosaur expert from London's Natural History Museum, agreed the new species is "a genuinely big critter. But there are a number of similarly sized big sauropod thigh bones out there," he cautioned.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27441156]

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
No shit it's a Titanosaur, it's a big sauropod from Argentina. Was there some possibility of it NOT being a Titanosaur?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I doubt those numbers, if there's one thing i've learn't as a palaeo student, it's that some folks have a tendency to get a wee bit over zealous with the measurements.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
As well they should be skeptical. A tentative find like this is cool and exciting, but pointless without verification.

RatherDull said:
You know with what came out recently what the comments are going to be like.
It's going to be compared to Spider-Man?

Ohhh...You mean that OTHER movie that came out.

PunkRex said:
I doubt those numbers, if there's one thing i've learn't as a palaeo student, it's that some folks have a tendency to get a wee bit over zealous with the measurements.
Do they ever use the "of course it's smaller now, it's cold out" excuse?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
RatherDull said:
You know with what came out recently what the comments are going to be like.
No clue what you're talking about, but I hear that if you examine the bones of a Jesusaurus Rex, you'll quickly discover that Mountain Dew is the greatest soda ever made.

By the way, everyone, no need to look it up - a Titanosaur actually looked like this:

Terrifying things. And they say science is boring. The fools!

Quite the inspiring name, but not the most imaginative; there's always a bigger dragon.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Wonder what shit name they're going to give it this time. Can they possibly beat Argentinosaurus, Gigantosaurus and Spinosaurus. Fuckin' gen Y, making me look bad.

I agree with bigfatcrap, just a big version of something, like Argentinosaurus.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Maybe it was just an ancient chicken with a massive leg? Which such a cumbersome and no doubt delicious leg, no wonder they went extinct. Colonel Sandersaurus probably had a good Titanochicken recipe back in the day.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
PunkRex said:
"I swear it's that big! It's a grower, not a shower... <_<"

kat-pottz

Jan 25, 2011
RA92 said:
PunkRex said:

I'm sorry I had to

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vivi22 said:
Only if Movie Bob decides to comment. XD
"This bone has been buried for millions of years--only slightly longer than the Amazing Spider-Man 2."

(Obviously a fake quote, in no waay intended to actually be attributed to Moviebob)

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
PunkRex said:
Do they ever use the "of course it's smaller now, it's cold out" excuse?
No, we don't get to handle the actual fossils yet... the lecturers always seem to have a head ache...

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
kat-pottz said:
RA92 said:
PunkRex said:

I'm sorry I had to

Never apologize for Seinfeld!