Mars One Narrows Applicant Pool to 758 Potential Colonists

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Mars One Narrows Applicant Pool to 758 Potential Colonists

Mars One has narrowed its pool of potential martian colonists from over 200,000 applicants to 758, which include married men and women who may never see their spouses again.

By 2025, humanity will have established a permanent colony on Mars. At least, that's the objective of Mars One, a nonprofit organization that wants to send four people to Mars in 2024 and subsequent groups thereafter.

But who would be willing to undertake such a dangerous mission - one that would likely mean never again returning to Earth? Over 200,000 people, apparently, because that was the number of applications Mars One received. The team initially narrowed down the number of potential applicants to 1,058 individuals [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131090-Mars-One-Narrows-Applicant-Pool-to-1058-Potential-Colonists] and have now further narrowed that number down to 705 candidates, who are said to have dropped out for personal or medical reasons. The remaining candidates will be interviewed by a selection committee.

One such candidate is Dr. Leila Zucker, who has been married for 21 years. Her husband doesn't want her to go, she said, but he supports her following her dreams. "Both of us are space enthusiasts," she said. "Humanity needs to expand off Earth if we expect the human race to succeed in any way beyond just basic survival." Zucker also said that if she is selected to go to Mars, she will likely offer her husband a divorce, but will continue wearing her wedding ring regardarless.

Candidate Dan Carey has a wife and two college-age children. "She's concerned that she's going to have to watch me die on television," he said of his wife, who is not pleased about her husband's decision.

Sachin Desai and his wife Ankita Ritwik applied together. While he is aware that the trip might challenge their marriage, he said that enough marriages are strained on Earth, and he could not go to Mars without his wife.

Source: CNN [http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/16/tech/innovation/mars-one-candidates/]

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Is this the beginning of starwars? A few thousand years from now earth will be fighting mars for resources, just imagine how cool that would be! somebody might drop an asteroid.

RedBackDragon

Apr 22, 2013
ExtraDebit said:
Is this the beginning of starwars? A few thousand years from now earth will be fighting mars for resources, just imagine how cool that would be! somebody might drop an asteroid.
do you mean the red faction games ?

Ichigo

Nov 13, 2012
I'm pretty sure this mission will fail. Even if they get to mars what are they going to there for the rest of their lives except counting rocks. Someone will start a minecraft live action role playing group and will dig up the games to hell.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Ichigo said:
I'm pretty sure this mission will fail. Even if they get to mars what are they going to there for the rest of their lives except counting rocks. Someone will start a minecraft live action role playing group and will dig up the games to hell.
Somehow I agree, I mean it's not like we got terraforming technologies yet. They could lock themselves up in a tent in some desert and it would be pretty much the samething. I think this is just an excuse for husbands and wives to leave their spouse.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
I think one of the biggest barriers to visiting mars is the long exposure to deadly radiation on the trip. We don't have an answer for it yet, and it seems to pierce every kind of protective material we've made so far. Before we can pretend to set up a mars colony, we have to get there alive.

I fully expect the first few waves of colonists to die, either from technical accidents or injuries on the planet. In a new environment, it's possible to contract any kind of disease or malady, for which we'd have no cure. And that's not even mentioning the high cost of sending enough food, water and other supplies over... from now until forever. Unless they set up a farm or something (which also takes a lot of water...) they'd be completely reliant on shipments. Any delay in those could spell doom for anyone living on the planet.

It'd be "cool" to go to Mars, but only if I was old and had nothing to live for on earth. If someone else wants to be a lab rat to find what kind of shit can kill you on Mars, feel free to join the queue!

Goro

Oct 15, 2009
Country
Australia
It's nice to see Mars One has narrowed down its applicant field, but what are they doing about the monies?
It cost billions to get an unmanned buggy to land safe, and that's solar powered. To put 1 person, and his home and his food and his water and his oxygen (and the systems to make more) is going to cost.... well, a lot.
I can't wait till we colonise, and I really want Mars One to succeed. But I don't think they have the financial support....

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I don't think any of these people are ever going to Mars, which is why I wonder what this whole process is about. A PR gag? As I see it, first man on Mars is at least 30 years away, by that time most of these applicants are going to be too old or will have to be re-evaluated.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
There is no way in hell that this project will ever raise enough money to build a colony there. Space science is expensive, and this project relies on things that do not even exist yet.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't know if I should hope for prothean tech to be discovered or not. On one hand there are reapers, on the other hand I'd like me some asari.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
After reading the comments here I've come to realized that there really is no point in colonizing mars, I mean....seriously think about it, what is the point?

If for science and exploration, they don't need to colonize it, they just need to go live a few years and collect samples. If they want some inhospitable place to live they can go "colonize" some desert or under the ocean, it's cheaper and you can come back if you so choose.

There really is no point colonizing mars.

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
ExtraDebit said:
After reading the comments here I've come to realized that there really is no point in colonizing mars, I mean....seriously think about it, what is the point?

If for science and exploration, they don't need to colonize it, they just need to go live a few years and collect samples. If they want some inhospitable place to live they can go "colonize" some desert or under the ocean, it's cheaper and you can come back if you so choose.

There really is no point colonizing mars.
Colonization of the Oceans is actually rather brilliant, if done right. Hell, the ocean as a whole should be something we aim to explore more of in the coming years/decade or two rather than space travel. We've got issues here on earth that need fixing before we start looking at even LESS hospitable places to go live on. Our ocean hides many secrets that could enable us to have the mineral resources we need to actually DO some of these technologically advanced dreams we have thanks to Science Fiction (which is more and more dropping the "Fiction" in it's genre.)

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
RedBackDragon said:
ExtraDebit said:
do you mean the red faction games ?
Actually, I was going to say both Total Recall and Babylon 5...

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Humans can't even take care of earth. Let alone a dead planet. This is a wildly dangerous, crazy and bad idea. We don't have the technology, or even the know-how to pull this off safely yet. Those people are almost certainly going to die, wether from lack of oxygen, to lack of water, or lack of food. All it takes is one thing going wrong... and poof, over 700 people dead.

I highly doubt this will ever even happen. Someone will put a stop to it. We have a hard enough time sending a small group of people to the moon and back, as it is.

I realize a lot of people want 'progress' and that they think the future lies in space. Well, I don't agree. I think that until we fix our problems here, we can't just choose to jump ship and think they'll be fixed if we move from one giant rock to another.

In reality, things will never be fixed... we'll never go to the stars, and we'll kill ourselves off. This short period of relative peace and 'prosperity' has been short lived, in the grand scheme of history, and that's exactly how it will be. History repeats itself after all, humans never change and they never learn. Thanks to the power of technology, we have far too much power and far too little brains. It doesn't take much for all out war to break out. Only a handful of people can begin a chain reaction that kills millions.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
No thank you. Maybe when travel is much faster and all the bumps have been worked out and there's an actual, comfortable colony life available on Mars, then I'd consider it--so in other words, probably not while I'm alive. As it stands, I would be terrified to be one of the first people there. No help, no backup, no starting point except what you bring with you. No way.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
ExtraDebit said:
Learning to colonize other planets, particularly ones which may not be ideal for supporting human life, is the only way our species will ever be able to avoid total extinction for as long as possible.

Not only is that one hell of a point, it's literally the most important endeavor human beings might ever undertake.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
michael87cn said:
I highly doubt this will ever even happen. Someone will put a stop to it. We have a hard enough time sending a small group of people to the moon and back, as it is.
Who's going to stop it? And what right do they have to do so?

Moreover, what makes you think sending people to the moon and back is hard? If we're being totally honest here, going to the moon and back is stupidly easy compared to things like building a space station in orbit.

While we're on the subject, you overestimate just how easy it is for total war to break out, particularly in the modern day. Modern technology makes it dramatically less likely that we will ever see wars as large as either World War again, or that we'll completely annihilate ourselves through armed combat. Saying things like history repeats itself is oversimplifying pretty much every aspect of modern civilization, and a bit of a trite and half assed explanation for why we should expect total war someday.