Minecraft Coming to Xbox One, PS4 and Vita This August

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Minecraft Coming to Xbox One, PS4 and Vita This August

Players upgrading from the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Minecraft will receive a discount.

If there's one thing the world isn't lacking, it's different versions of Minecraft. Whether you game on a PC, a console or even just your phone, it's possible to find a competent version of the uber-popular game on all of them. That being the case, there are some corners of the gaming universe that it hasn't reached yet, namely the next generation consoles. It's an absence that the game's makers at Mojang intend to correct this summer.

More specifically, the studio has revealed that the Xbox One, PS4 and Vita versions of the game will be launching this August. In addition to this new launch window, the company has also announced that it will be offering affordable upgrade options for players who have already purchased the game for Xbox 360 and PS3. The Vita version will also be cross buy compatible with the PS3 game. This, of course, means that if you already own the latter you'll gain instant access to the former. Players buying any of the new versions for the first time meanwhile will need be charged $19.99.

While this is certainly good news there were also some negative confirmations. Namely, it would seem that cross-platform play will not be possible between the older iterations of the game and their PS4 and Xbox One counterparts. Likewise, while saves will be transferable from the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134005-Minecraft-Xbox-360-Edition-Will-Save-Transfer-to-Xbox-One>older consoles to their newer counterparts, it won't be possible to go in the other direction. Mojang has also said that licensing deals could make it hard to bring some of the existing DLC to the new versions of the game. Lastly, players who invested in a Blu-Ray copy of the PS3 game are currently not eligible for the same cross-buy deal as players who bought the digital edition. Recognizing that that kind of sucks, the company has affirmed that it looking "into ways to enable upgrade" using the Blu-Ray game.

Source: Mojang

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
Of course, Mojang only has one game, they can't resist porting it to every single console, platform, phone, and anything with a screen.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
fluxy100 said:
Of course, Mojang only has one game, they can't resist porting it to every single console, platform, phone, and anything with a screen.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Look, it's not the be-all and end all of games, but let's be honest. If I'd made Minecraft I would be doing my damnedest to install it on anything that couldn't outrun me. Minecraft on the family cat! On the curtains! That puddle has plenty of space, let's see if we can get it running!

*shrug* I can't hate on 'em for doing this.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I like how everybody's just resigned to calling it the xbone now.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
weirdee said:
I like how everybody's just resigned to calling it the xbone now.
I didn't, but some sites (Gamespot) banned the word.

It's funny though because Tom McShea calls it Xbone in their podcast. ^^

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
fluxy100 said:
No, not everything with a screen.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
the company has also announced that it will be offering affordable upgrade options for players who have already purchased the game for Xbox 360 and PS3.
Translation: We know you bought the game already for your console, and that, with some minor tweaks, it still is essentially the same game on the new system, but we're still gonna charge you money for it. Just not as much as you would if you were just buying it for the first time.

I know it's a business model that's been in place for quite some time (Black/White 2, the Madden series, the CoD series, etc.) but it still does seem like a bit of a dick move. Regardless, Mojang should at least get some applause for at least pricing the normal version at $19.99 and offering upgrades for, what I'm assuming, is lower than that. Add in the ability to transfer saves and, quite honestly, this doesn't seem like too bad a deal.

I'm still probably gonna convert to Minecraft on PC, though, if only because I find myself more of a PC gamer as of late.