Dota 2: Now With Real Sporting Controversy!

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Dota 2: Now With Real Sporting Controversy!

Everyone knows a game isn't a sport until it has at least a 25% criminal to decent human being ratio.

Read Full Article

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Does that mean Grey is not a legitimate internet "comedian"? We fans have never stabbed each other.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Under_your_bed said:
Anyone got any links to those stories? 'cause I couldn't find them with a quick google search.
I'm guessing the Arteezy bear-baiting is based off that American Football player who was charged with attending dog-fighting and the rapist is along the lines of the small town defending those college players who allegedly gang-raped a girl.

So if legitimacy equals players doing terrible things then cultural phenomenon would equal riots and fans doing terrible things to opposing fans?

eBusiness

Sep 19, 2012
I'm pretty sure "fuck-ton" is not a metric unit. Maybe you are thinking of the imperial fuck-ton which by the last official count were at least 17 different units of force, volume, speed, currency and shoe-sizes, and thus serves its intended purpose of fucking up measurements quite well.

As for sport legitimacy I think some of the fighting games are ahead of the curve thanks to sexual harassment, though if they work hard enough the MOBAs might be able to catch up through noob bashing.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Evil Smurf said:
Does that mean Grey is not a legitimate internet "comedian"? We fans have never stabbed each other.
Speak for yourself. I've been responsible for the 'mysterious disappearance' of like twelve Penny Arcade fans in the last week alone.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Falterfire said:
Evil Smurf said:
Speak for yourself. I've been responsible for the 'mysterious disappearance' of like twelve Penny Arcade fans in the last week alone.
I don't stab forum goers, I behead and stick on castle walls, just like a mod.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Under_your_bed said:
Anyone got any links to those stories? 'cause I couldn't find them with a quick google search.
I'm guessing the Arteezy bear-baiting is based off that American Football player who was charged with attending dog-fighting and the rapist is along the lines of the small town defending those college players who allegedly gang-raped a girl.
If you mean Steubenville, nothing "allegedly" about it, they certainly did do it (the town still defended them). However, there's no particular reason to assume it'd have to be that rape, that is something we see in sports all the time.

Animal fights are rather unusual, though, if it had to be based directly off a real event (and not just general being evil), good chance of being that one, yeah.

yamy

Slayer of Hot Dogs
Aug 2, 2010
Clearly it's not a legitimate E-sport until HL:3 is out.

Have to say most of the stuff in the strip is way over my head. Including the internet magic computer books.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I don't follow many webcomics, but I've enjoyed many of the ones I've read here. The humor is concise and more often than not deftly observed. Nice job!

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
It's truly a sport when those guys get away with it because they're "athletes".

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Arteezy gets up to alot in the Jungle.

Plus that's some dangerous accusations about PieLieDie.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Under_your_bed said:
If you mean Steubenville, nothing "allegedly" about it, they certainly did do it (the town still defended them). However, there's no particular reason to assume it'd have to be that rape, that is something we see in sports all the time.

Animal fights are rather unusual, though, if it had to be based directly off a real event (and not just general being evil), good chance of being that one, yeah.
So they did get convicted? About bloody time.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
The Rogue Wolf said:
That'll get you somewhere here in America, but if you want international legitimacy you'd better have at least half a dozen people die in a stadium riot.
That, or throw bananas around. Or well, I suppose in case of eSports it would be rice or something. And then, once it's more established, the mandatory dickwaving between teams on which team can play a bazillion kazillion dollars for a guy to play for them, just because they felt like saying "LOOK AT HOW MUCH MONEY WE HAVE!"

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
I read a few posts, this is responding to those. This strip is likely just poking fun at the people who claim DotA isn't a real sport and less commenting on actual news from DotA.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Well my sports hockey, not basketball or football, not perfect itself but there is a world of difference, so the point doesn't really apply for me. Although I guess an NFL fan could say the NHL isn't a real sport anyways, haha. I won't take that from he NBA though!

Regarding DOTA or any of these 'MOBA's' I could never really buy into them. If you look at 'real sports', in the professional leagues much of the audience aren't active participants but rather are just pure spectators. DotA and LoL have the biggest viewing audience in e-sports, but they also have by far the biggest playing audience. How much of a viewership do they have that simply watch the games without actually playing? I tried watching a game before, even threw in search titles like 'best' into the youtube search bar, and honestly I'd rather watch an MLB game *ducks*.

But seriously though, if you don't have any interest in playing the game yourself, which would lead to an active interest in seeing how the best play so you can improve your own game, then the game is like watching paint dry. Like I can see the appeal to Starcraft, which I can enjoy purely as a spectator to some degree, but MOBA's by design are boring as hell to watch without a vested interest.

And coming from an NHL fan, why does it matter if e-Sports get considered a 'real' sport or not? Why can't they exist in a similar but different space? I said coming from an NHL fan because being the smallest of the 4 big North America pro sports leagues a lot of our fans take a great deal of concern at how we're perceived (or a complete lack of perception) in the US. It's strong in some areas, and overall the gate revenue I believe is higher than the NBA, but the national media coverage and TV ratings are horrible... that shouldn't really effect a fans enjoyment of it though.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I don't know who's in charge of such things, but can we please not have a description under the link to the comic that blatantly spoils the punchline? kthx.