Magic: The Gathering's Next Block is Khans of Tarkir

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Magic: The Gathering's Next Block is Khans of Tarkir

While details are still scarce, the set's lead designer promises the return of a "long absent" fan-favorite mechanic.

The next block of perennial CCG Magic: The Gathering kicks off in late September, with Khans of Tarkir. With an aesthetic that evokes the Mongol huns, Khans of Tarkir takes place on the war-torn homeworld of Sarkhan Vol, one of the numerous planeswalkers that are often at the center of the game's story.

Khans, the first of the three set block, will launch on on September 26, with prerelease events occurring on Sept. 20 and 21. There will be a total of 269 cards in the Khans set.

Developer Wizards of the Coast hasn't let a whole lot of other details slip at this point. On a <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpXwpmm8GXQ>YouTube video posted by Wizards of the Coast, Khans and Magic lead designer Mark Rosewater said players could expect a "large, small, large," pattern for the three sets in the block.

The only other detail Rosewater would share is that, after many fan requests, the team is "finally bringing something back after a long absence in Magic," as well as a new feature fans have requested that has never been seen in the game before.

Also on the team is lead developer Eric Lauer, who most recently worked on the 2011 Innistrad block and this past September's Theros block.

Source: <a href=http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1496>Wizards of the Coast

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Seems like I'll be sticking with Red for a whole another year! And I'm not going to miss Pack Rat.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Yay! Bushido is back! and possibly a Sarkhan that I can actually use, assuming he's no longer dead.

...oh crap, are we to get yet another R/G 'walker? What is that now, four?

if_then_else

Apr 28, 2005
There are speculations that it's going to be similar to the Alara block, with five 3-colored "clans", except they are going to be wedge colors now (a color and it's two enemies).

I'm hoping it's true, BUG will finaly have a true name now.

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
Horsemanship?

Better not be, because in some situations it seems rather silly. My [mtg_card=Supply-Line Cranes] or my [mtg_card=
Balefire Dragon] can't harass a horseman?

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Slycne said:
if_then_else said:
I'm hoping it's true, BUG will finaly have a true name now.
Except everyone will still call it BUG, because Magic.
This. I returned to this game after a decade out and everyone was calling everything the same stuff.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
There is a spoiler card with Convoke for M15 out there, so there is one down for speculation. Or not, because of being a Spoiler card. :)

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Have people been asking for Horsemanship? Because it would fit with the theme but I'm really hoping it's not horsemanship or banding...

Tsukuyomi

May 28, 2011
Looking at the idea of the block I'm thinking Banding, Horsemanship, Bushido...they might even take a second pass at Tribute from Theros Block since they kinda missed the ball on that, paying Tribute to certain Clan members might fit in. All in all I'm thinking some kind of Tribal thing going on.

Still....if this is even near as good as Conspiracy is looking, I'm sold.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Modular? Sunburst?
Probably not, but I can dream. Even if they were to bring those back, it would be in a Mirrodin/Phyrexia related set.
They could always make some effects that don't have keywords have keywords. Armed, (Bonuses when equipped) Frenzy. (Attacks each turn if able) I'm just spitballing here.
Oooh! Maybe they could bring back levelers, those were fun.

D3P1KT

May 18, 2011
Considering that it mentions bringing back an older mechanic, or old thing. and everyone seems keen on rules that can break hopes and dreams (Banding particularly), I feel it might be worth mentioning other elements.

The gating effect that isn't technically an ability listed name from Invasion block, eg. Fleetfoot Panther.
An actual ability, 'buyback' (To represent the strength / value of the khans groups)
Another likely choice for flavour would be 'clash', or alternatively 'entwine'

Less likely but will be hoping to see.
'Madness'
'Provoke' - most likely for combat tricks etc. (Flavour-esque works)
'Threshold'

D3P1KT

May 18, 2011
Souplex said:
Modular? Sunburst?
Probably not, but I can dream. Even if they were to bring those back, it would be in a Mirrodin/Phyrexia related set.
They could always make some effects that don't have keywords have keywords. Armed, (Bonuses when equipped) Frenzy. (Attacks each turn if able) I'm just spitballing here.
Oooh! Maybe they could bring back levelers, those were fun.
Although there isn't a keyword for equipped bonuses, many creatures from the original mirrodin and scars of mirrordin block get bonuses when equipped. Leading to such stupid combos as, Leonin Shikari + Lightning Greaves.

Frenzy is a mechanic from Time Spiral block, only ever printed on a black sliver called Frenzy Sliver.
Frenzy give the attacking creature +X / + 0 if its unblocked, where X is the Frenzy number. In the case of the frenzy sliver, it's 1. But the mechanic stacks apparently, although I've never seen it done.