Dark Dungeons Jack Chick Film Director: This Is Bigger Than I Dreamed

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Dark Dungeons Jack Chick Film Director: This Is Bigger Than I Dreamed

Marcie, whatever happened to your pal James?

Dark Dungeons, the Jack Chick flick put together by J.R. Ralls after a phenomenally successful Kickstarter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123478-Update-Chicks-Dark-Dungeons-Film-Seeks-Kickstarter-Cash], is almost upon us. Now Ralls has a chance to reflect on all that came before, he says he can't quite believe how large, how professional his pet project has become.

After all, his Kickstarter was only looking for $12,500, which doesn't exactly buy a lot of special effects, but when Zombie Orpheus came on board things changed. Orpheus' support allowed Ralls to make a movie that was at least four times bigger than he had planned. "Movie making is an exponentially complicated process," he admits. "Making a movie that is four times as big isn't four times as complex, it's more like 16 times as complex." But it's all worth it, he says, when fans tell him how excited they are about his project.

Dark Dungeons is about as faithful to Chick's original [http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.ASP] as Ralls could manage, but there have been some changes along the way. There was supposed to be a third character, James, who gets sucked into the sinister world of RPGs along with Debbie and Marcie. James was meant to be the one who falls big time, and gives up his soul to D&D demons, but his part had to be cut; the film was just too long with him in it. It's the one thing Ralls really wishes he didn't have to do, but there was no choice.

"In film you have to ruthlessly cut what needs to be cut," he sighs. "'Kill your darlings' is a common term for a reason."

As far as Ralls is concerned, this is his last Chick flick, but he's looking forward to seeing the end result up on the big screen. Dark Dungeons [http://darkdungeonsthemovie.com/] is due August 14th from Rallsfilm and Zombie Orpheus.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I want to make a "Chick flick" joke here. Buuuuut, one escapes me.

Is it weird I want to see this made? My friends and I used to poorly act out Chick Tracts when a guy would hand them out outside our school, so this should bring back some interesting memories.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Proud to have supported this Kickstarter, I can't wait to see how this all turns out. Consider that there are not an unsubstantial number of people out there who believe everything that happens in this film to be 100% possible, it's all based on a real man's theology and writings after-all... what a dark world it must be for him.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
I hope to see the death of Black Leaf in beautiful live action. That, and the epic fight against "The Zombie."

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
Oh god... I had forgotten how glorious that tract was.

"I think it's time that you learn how to really cast spells."

Next panel: Mystical robed cult with an altar and pentagram on the floor.

The very definition of "that escalated quickly".

And Debbie's face in that one panel... it looks like she ran into a wall! Priceless!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So whats the appeal of this? Wasn't it originally one of those things that just compared dnd to devil worship? It seems like ironic enjoyment shouldn't be enough to get movie funding for something.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Kalezian said:
Worgen said:
So whats the appeal of this? Wasn't it originally one of those things that just compared dnd to devil worship? It seems like ironic enjoyment shouldn't be enough to get movie funding for something.
Ironic Enjoyment is the entire reason for any entertainment kickstarter project.

games, movies, books, comics, a vast majority is based around people supporting it ironically.

Also, this particular Chick Tract is probably one of the more tamer ones. there are some where "good" Christians get sent to hell anyway because they didn't follow Old Chick's idea of worship.

Hell, there are some where good people regardless of religion get sent to hell for no other reason than "Because Jack Said So."
No, nostalgia is the reason for any entertainment kickstarter.

So are these made straight faced or what? It always sounded like they were made in earnest but I have to wonder.

Namewithheld

Apr 30, 2008
Wait, Black Leaf just dies? What, no saving throw?

What are they fucking playing, Tomb of Horrors!?

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Worgen said:

So are these made straight faced or what? It always sounded like they were made in earnest but I have to wonder.
The original Chick Tracts, as best anybody can tell, are indeed meant to be completely serious. It's possible they're just a marvelous invocation of Poe's Law [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law]. The people making the movie are doing it as satire though.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
Namewithheld said:
Wait, Black Leaf just dies? What, no saving throw?

What are they fucking playing, Tomb of Horrors!?
You've never read the original Chick Tract have you?
Basically a very uninformed Evangelical Christian Moral Guardian named Jack Chick made this stuff up back in 1984. Long story short, the comic (Dark Dungeons) made RPGs out to be a gateway drug for devil worship. I'm not sure how effective the guy's message was but the thing was a rather hilarious read. Hell, 4Chan's tg board made it into a meme of sorts.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Falterfire said:
Worgen said:

The original Chick Tracts, as best anybody can tell, are indeed meant to be completely serious. It's possible they're just a marvelous invocation of Poe's Law [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law]. The people making the movie are doing it as satire though.
So we are giving a bunch of money to a guy who at least at one point believed that dnd would destroy Americans youth, because we want to see how dumb it turns out... odd.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Worgen said:
So we are giving a bunch of money to a guy who at least at one point believed that dnd would destroy Americans youth, because we want to see how dumb it turns out... odd.
According to the movie's website, Jack Chick is not getting any money [http://darkdungeonsthemovie.com/#updates] because he granted the rights for free and did not request a percentage of the sales.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
I'm surprised at this point Steven Colbert didn't demand a cameo (he being the current internet god of Nerdly Satire and Passive-aggression)

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Falterfire said:
Worgen said:
According to the movie's website, Jack Chick is not getting any money [http://darkdungeonsthemovie.com/#updates] because he granted the rights for free and did not request a percentage of the sales.
My guess is that since they agreed to do it as close to the source material as possible (accounting for cuts for time), Jack Chick believes that people seeing his work in its entirety on the big screen will perhaps vindicate him, although that doesn't really seem like it's going to happen.

w23eer

Mar 13, 2014
I remember this Kickstarter pretty well from when it happened, but haven't been keeping up with it. It's cool to see that it's doing well. I seem to recall that Spoony was supposed to be involved somehow, is that still a thing?
weirdee said:
My guess is that since they agreed to do it as close to the source material as possible (accounting for cuts for time), Jack Chick believes that people seeing his work in its entirety on the big screen will perhaps vindicate him, although that doesn't really seem like it's going to happen.
Or maybe he changed his beliefs? It's been a few decades after all.

EDIT: Quoting fail.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
w23eer said:
I remember this Kickstarter pretty well from when it happened, but haven't been keeping up with it. It's cool to see that it's doing well. I seem to recall that Spoony was supposed to be involved somehow, is that still a thing?
weirdee said:
Or maybe he changed his beliefs? It's been a few decades after all.

EDIT: Quoting fail.
if anything's changed, his publishing company has not actually stopped printing or altered any of the chick tracts beyond a few minor edits.