Warcraft Movie "Officially" Finished Filming

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Warcraft Movie "Officially" Finished Filming

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon/status/469811946531721217]

Warcraft director Duncan Jones has confirmed that the movie has "officially" finished shooting.

If a movie's based on a video game, it's going to suck. If there's a universally accepted rule among gamers, that's pretty much it right there. Granted, there are some <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/movie-defense-force/7930-Silent-Hill>arguable exceptions, but they are vastly outnumbered by the Super Mario Brothers, Wing Commanders and Street Fighters of the world. That being the case, there are still some eager to take a swing at the adaptation game and it's recently been revealed that one high profile project has recently taken an enormous step toward completion.

We're talking, of course, about Legendary Picture's Warcraft film which, according to director Duncan Jones, has ended its last day of shooting. "Final day on Warcraft now officially...wrapped," said Jones in a Tweet.

Shooting for the film began back <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127312-Warcraft-Film-Begins-Shooting-Next-Year>in January at the Canadian Motion Picture Park in Victoria, British Columbia. The movie is currently set to hit theaters <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128360-World-of-Warcraft-Movie-Gets-Release-Date>on March 11th, 2016. Its distributors at Universal Pictures had originally intended for it be released in December 18th, 2015 but <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130062-Warcraft-Film-Pushed-Into-2016>pushed it back to avoid competition with Star Wars: Episode VII which is scheduled to release that same day. An end to shooting, of course, doesn't mean that work on the movie is completely finished. That said, it's nonetheless an important milestone for what could be the best chance we've had in a long time to see a video game movie that doesn't make audiences wish they were pedestrians in a Grand Theft Auto game.

Source: <a href=https://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon/status/469811946531721217>Twitter

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Im an apologist for mario bros. I saw that in the theaters and loved it when I was a kid.
Theres some stuff in the early warcraft that might translate to a movie well. I tend to favor the earlier stuff, up through three, but maybe not for WoW so much.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Wow that was...fast.
Are films like this usually shot this fast?

Anyway, I can't imagine how good a WoW movie can be, but, hell, I'd like to be proven wrong.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Story said:
Wow that was...fast.
Are films like this usually shot this fast?

Anyway, I can't imagine how good a WoW movie can be, but, hell, I'd like to be proven wrong.
most movies finish the actual filming in about 3-4 months what takes so long to make them is the more then a year or so after that is required to edit all that footage, add CGI, and add music. so 76 months is actually a bit longer then most.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Nah. They should have just had Blizzard's cinematic department CG the entire movie. I don't care if the movie itself were utter tripe, the sequences for Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft are the best quality you will ever see in a video game. Imagine a 2 hour movie of nothing but that.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
008Zulu said:
Nah. They should have just had Blizzard's cinematic department CG the entire movie. I don't care if the movie itself were utter tripe, the sequences for Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft are the best quality you will ever see in a video game. Imagine a 2 hour movie of nothing but that.
Bioware would like a word with you

But in general, I agree with you. The cinematics and proper cutscenes from Warcraft and WoW are amazing; I do think, however, that movie I linked is the greatest video game cinematic I have ever seen.

No idea why Disney is making new Star Wars movies when they just could have commissioned whoever did the swtor trailers to make full length features from the Old Republic era; I mean look at that 4 way lightsaber duel... it's 20 times better than any duel they had in the movies.

Aussie502

Apr 19, 2011
thiosk said:
Theres some stuff in the early warcraft that might translate to a movie well. I tend to favor the earlier stuff, up through three, but maybe not for WoW so much.
The film is based on the events of the First War which was in Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, released in 1994. So you don't have to worry.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Halyah said:
Aussie502 said:
thiosk said:
The film is based on the events of the First War which was in Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, released in 1994. So you don't have to worry.
Doesn't matter when its set as long as the current writing department at Blizzard or any of the current head honcho's is calling the shots. If this movie turns out well it'll be in spite of them, not thanks to them.

Entertaining games, but godawful writers.
They've had the same lead story writers since WC2 :p (Chris Metzen hype)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Aussie502 said:
Huh...odd to pick the really old stuff as the source material...no elves, undead (to speak of), trolls, dwarves etc.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Aussie502 said:
Huh...odd to pick the really old stuff as the source material...no elves, undead (to speak of), trolls, dwarves etc.
You have to keep in mind the very likely possibility of adding story where there was none prior due to, well, it being WC1/2. Elves and Dwarves very much existed during the events of the First War, and we might see them as joining the Alliance at some point in the film assuming the timeline is going to be the same. Same goes for the Trolls joining the Horde temporarily.

EDIT: Also there's a question of Medivh, Khadgar, yada yada Dark Portal bananas.

Halyah said:
Chris Metzen is Blizzards answer to George Lucas. That's all I'll say about that.
If George Lucas had a voice like that I'd forgive him a lot more. :3

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
You can make a great movie based on a computer game, just need a good script and dont go over the top with the fan service. With WOW, it can be akin to Lord of the Rings movies. With the WOW movie im surprised there hasnt been any leaks of set photos and character designs. I knew they were going to make one when Raimi was involved but didnt even know they were already filming.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Halyah said:
Doesn't matter what voice he has. His writing is on par with Lucas and I'll still knee the guy in the groin if I ever have the misfortune of running into him for being so atrocious.

Yes I don't like the guy at all.
Ah yes, because George Lucas is the epitome of poor writing across all medium. Hahahaha

Please tell me more! xP

SonOfVoorhees said:
You can make a great movie based on a computer game, just need a good script and dont go over the top with the fan service. With WOW, it can be akin to Lord of the Rings movies. With the WOW movie im surprised there hasnt been any leaks of set photos and character designs. I knew they were going to make one when Raimi was involved but didnt even know they were already filming.
Raimi got pushed off production a while ago if I remember correctly. He didn't fit the director role (be it from his own disagreements or Blizzard's, I've no idea).

Unless you mean to say that since he was involved it was a clear sign that something was going to be made, in which case disregard my comment :3

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Well fuck me sideways. I never thought I'd live to see the day. This is the video game movie equivalent of Half-Life 3. I look forward to seeing it. Hopefully it's not absolute shite. I've always loved the lore behind the Warcraft world.