The Order: 1886 Hands-On - Worth the Delay? - Update

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
deserteagleeye said:
Still isn't looking like anything remarkable.
Same here, especially when they revealed they were going the third-person cover based shooter route. I predict this game is going to be thoroughly average when it does finally release.

NOTE: Escapist, it's SPOT CHECKING when it comes up once in a while. NOT WHEN THE LAST FOUR POSTS I'VE MADE HAVE HAD CAPTCHAS ON THEM DAMMIT! I wonder if Premium members have to put up with this bull?

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
The more I read about this game, the more it seems like it's going to be the pinnacle of "cinematic experience", and not in a good way.

I get the feeling that the game will just be spoonfeeding you these "moment to moment" gameplay, which is just bullshit talk for "limited corridor-like scripted event". Why do I get this nagging impression that the game will just be forcing me choices like what guns to use, what cover to go under, what targets I can have without even giving me the options to diverge from that set path ?

It's like we come to an age now where game devs don't even trust players anymore to "play their game correctly". They do games more for themselves than for the enjoyment of players.

Not only don't they trust them but they really do think of us more and more like idiots. Look at that short gameplay scene they've recently released. The objective reads "use thermite gun to ignite whatever's in that building I forgot". So, objectives usually are ways to remind you to do something when you get side-tracked or have too many things to do at once. I can understand that.

But here, you only have ONE cover option, ONE gun option and only ONE target in your line of sight. You're BOUND to ignite the building with the thermite gun at some point, even by accident, becuse that's the only freaking thing you can do. The objective marker just feels plain insulting at that point.

I'm really hoping they're gonna bring out a better show at E3 because so far, they're completely talking out of their ass, it's so blatant it's not even funny

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
I really hate it when everyone in a thread has said pretty much everything I wanted to say already. And it's barely had any comments on top of that.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Thanks Greg as previews go it was remarkably honest.

I think the game looks lovely enough but sure what good is that?

More info needed indeed methinks.

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
"We used to have these jam sessions where we would sit down and try to come up with the weaponry and we'd throw ideas on a wall and say, like, 'What if you combined electricity with magnetism?'"

AAAAAAHHH. My brain is dribbling out of my ears. Seriously? I know not everyone remembers much in the way of high school physics (though tbh I'd probably still consider anyone unaware of the intrinsic relationship between electricity and magnetism an idiot), but you've never heard the term 'electromagnet' before?

Between that, the pressure they're apparently putting the dev team under and the comments about how a steampunk setting with werewolves is trying to avoid 'magic', I kind of feel like the guys putting on this preview are total assholes.

Thanks for the honest preview Greg. It's a shame, I'm genuinely interested in this game - for the setting, the potential story and the fact that this is one of the few games I've seen really trying to push for next gen graphics. But if the gameplay can't match that level, if it is just another semi-interactive cutscene fest, all that interest will just go to waste.

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
Ohey, and RIGHT ON to confirm my niggling doubts, this hammers the nail ever so slightly in, coming straight from the interview here: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/464912/previews/hands-on-and-interview-the-order-1886s-e3-demo-showcases-style-over-substance/

CVG said:
CVG: So of the three key aspects of a game - visuals, gameplay and story - which would you say was your priority with The Order 1886?

Game director (Dana Jan): I think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it. We love games, but we also love telling stories, so I think story is always going to be at the top because it's what we start with. It's at the top of the pyramid and everything else supports that. I think it'd be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay's sake, then try to make a story that fits in there.
Aren't we lucky to have such people at the top of triple A development studios who think more about their credibility and ego than the people for whom they are making their product

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
They're giving you a tiny, scripted segment because either the rest of the game isn't very good or they don't actually have anything else done and this is something they scraped together desperately to have something to show the press.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
I am not a fan of linear games. And this looks like the linear-est of the linear. Although I do have a guilty pleasure of good cover systems (note: good). It just makes the experience (when it comes to shooters) that bit more... I'm not sure how to put this, but cover makes sense in a shooter. Why everyone on this site expects a shootout to occur with everyone stood in the middle of the street blasting at each other with no thought for self-preservation is beyond me, but I digress. I do think though, even having said what I said about linear games, that cinematic games could have their place. Something like a film, but one that is wildly more interesting because it is also a game. I like that idea, and I think that the best way to do that is (in theory) by seamless switches between gameplay and cutscenes, with focus on story and super-duper visuals and graphics.

HOWEVER. Having played Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, I can see that you can have a good cinematic game without all that. in GRFS one really only has to encounter cutscenes at the beginning of missions, but they managed (somehow) to have it gameplay based yet I found the experience to be at the same time cinematic, and I really enjoyed it, despite it being linear (actually I enjoyed everything about that game).

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
otakon17 said:
deserteagleeye said:
Still isn't looking like anything remarkable.
Same here, especially when they revealed they were going the third-person cover based shooter route. I predict this game is going to be thoroughly average when it does finally release.

NOTE: Escapist, it's SPOT CHECKING when it comes up once in a while. NOT WHEN THE LAST FOUR POSTS I'VE MADE HAVE HAD CAPTCHAS ON THEM DAMMIT! I wonder if Premium members have to put up with this bull?
We do not have to put up with captchas, though you still gets ads in the form of news posts. Which irritates me.

OT: Still just eh. Not buying a PS4 for it.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Zombie Badger said:
They're giving you a tiny, scripted segment because either the rest of the game isn't very good or they don't actually have anything else done and this is something they scraped together desperately to have something to show the press.
Don't forget the very likely probability that this is a "bull shot." Seriously, I will be surprised if the game actually boasts visuals (resolution, textures, and fps) 70% as good as this...and it's sad that this has become so commonplace a gripe.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
It's almost a shame to see a game like this limited to the Playstation 4.

Aesthetically, it's quite interesting, and clearly they're clearly going for quite a strong graphical element to the game.

So, as to why you'd release exclusively on the PS4 when they'd have more freedom with the PC is a bit beyond me.

A nice looking game, perhaps, but, unfortunately running at a mere 30 FPS and a meagre 1280x720.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Greg, this was a remarkably frank hands-on and I really admire not beating around the bush when pointing out your true feelings (both positive and negative) on the game.

Thanks for that!

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Wild prediction: Blackwater turns the very people who use it to fight the half-breeds into half-breeds themselves *OMGWTFPLOTTWIST*.

Could be wrong, but I reckon it'll be something like that.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
So... what exactly is wrong with magic? You already have werewolves and I'm pretty sure they've got other supernatural-themed monsters in the works. You have a mystic substance that heals people and extends their lifespans. At this point, you'd have to bend over backwards not to put magic in your story. Explaining something away by vaguely saying 'it's science' without actually explaining anything isn't any better than saying 'it's magic.' If anything, it's more irritating. What, is 'magic' a dirty word for these guys?

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The Order: 1886 Hands-On - Worth the Delay? - Update

The weird Victorian shooter looks pretty on new hardware, but the team isn?t showing much.

Read Full Article

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Sadly, the more I see of The Order, the less interested I am. The initial teaser was very cool. Then the initial gameplay videos were okay if not exactly inspiring. And then we had the E3 gameplay and I basically don't care anymore.

I have no issues at all with solid 3rd person shooting. I've liked it in the past and I'm sure I would have liked it here. What I didn't like was the fact that it was shown to be a barely playable movie including quite possibly the absolute most pointless QTE I've ever seen. And the gameplay video started pretty well too with the little bit of 3rd person exploration in the lab/hospital/asylum/whatever.

*sigh* Oh well.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
It's a pitty that they're wasting such a good premise and setting on a such an awful video games. This is a clear cut example of people who would much rather be making movies but got stuck with games instead. "We can get around that". What a bunch of hacks.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
"The Order 1886....sounds interesting...now let's see, set in....London.....of fucking course it is."

Stopped having interest as soon as I read London. It sounds neat but It looks meh and is in London....there is so much more that happens in the world from the years 1860-1920s....I'm sick of it taking place in fucking Britain.