Artist Creates Horror Books for Children in Dr. Seuss Style

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Artist Creates Horror Books for Children in Dr. Seuss Style

A series of Dr. Seuss styled children's books have transformed famous horror games, films and literature into colorful children's stories.

I've never been the biggest fan of Dr. Seuss. My first inclination is to blame my parents for this. After all, they were the ones who spent my formative years reading me the Berenstein Bears. By the time I encountered One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, the only response I could muster was something along the lines of "What the hell is this weird stuff?"

Even if I've never learned to the love the oddness and whimsy of Seuss's various works however, I can appreciate just how influential his books have been for countless people. I can especially appreciate it when people take their love of Seuss and use it to create something as awesome as Australian artist DrFaustusAu's horror-themed Seuss books.

Drawing on a variety of famous film and game franchises as the literary works of H.P. Lovecraft and others, Faustus wonderfully and accurately co-opts Seuss's trademark style to create stories and images that should bring a smile to the fans of horror and children's literature alike. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and say that if you can look at these and not smile that it may be possible that you don't have a soul. That may sound a bit harsh but seriously, how can you read a Dr. Seuss Faustus's work and let us know what you think.

[gallery=2563]

Source: DeviantArt

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Ok il admit after looking at them all I couldnt think anything but them being cute and they need made id so read these books.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Some are good, others are ....bleh. I only really like the Cthulhu one because imagining Cthulhu as done by Dr.Seuss would be awesome.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
What's number 6? First I thought the Joker, then Clockwork Orange, but neither fit, actually! He's wearing a face that's stapled on. Is it that one guy from Repo?

I also didn't recognize number 13.

Lastly, I wasn't aware Slender Man had a bunch of tentacles for arms. Whenever I saw him (in games, in games) he had two elongated arms.

I like how Pyramid Head and Ash have their little fingers sticking off. Always classy!

Envy Omicron

Apr 27, 2013
Skeleon said:
What's number 6? First I thought the Joker, then Clockwork Orange, but neither fit, actually! He's wearing a face that's stapled on. Is it that one guy from Repo?

Lastly, I wasn't aware Slender Man had a bunch of tentacles for arms. Whenever I saw him (in games, in games) he had two elongated arms.

I like how Pyramid Head and Ash have their little fingers sticking off. Always classy!
Number 6 is the Joker, look up "Death of the Family".

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
This is kinda cool.

Granted, I found Seus in my late teenaged years, so I guess you could say the child in me isn't completely dead. So I suppose these are... slightly interesting. Some are kind of boring, though.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
This is simply splendid. Exactly the kind of thing I would have gone nuts over as a child. My parents had the great wisdom to raise me on a strict diet of Pogo Possum, Dr. Seuss, Maurice Sendak, and MAD Magazine. Jonny Quest and Captain Scarlet were my childhood heroes and I loved the Daleks from day one of TV Century 21 Magazine. Anything that urges you to grow up strong and twisted and become a burr under the saddle of authority is a good thing.

Pyrignis

May 31, 2010
I didn't want to, but I laughed at the arrow in Dovakhiins knee.
I really like the Cthulhu one. He looks like he just called and is now patiently waiting for an answer.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
I know the Escapist has a bad habit of reporting on old news, but this is REALLY old news, I recall seeing these guys on Tumblr over a year ago. I'm glad the artist is getting more visibility because I really like their work, but I still question the point of reporting on such old artwork, atleast in this manner.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
The Slender and the Bioshock one were absolutely brilliant. It kind of put a smile on my face to see something so ridiculously brilliant.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Skeleon said:
It's Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_(series)] series. As for the specific reference, I believe it's Book 1: The Gunslinger, when Roland and Jake are facing the slow mutants while following the man in black.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
I think my favorite of these was the Resident Evil one, the little touches such as the red, blue and green herbs, the tiny umbrella with said company's colors on it and just the overall look of it. :D

Interesting set of pictures here but that one was my favorite.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Madame_le_Flour said:
I know the Escapist has a bad habit of reporting on old news, but this is REALLY old news, I recall seeing these guys on Tumblr over a year ago. I'm glad the artist is getting more visibility because I really like their work, but I still question the point of reporting on such old artwork, atleast in this manner.
I do remember seeing that Bioshock one quite a while ago...

*shrugs*

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Odd. I always found the works of Dr. Suess to already [http://www.tofugu.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/japanese-proverb.jpg] have [http://www.tofugu.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/righteous-protest.jpeg] plenty [http://www.dartmouth.edu/~hist32/History/Seuss01.jpg] of horrific [https://dimpost.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/11020cs1.jpg] elements [http://files.whereiscat.com/uploaded_images/DrSeuss1-706015.jpg].