MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
ABC's Black Box Doesn't Live Up to Its House Pedigree

Black Box is more like Blecch Box.

Read Full Article

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Never even heard of this till now but even reading the title made me think "well, obviously!". Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, unless you imitate it badly.

House (to me at least) was an amazing series, my favorite. Had everything from dark humor to philosophical debates. Trying to make another home run like that was bound to fail.

Then I read the article and don't even finish the first page without thinking, what the fuck is going on?!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Yo, MovieBob, have you seen Penny Dreadful?

Maybe that will help tide you over during the summer slums.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Blecch Box? Have you stooped to emulating MAD Magazine from 1961? If nothing else, the show sounds like good drinking game material. Also, was it you or the show that appeared to be talking about bipolar disorder and psychosis in one breath? You acknowledge that bipolar is not MPD, rightly so, but you also say "her psychosis." So, is she bipolar, or psychotic, or merely schizophrenic? Oh, and having been there and done that, I am qualified to talk about it.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Man, hasn't the whole "eccentric and socially maladjusted hero" thing been done to death already?
If you get Sherlock cancelled, the fans will hunt you down and do things to you that even Sherlock would find gruesome.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Applepie Amerimom"... that made me LOL :D

Sounds like a godawful series, that makes an actual ilness it's base and then shows loads of people who know nothing about it massively wrong things about that ilness. I hope those responsible don't get any more work, ever!

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
gridsleep said:
So, is she bipolar, or psychotic, or merely schizophrenic?
It's a poorly written TV Show. The answer is "I don't know. Which one makes the plot work for this week's episode?"

vid87

May 17, 2010
I didn't really think much of it when it was first announced since they kept throwing around the "groundbreaking" superlative, but I'm actually kind've amazed it's that bad.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Looking at the promotional banner on the first page I HAVE to ask, what the actual **** is she supposed to be doing in that photo?

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
TKretts3 said:
Looking at the promotional banner on the first page I HAVE to ask, what the actual **** is she supposed to be doing in that photo?
She appears to be partaking in a shampoo commercials, most doctors do, as I understand it.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I'm really curious to see your take on Hannibal, Bob, especially with the season finale being aired.

And if you're running out of things to review - maybe do retro-reviews? Terrible shit from the '90s? Your favorite X-Files episodes?

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Wait, wait, wait. The guys behind HOUSE did this?

... What happened? This sounds like an absolute train wreck of a series, and the guys behind one of my favorite TV shows of all time spearheaded this?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
ThunderCavalier said:

... What happened? This sounds like an absolute train wreck of a series, and the guys behind one of my favorite TV shows of all time spearheaded this?
I don't think even House could diagnose what happened to the creator of this schmaltzy pile of retch. Something beyond the garden variety head injury.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
I personally am not bi-polar but I've met a small handful of them in my life. I never bothered to ask too many questions about their condition because it's none of my business. but I distinctly got the impression they would be MUCH MUCH happier without the disease. none of them got these superhuman like "manic" sides to it depicted so often on tv. they tended to lean towards the creative absolutely but one was a borderline alcoholic and another was just a really troubled girl who destroyed all her relationships either by being crazy jealous or just giving up completely and spending 3 or 4 days in bed not speaking.

I gotta say for all the love house gets I personally hated it as a show, they kept trying to depict him as "good at his core" and all that but to me he just seemed like an asshole. and I don't think I ever saw an episode where his treatment didn't destroy some organ or another and he had to immorally find a way to bump them to the top of the transplant list. imagine you're a guy next in line for an organ and someone leap frogs you because their doctor demolished their kidney's on a hunch. nah, never liked house.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
ThunderCavalier said:

Well Bob says that it was from the producers of House, which wouldn't necessarily mean the same writers or directors. However, even that seems a bit misleading, since according to Wiki the only producer they have in common is Bryan Singer. Given that Black Box has 5 producers, House had 9, and Bryan Singer has been heavily involved in an awful lot of other stuff recently, including producing and directing the very large and successful X-Men film, it doesn't seem likely he had much direct involvement with this at all. So it's not so much that the guys behind House doing this, it's rather that one person who gave some money to House also gave some money to this. Probably not the best investment he's ever made, but not really much of a connection to House.

The person actually to blame for this appears to be Amy Holden Jones [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0427468/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1]. Who has a single TV movie and a 3 minute short to her name in the last decade, and nothing meaningful at all since the mid '90s. The guys behind House coming up with this dud might have been surprising, but it's perhaps less surprising coming from a person whose only work in 20 years has been a straight to TV film that is so obscure it has no Wiki page and no reviews on IMDb.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
nightmare_gorilla said:
I personally am not bi-polar but I've met a small handful of them in my life. I never bothered to ask too many questions about their condition because it's none of my business. but I distinctly got the impression they would be MUCH MUCH happier without the disease. none of them got these superhuman like "manic" sides to it depicted so often on tv. they tended to lean towards the creative absolutely but one was a borderline alcoholic and another was just a really troubled girl who destroyed all her relationships either by being crazy jealous or just giving up completely and spending 3 or 4 days in bed not speaking.
That is because the writers of the show doesn't even know what bi-polar means. They probably looked up on wikipedia and thought it was too boring or just decided to use it as a shortcut for "she does generic crazy things from better shows. This week is the turn of United States of Tara..."

MovieBob, for your depiction of bipolar on the series, I was half expecting her character to start golluming with her "other self" in front of a mirror.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Kenjitsuka said:
"Applepie Amerimom"... that made me LOL :D

Sounds like a godawful series, that makes an actual ilness it's base and then shows loads of people who know nothing about it massively wrong things about that ilness. I hope those responsible don't get any more work, ever!
This was my big problem with Con Air, where the diabetic black best friend of Nic Cage is going into a crash because of low bloodsugar... and demands that someone dope him up on insulin.

THAT'S THE DIRECT OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU SHOULD DO IN THAT SITUATION, YOU SUICIDAL MORON! YOU NEED TO EAT SOMETHING SWEET, NOT SHOOT UP MORE OF THE MEDICIN THAT IS MEANT TO TAKE YOUR BLOODSUGAR DOWN!

But yeah, this series sounds like it's written by someone who doesn't have any idea what the medical condition his main character has actually is. The "of two minds" part from the article makes me wonder if they've confused being bipolar with suffering from Dissociative identity disorder, or multiple personality disorder?

Wouldn't surprise me, though. Hollywood has never let science get in the way of a good (or bad) story.

Captcha: school is cool. I get the feeling the people who made this series disagreed.

hpounds4

Jul 16, 2012
Disclaimer: I have not watched this show. I am basing my opinion on what I have read and the trailers I watched. I realize my opinion COULD be different after watching it, I doubt it, but it could.

My brother is bipolar, not as serious a case as some I've heard of or seen before, but he is.
The only thing I can think of after reading about this show and seeing the trailers is that my brother would just think it was dumb and leave it at that BUT there could be some people out there that see it and think that the main characters experiences once off her meds look like fun. That is a very dangerous thought to someone who really needs those medications and has been okay with, if not happy to take them in the past.

I hope it continues to get bad reviews and eventually gets canceled.