African Crocodile Found Feeding In Florida Everglades

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
African Crocodile Found Feeding In Florida Everglades

Wildlife experts are stumped by the appearance of a West African crocodile in Flordia, because apparently they never watched Lake Placid.

In 1999, Bill Pullman and Bridget Fonda starred in Lake Placid, a movie about a giant crocodile eating humans and wreaking havoc in Maine. It wasn't an especially great movie, but as a goofy monster flick it's an absolute blast, worth watching for <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV-fZGxKZak>Betty White's croc-feeding performance alone.

Another reason to give it a look is that Lake Placid is now somewhat prophetic. Viewers eventually learn that the creature wasn't an American crocodile, but an Asian species that mysteriously appeared in Maine. 15 years later, real-world wildlife officials are scratching their heads after discovering an African crocodile making itself at home in the Florida Everglades. While this crocodile isn't nearly as large as its Lake Placid or Asian counterparts, the appearance is just as mysterious. DNA testing proves it didn't escape from a breeder, and experts even suspect that another is lurking in the area... and Bill Pullman might not have his grenade launcher this time.

"In a criminal investigation launched after its capture, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission took samples from 10 Nile crocodiles at a nearby breeder," an Orlando Sentinel report read. "The analysis 'does not strongly support' the conclusion they are related to the one captured in the Everglades, according to results from Hector Cruz-Lopez, an agency forensic scientist."

While the five-foot long crocodile doesn't look like a B-movie monster threat, that may only have been a matter of time. While fears that the animal was a deadly Nile crocodile proved unfounded, its growth rate was a very real concern. "The one we pulled out was chowing down on fish and had a growth rate we calculated was the fastest we ever calculated for a Nile croc," said University of Florida professor Frank Mazzotti. "Its stomach was loaded with fish. It found a place where it could be fat and happy, and that's not a good sign.

"I'd say probably there's at least one more," Mazzotti continued. "Looking into the future, whether it's a Nile croc or another species, based on our climate and the number of crocs out there, this is not going to be the last strange croc we see."

Experts are considering possibilities as to how the crocodile got there, but so far Lake Placid's "it just swam across an ocean" theory remains the most hilarious. Please feel free to offer your own suggestions in the comments!

Source: The Weather Network

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Whats so weird about that? They do swim, and swimming across the ocean isn't that far-fetched. There's plenty of food, they can survive underwater fairly well so sea swells won't affect them much other than maybe disorienting them which can in theory account for a crocodile swimming out to the ocean, getting trapped in a storm and lost at sea, having no idea where the hell it is, starts swimming in a direction and ends up crossing the Atlantic. Its not impossible, nor laughable if you stop thinking in movie plot tropes.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Just be glad it's not a full grown saltwater crocodile like we have down here.

Now THEY can fill in for Lake Placid just fine.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Most likely this was an animal that someone tried to smuggle into the country. Those who were transporting it may have released it when they feared they may be caught by police. There have been reports of such things in the South East US, among other places. And Florida likely has plenty of easy ways to smuggle the animal in.

It's also possible that it was someone's illegal pet that they got rid of when it stopped being small and cute.

Exotic animals can go for tens of thousands of dollars. There is even a nonprofit animal sanctuary in Georgia known as Noah's Ark that takes in animals and cares for them. Some of the animals were from testing, zoos, breeders, and even illegal smuggling. And it's been suggested that some recent outbreaks, such a Bird Flu, and SARS, are the result of illegal smuggling.

I bring this up as it is a serious issue.

Nov 18, 2009
Well, if watching Feed Dump has taught me anything it is that strange reptiles often find homes in people's pants. This one just looks like it was starting to get too big for its breeches. Feed Dump findings would also suggest that the theory concerning there being more than one crocodile swimming around those parts is also based pretty well, given how many reptiles have been found in a single pair of pants.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Oh great, are jackasses treating the everglades like their pet dumping ground again? There goes the ecosystem :I

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
ron1n said:

You mean one of these:

Sleep well....

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
Great. Foreign crocodiles, coming to our country and eating our citizens fish and taking the jobs that our God-fearing native crocodiles need!
i'm gonna call the thread here, you win.

everyone, stop posting. thread over.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
schrodinger said:
Oh great, are jackasses treating the everglades like their pet dumping ground again? There goes the ecosystem :I
Yup, first giant snakes, now giant crocs. But hey, if they eat all our cows, we'll have some cooler-looking skins to have our shoes made out of. Imagine, crocs made out of actual croc!

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
RicoADF said:
ron1n said:

You mean one of these:

Sleep well....
I have a hard time not thinking of the one in the second photo as "bubba."

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Whats so weird about that? They do swim, and swimming across the ocean isn't that far-fetched. There's plenty of food, they can survive underwater fairly well so sea swells won't affect them much other than maybe disorienting them which can in theory account for a crocodile swimming out to the ocean, getting trapped in a storm and lost at sea, having no idea where the hell it is, starts swimming in a direction and ends up crossing the Atlantic. Its not impossible, nor laughable if you stop thinking in movie plot tropes.
That sounds like the plot for Life of Pi 2.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I know nothing about the place, but this has got to be the LEAST weird thing I've heard about Florida in a while.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I'm going with the "Idiot buys an illegal pet and releases it into the Everglades after it eats their cat" theory.
People do it with pythons and iguanas, so why not an African crocodile?

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Fanghawk said:
DNA testing proves it didn't escape from a breeder
No, DNA testing proves it didn't escape from one particular breeder. Or if more comprehensive testing was done that isn't reported, that it didn't escape from a legal breeder. By far the most likely explanation is still that escaped either from an illegal breeder, or more likely just some idiot who thought having a pet crocodile was cool until it got too big.

Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Whats so weird about that? They do swim, and swimming across the ocean isn't that far-fetched.
To start with, Nile crocodiles are primarily fresh water animals. They can survive in salt water, but don't generally swim into the sea out of choice. And being able to swim doesn't necessarily mean you can survive in the open ocean. Most importantly though - they're cold blooded, and have to spend a lot of their time basking in the sun. A crocodile that tried to swim across the Atlantic would almost certainly die of hypothermia long before it got to America.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Kahani said:
Possible and probable aren't necessarily the same. It *can* happen but the chances are low. In this world with the weird quirks that crop up, unlikely events still happen. And yes I'm well aware of the extreme chances involved statistically.
Maybe its an escapee from Hurricane Andrew considering the amount of wildlife that may not have been reported to the government by the owners that could have been lost during the storm.
As I say, it isn't laughable but I should have said the probability is staggeringly low.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Meanwhile, in England, Author (King of the Britons) was asked a most fortuitous question...

"Where'd you get the coconuts?"

Arthur: We found them!

"Found them? This is a temperate zone!"

Arthur: The crocodile may swim far across the ocean, yet these are not strangers to our land.

"Are you suggesting the coconuts are migratory?"

Arthur: Not at all! It could grip it by the husk!

"It's not a question of where he grips it. A giant-sized crocodile can't swim across the ocean!

Nearby Crocodile: Pull the other one!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I believe, like many animals found in places outside of its natural habitat, the blame is in transportation. But instead of the question of some idea of breeders, more like the crocodile did it itself, being of a sneaky and quiet nature getting onto and off of the boat.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Lake Placid was a fantastic B monster movie IMO.

If there's one thing that River Monsters has taught me, it's that America has the wimpiest animal population in the world. Unless ALL of these crocs can be found (as well as the inevitable egg nest) we can expect Florida will have a new and permanent dominant predator in its ecosystem.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
The Bread is Delicious said:
Well, if watching Feed Dump has taught me anything it is that strange reptiles often find homes in people's pants. This one just looks like it was starting to get too big for its breeches. Feed Dump findings would also suggest that the theory concerning there being more than one crocodile swimming around those parts is also based pretty well, given how many reptiles have been found in a single pair of pants.
I would have sworn that there have been more incidences with reptiles in luggage. I might be mixing this up with a podcast that goes over some of the same headlines. They've come to expect this stuff from meth addicts in Florida.