Bananaman Movie Coming 2015 - Really

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Bananaman Movie Coming 2015 - Really

Teaser poster announces movie adaptation of classic UK comic-strip hero

DC Thomson and Elstree Studios have announced the production of a feature film based on the classic British comic-strip and cartoon hero Bananaman. Thus far only a sparse official website [http://www.bananamanmovie.com/] and the trending hashtag #PeelThePower have been revealed, along with a teaser poster.

Created in 1980 for humor magazine Nutty (later merged with The Dandy) by Dave Donaldson, Steve Bright and John Geering; Bananaman is a superhero whose origins and setup are most similar to Captain Marvel/Marvelman, in that the title character is secretly an ordinary schoolboy named Eric who becomes a super-powered costumed hero whenever he eats a banana. Occasionally, his powers and even physical form can differ based on the quantities or varieties of bananas he uses to trigger the transformation. He battles enemies who often parody existing comic book villains, such as Doctor Gloom, Skunk Woman and his own evil doppleganger Appleman.

The strip has run off and on in both The Dandy and Beano magazines continuing to this day, including a digital version. An animated series adaptation [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBN4QU6HUhg] with voices by British comedy team The Goodies, launched in 1983, found success outside the UK in Australia, the U.S. and elsewhere. At this time, no further details on the film version (including whether it would be live-action or animated) have been made available, apart from a projected 2015 release date.

Source: ComicBookMovie [http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=100800]

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
11/10 would watch again.

Really.

I'm amazed this kind of parody has given the film industry the slip for so long, the apeel should be obvious to any produceer. Though I can imagine the focus groups for this one were split.

[sub]I'll show myself out[/sub]

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
So we may be hitting the peak of the super hero cultural return right now. Let's begin the slow descent into... whatever this is going to end up spawning.

Additionally,

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
You know, five years ago I would have just slow clapped and walked away, but with all the ultra serious hero adaptation movies it'd be fun to throw a lighthearted title in the mix. Even if dumb at least it's something. If done well it could be a new thing. Doubtful, but it's something different.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
This was the first thing that sprang to mind:

Could we have a movie for that too?

Can't say I'm familiar with Bananaman, but I tend to enjoy parodies like this. Not sure how much mileage you can get out of it for a full length movie, though.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Must... resist.... obvious... movie... sounds.... bananas... pun...

Well there is unexpected nostalgia bomb if I ever saw one. I remember the cartoon but was unaware that Bananaman had any presence outside the uk or to anyone born after the mid nineties.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
You know, I sometimes recognise local companies on The Escapist when it comes to gaming companies, but I never thought I'd see DC Thomson's name pop up here.

On the subject itself, Bananaman could be fun.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Neverhoodian said:
This was the first thing that sprang to mind:

Could we have a movie for that too?

Can't say I'm familiar with Bananaman, but I tend to enjoy parodies like this. Not sure how much mileage you can get out of it for a full length movie, though.
For me, the first thought was of Mr. Bananagrabber [http://www.cultureglaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/banana_grabber.jpg], a work of fiction within fiction, invented just for a joke in Arrested Development.

Otherwise, hell, a movie was made about Battleship for crying out loud. That opened the floodgates to any idea that could (barely) be recorded onto paper.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
I was more a Beano Boy growing up, so I don't know jack about Banana Man other than he was some ponce who dressed as a Banana and was Adam West Batman. That said, i'm interested.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
You know, I sometimes recognise local companies on The Escapist when it comes to gaming companies, but I never thought I'd see DC Thomson's name pop up here.

On the subject itself, Bananaman could be fun.
Same, I stay in Dundee and grew up reading the Dandy and Beano. This could be quite good if done right.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
The White Hunter said:
Well, he's no Justice Beaver, but I await his arrival with bated breath. Surely it will be a day to remember!

the antithesis said:
Will the movie star Ray Comfort?
Jumping Jiminy Christmas, I hope so.

OT: So that's why I keep seeing people walking around the city centre in banana costumes. Of course, it all makes sense now! 0.0

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Whats the point, they will only use CGI bananas instead of real ones. lol. This could actually be a funny movie, guess it depends on director and the script. Maybe Edgar Wright should make this? lol

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Bananaman? Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Will david Goyer be writing it?

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
For those wondering:

And yes, if done right I would totally watch the hell outta this. It was a staple when growing up for most British folks of a certain age.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
My god I remember Bananaman! I used to read those magazines all the time growing up.

I would absolutely go and see this film just for the nostalgia trip.

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
Oh my god, yes yes yes and more yes.

This and Guardians of the Galaxy are now the only 2 superhero movies i'm interested in seeing.

currently grinning like a loon.