Battlefield 3 Is Free For EA's On The House Program

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Battlefield 3 Is Free For EA's On The House Program

For a limited time, you can snag the base version of Battlefield 3 to keep forever.

Well, EA seems to be taking with one hand [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134862-Battlefield-4-Gets-New-Microtransactions] and giving with the other today, announcing that Battlefield 3 is now completely free for everyone to download and add to their libraries as part of Origin's "On The House" program.

For a limited time, anyone with an Origin account can simply head over to the Battlefield 3 store page [https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/battlefield-3/pc-download/base-game/standard-edition] and add the game to their library, where it will stay forever. Players have until June 3 to add the game, after which it will go back to its regular price. The offer is only for the base version of the game, without any of the DLC packs included in the premium bundle.

EA kicked off the Origin On The House program with Plants Vs. Zombies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133314-Free-Dead-Space-Launches-Origins-On-the-House-Program] in May (which, is actually still free until tomorrow).

Unlike the other games, Battlefield 3 will only be free for a week, so you'll have to act fast!

BF3, though coming on three years old now, still holds up pretty well. In fact, some would say that it's a more polished and enjoyable experience than the more recent Battlefield 4, so its definitely worth picking up if you don't already have it.

Source: Origin [https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/battlefield-3/pc-download/base-game/standard-edition]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The price is still to high for me to be willing to put origin on my system.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Anyone know how well the community is holding up? I'm in the mood for some battlefield but don't want to buy 4 so I'd really love it if I could just re-install 3 and get a few games in.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
a game i enjoyed but unfortunately since the release of BF4, the netcode affected the game as well that it made it pretty unplayable. but maybe i can re install it again and see if things are maybe batter.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Wow, I didn't realise people hated origin that much. I only open it grudgingly, but still, free is free. Even steam doesn't do free on a permanent basis.

EDIT: Even steam doesn't do free on a permanent basis REGULARLY.

Trust the escapist to point out factual errors that are irrelevant to the point.

EDIT2: Please understand I am very much on Team Steam, I just make sure origin's given credit where it's due. For reference I have 3 games on origin, and as for steam....well....

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB [http://steamdb.info/calculator/?player=76561198044132419&country=us])

• Games owned: 188
  • Games not played: 54 (29%)
  • Hours spent: 1,242.2h

EDIT3: Annnnnnnnnd I'm done responding to you guys, any further responses to this post will just be ignored.

milijanko

Nov 19, 2013
Revolutionary said:
Wow, I didn't realise people hated origin that much. I only open it grudgingly, but still, free is free. Even steam doesn't do free on a permanent basis.
Hmmmm, not very often, but it does. AFAIK last two free games were L4D2 6-7 months ago and Red Orchestra 2 (and access to Rising Storm as a rifleman) a month ago. With RO2 and RS being, IMHO, better games than any of the recent Battlefield games.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
ok so i tried to register to origin and
Your password must be 8 - 16 characters, and include at least one lowercase letter, one uppercase letter, and a number.
FUCK YOU. i know how to do my passwords and i dont want your shitty systems meant to force idiots into securing thier passwords. i dont want lowercase letters in my password!

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Strazdas said:
Your password must be 8 - 16 characters, and include at least one lowercase letter, one uppercase letter, and a number.
FUCK YOU. i know how to do my passwords and i dont want your shitty systems meant to force idiots into securing thier passwords. i dont want lowercase letters in my password!
seriously??
i dont have any uppercase letters and i got in. but i guess back then (2010) it was not that strict with security. and i got origin for ME3 in 2011 and i could use my account from bioware.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Metalrocks said:
Strazdas said:
seriously??
i dont have any uppercase letters and i got in. but i guess back then (2010) it was not that strict with security. and i got origin for ME3 in 2011 and i could use my account from bioware.
probably new changes. i noticed this shit creep in a lot lately. its the reason i didnt change my World of Tanks password even for free gold, because i dont want to be put in your insecure password rules, and last thing i want is to broadcast to any possible hacker the small range of possible combinations my password needs to be in.
Also, if you dont comply to these rules anyone trying to brutweforce it wont even consider your possibility so yeah its actually even more secure in reality.
i guess i need to make a new password generation method that includes lowercase letters now, logic be damned.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Ultratwinkie said:
I tried it to test out my graphics card's potential. Sent me to some battle log bullshit. Told me to download a plug in.

Plug in crashes, or installs. I can't tell because it goes away in a fraction of a second.

Battle log refuses to work at all.

Not a very good way to start the day, EA. Is a normal server browser not good enough for you?

And as a disclaimer, its the base game. They expect you to buy the expansions to a game that most likely will be shut down very soon.
"The offer is only for the base version of the game, without any of the DLC packs included in the premium bundle."

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
i bit the bait, i hate EA with my entire soul, but its hard to argue with free, plus technically im still not giving EA any money so i feel less guilty

Teh_Moose

Jan 13, 2014
NuclearKangaroo said:
i bit the bait, i hate EA with my entire soul, but its hard to argue with free, plus technically im still not giving EA any money so i feel less guilty
I feel no guilt nabbing free stuff as long as it won't destroy my PC

disclaimer (for legal purposes): I don't pirate stuff

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Teh_Moose said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

i mean guilt from having to use Origin and in general getting in touch anything EA related

i hate those bastards at EA, they are ruining this industry

Teh_Moose

Jan 13, 2014
NuclearKangaroo said:
Teh_Moose said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

i mean guilt from having to use Origin and in general getting in touch anything EA related

i hate those bastards at EA, they are ruining this industry
oh, that guilt.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Revolutionary said:

Trust the escapist to point out factual errors that are irrelevant to the point.
To be honest there have been already 3 free games on Steam, L4D2, Red Orchestra 2 and Arma: Cold War Assault.

Not really picking sides but its at the same pace as Origin.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
josemlopes said:
Revolutionary said:

To be honest there have been already 3 free games on Steam, L4D2, Red Orchestra 2 and Arma: Cold War Assault.

Not really picking sides but its at the same pace as Origin.
Nope those games were over the course of over a year, whereas origin only started "on the house" recently, not a comparable rate at all. Please don't make me defend origin, I don't want to but I'll do it dammit.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Nice one, I expected something much less meaty, like Peggle.

Now the game itself is a piece of shit, but you can't argue with free stuff.