Quantum Break Gameplay Teaser Announces 2015 Release

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Quantum Break Gameplay Teaser Announces 2015 Release

[vimeo=96781138]
Quantum Break's gameplay will be shown live at Gamescom in August and launches in 2015.

Remedy Games released [a href="http://remedygames.com/quantum-break-gameplay-teaser/"]a video and short announcement[/a] today explaining it's plans for showing off Xbox One game Quantum Break and revealed the game will launch in 2015. In the video Sam Lake, Creative Director and one of Remedy's founding members, states that the gameplay will be revealed during a live demo "for the first time ever in August at Gamescom." While Microsoft will still likely talk up Quantum Break during their E3 press conference on June 9th, we won't see a live demo until the Gamescom conference in Cologne, Germany two months later.

The announcement of a 2015 release isn't too much of a surprise. Quantum Break looks like an ambitious title, both in visuals and scope. Remedy, which also developed Max Payne and Alan Wake, [a href="http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4351412/xbox-one-quantum-break-game"]explains[/a] that the action-adventure, time-manipulation game is involved with a live-action television series with the same name, and "how you play the game impacts the show, and the show informs how you play the game." In the video released today, Lake adds, "The game is about heroes. The show is about villains."

We may not be entirely clear on what to expect from Quantum Break, hopefully seeing it in action in August will help. In the mean time, Remedy has given us a tease of the gameplay in the video above and some new screenshots, below.
[gallery=2584]
Source: [a href="http://remedygames.com/quantum-break-gameplay-teaser/"]Remedy website[/a]

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
The game looks fairly interesting, but I don't see the point of doing tie-ins with TV shows, except to create more publicity. But that can backfire spectacularly when either product sucks balls (look at the Defiance MMO, though I'm not sure which sucked more, the game or the series).

Video should actually be regarded as the older and less advanced medium, because games add the element of interactivity. Instead of doing these silly things with TV shows, or making games that are more like films (aka: Beyond Two Souls), the medium should try to stand on its own two feet and innovate in the way it tells its story.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
This looks good. Alan Wake was easily one of my favorite games last gen, so I have high hopes for QB. Unfortunately, I'm not planning on getting Xbox One any time soon so I guess I'll have to wait for the PC version for a few years.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Is there some sort of rule now where you show a trailer for a game in E3 one year but release the game two years later?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Sam Lake is like Kojima in that you clearly see that he is an avid viewer of american tv/movie content, is in constant contact with english and still manages to have troubles speaking it. Sam Lake at least doesnt seem to use broken english.

More on topic though, I am certainly interested in this game, always have been a Remedy fan so its unfortunate that its a Xbox One exclusive. Even if the TV part of this IP seems a bit unnecessary it does make sense for Remedy to be part of. And since it isnt dependant on player choices (Defiance was, right?) the plot can be focused and have some nice pace.

It honestly doesnt even need to be all that good with the story, when I think of Remedy its more about style and presentation, the story may have some plotholes but they do make an effort in making a game unlike other studios (funnily enough that is why I can also stand the Metal Gear Solid games).

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Aerosteam said:
Is there some sort of rule now where you show a trailer for a game in E3 one year but release the game two years later?
Well you have to make sure to muster up plenty of hype for your announcement of a teaser trailer showcasing an upcoming sneak peak. That's marketing that is.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
CriticalMiss said:
Aerosteam said:
Well you have to make sure to muster up plenty of hype for your announcement of a teaser trailer showcasing an upcoming sneak peak. That's marketing that is.
Ah, I see... hype up a countdown to an announcement of a teaser CGI trailer to an upcoming sneak peak of a preview of a demo for a pre-alpha of a game in some form of leak with pixelated concept art of blurred screenshots. Wow, marketing sure is easy! :D

BlindWorg

Oct 31, 2009
josemlopes said:
Sam Lake is like Kojima in that you clearly see that he is an avid viewer of american tv/movie content, is in constant contact with english and still manages to have troubles speaking it. Sam Lake at least doesnt seem to use broken english.
That's how accents you've spoken your entire life work, it slips (or practically oozes) in when you speak any language other than your native one. What a terrible world it would be to hear everyone speak your typical, perfect American/British accent.

What I'd like to know about the game is how the Player controls (if we can at all) these time mechanics. Time powers infused in a lab accident? Mechanical gizmo utilising the worlds breaking time? Or totally random events of opportunity that the main character can make use of?