Anchorman's Adam McKay Will NOT Direct Marvel's Ant-Man - Update II

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Anchorman's Adam McKay Will NOT Direct Marvel's Ant-Man - Update II

The bad news continues for Marvel Studios' troubled superhero comedy.

Update II: While overnight industry reports seemed to think it was a sure thing, Saturday afternoon Anchorman director Adam McKay confirmed that, while he did meet with Marvel about Ant-Man (the first director believed to have done so), he has decided to pass on the project. [https://twitter.com/GhostPanther/statuses/472823583236845568]

The production of Ant-Man (who has the power to change his size at will and communicate with insects) was thrown into jeopardy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134763-Edgar-Wright-No-Longer-Directing-Marvels-Ant-Man] by the surprise eleventh hour departure of longtime would-be helmer Edgar Wright. The producers are still determined to have the film in theaters for its scheduled July 17th 2015 release.

That means finding a new director to bring the mostly-completed pre-production (the film was already cast, storyboarded and planned out with many major action scenes pre-visualized) left behind by Wright into line with the still unknown script changes Disney is reported to have imposed on the project. With McKay (reportedly the first choice, owing to familiarity with lead actor Paul Rudd) now out of the running, the remaining prospects are said to be We're The Millers' Rawson Marshall Thurber and Zombieland's Ruben Fleischer. Fleischer is also on tap as a potential director for the similarly-troubled Ghostbusters 3.

Sources: THR [http://http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67523]

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
The rumored shortlist is McKay, Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland, Gangster Squad), and Rawson Thurber (We're the Millers, Dodgeball).

McKay is indeed the best option here, just PLEEAAAASE don't let it be Thurber.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Well...I mean one of the guys behind one of the worst Owen Willson movies next to Drillbit Taylor also gave us, in my opinion, one of the greatest action movies to come along in a long time with Captain America 2...I'll keep my mind open.

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
Look up from your "Edgar Wright" "Ant Man" goggle alerts...
"Josh Brolin cast as the voice of Thanos."

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I swore I would never gloat about fanboy tears...

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Apparently, Adam McKay just turned down the job, which, in my opinion, is excellent news (I mean, sure, his movies are funny, but in terms of pure craftsmanship, McKay is actually a pretty terrible director - he would have no idea how to handle a real action-heavy movie).

Seriously Marvel, just let Edgar Wright direct the movie the way he fucking wants to - I KNOW you're worried that it won't connect to "the common man" but for fucks sake, take a risk every once and a while.

Here's what I recommend. Go to Edgar Wright's house and do this...

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
HardRockSamurai said:
Apparently, Adam McKay just turned the job...
The drama surrounding this is probably more entertaining than the movie is going to be.

Ant-Man is no small problem!

Also, I think this takes me even further from MovieBob's stance. No matter how troubled the project is, Marvel probably isn't going to move from their 2015 release date, to maintain the momentum and because the movie will obviously tie into the next Avengers film, so it needs to come out in a timely fashion.

It's a movie serving a franchise, similar to TASM2.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Hasn't Chris Evans expressed interest in directing? They could win back a lot of goodwill by letting him do it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This is a shame. I mean, I have no fucks to give about Ant-Man, but I really want the overall Marvel brand to do good.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
The Zombieland director seems like a good match, but I gotta ask, why are they even making Antman as a comedy?

I say they hire Russell Mulcahy (director of The Shadow) and let the comedy come from the camp of the comic.
Of course Marvel isn't reading this thread or listening to me.

Oct 20, 2010
Sylocat said:
Hasn't Chris Evans expressed interest in directing? They could win back a lot of goodwill by letting him do it.
That's so crazy it just might work!

I like it, now get Marvel to listen to you.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Marvel seems to make a job with hiring good directors that fit each movie, so as much as i like Edgar Wright, im sure Marvel would get another good director. Wish DC did this, seems to me they have one man doing all their films, no wonder they are rushing Justice League if they arnt willing to hire other directors to do the movies.