Batman: Arkham Knight Rides Batmobile in Style - Hands on - Update

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
One of the cinematic takedowns the series is known for involves tossing thugs into the air so that the Batmobile can shoot them with its guns.
Are you sure this is game is about Batman and not the Punisher?

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
I love how hilariously lethal the Batmobile is. You have these three guns that can, between them, kill anything short of a battleship, and then there's this tiny riot gun tacked on almost as an afterthought. I know it comes in handy, but I can see Bruce Wayne sitting in his Batcave, stroking his chin and thinking to himself, "I hate guns... but what if I need to fight the Army someday? Screw it, let's build a super-tank."

Apr 5, 2008
I hope those screenshots turn out to be the real deal, and not an Ubisoft marketing lie. It looks and sounds incredible, tho I must admit to having missed the last two Batgames despite owning them. Asylum was great so maybe it's time to enjoy the other two.

And that's where the new function of the Batmobile comes in; the thing is a goddamned Transformer. With the push of a shoulder button, the car goes from pursuit mode to battle mode. In battle mode, you have much greater mobility and maneuverability. You're able to dodge with a quick button tap, as well as move laterally left and right, while laying down machine gun fire peppered with the occasional high-powered cannon shot. The cannon is on a cooldown, so you'll have to dodge enemy fire as you wait for it to recharge. Playing as a Batmobile tank takes a bit of time to figure out - during the demo, they insisted I play through a short tutorial scenario before starting the demo proper - but once you do, it is thoroughly enjoyable.

It is very easy to transition between driving the Batmobile and wading into a fist fight with Batman - you can even time Batman's arrival so that he jumps out of the car and immediately starts comboing off punching the bad guys. One of the cinematic takedowns the series is known for involves tossing thugs into the air so that the Batmobile can shoot them with its guns. That's because the Batmobile can be controlled remotely. Yeah, the gadget wheel has a remote control that you can basically use drive the vehicle even when Batman is busy somewhere else. This was also useful when infiltrating Ace Chemicals and trying to get past the many puzzles. The Batmobile can shoot a tether cable, and pull objects like stuck doors, or in one memorable sequence, the counterweight to an elevator system so that Batman can get further into the plant to rescue Ace Chemical workers.
Wow, that sounds fantastic! I love the idea of using the car in this way to complement the Man. If done right there should be some fantastic, tricky puzzles with all sorts of combinations of moves from the Man and the Machine. One to look forward to.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Falterfire said:
One of the cinematic takedowns the series is known for involves tossing thugs into the air so that the Batmobile can shoot them with its guns.
Are you sure this is game is about Batman and not the Punisher?
Yeah I'm becoming concerned. I know the batmobile would probably include some heavy weapons but having artillery and machine guns capable of full scale tank battles just doesn't fit the character of Batman. Not to mention the fact that there is absolutely no way to prevent casualties when in a full on mechanized warfare engagement. In the grand scheme of things Batman is a small scale hero and this sounds more like an urban combat game that stars Batman. I have a lot of faith in Rocksteady but I'm nervous just the same.

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
Same as all the above, couldn't help but notice how offensive some of these weapons are....

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
Jasper van Heycop said:
I wonder how they are going to uphold the no killing rule (which they have upheld so faithfully in the previous games) when they give the player access to a murder machine with machine guns and rockets. Not that I'd really mind if they didn't, after all I love Burton's Batman and he doesn't fuck around.
Well, if by faithfully you mean to the point where bad guys hit invisible walls on rooftops when clearly hit with a puch that would knock them off to their vertical deaths...

Then yeah, There will be no problem there. They did say thugs will always jump out of the way of the speeding batmobile, so I don't see anything in the way of having some more heavy weapons that still won't kill thugs.
Maybe they all carry non-lethal rounds (I mean like weaker explosives, not some shocking bombs or anything), that can still pack a punch.
In the comics Batman and the batfamily do carry this kind of arsenal for when they know the enemy won't die or something like that (I think Bat-girl said something in the lines of "nasty batarangs" for one).

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Batman: Arkham Knight Rides Batmobile in Style - Hands on - Update

The caped crusader has a nifty vehicle at his disposal, and it?s no gimmicky feature.

Read Full Article

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Seems kind of counter intuitive, the criminals will be able to run faster with their bowels emptied after seeing the Batmobile.