On FMV in Games, Gore and Giving a Middle Finger to Censors

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
On FMV in Games, Gore and Giving a Middle Finger to Censors

When FMV was the next big thing, all the games looked like shit.

Read Full Article

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Half-Life, Thief, System Shock 2, Deus Ex. All great games, all look like ass.
Truer words have never been spoken.

But yeah, it does seem like we're heading for something good seeing as we've already had about three years of the "increase teh graphics" arms race. I think the new consoles will just end up being part of it by accident (or is it coincidence).

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I see your "Let's drown out" is influencing the work. Just give it a few more weeks and we will have Gabriel guest staring.

Evonisia said:
But yeah, it does seem like we're heading for something good seeing as we've already had about three years of the "increase teh graphics" arms race. I think the new consoles will just end up being part of it by accident (or is it coincidence).
I think graphics will be less of a thing in not too long, cause it seems we have, or are very close, to hitting the roof. We can't climb anymore until we find an exceptionally powerful jackhammer to dig a hole with. I hope so anyway.

Jan 12, 2012
Roofstone said:
Evonisia said:
I think graphics will be less of a thing in not too long, cause it seems we have, or are very close, to hitting the roof. We can't climb anymore until we find an exceptionally powerful jackhammer to dig a hole with. I hope so anyway.
They are making that jackhammer, though, with multi-million dollar studios designing incredibly intricate engines. Now it's a race to see if they can hit a peak of quality graphics that can be reproduced cheaply before every studio on the planet folds under the economic pressure. So far, I think the the latter is winning.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Problem with FMV games is it just seems too much like a TV show. Why does it need to be a video game at that point?

Conversely, they could be better if they were done by people who actually do TV shows instead of actors and game devs who have no idea what they're doing.

Where's my Law and Order: SVU FMV game?

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I probably would hate FMV games if my exposure to them wasn't mainly limited to the Command & Conquer series, most specifically Red Alert 2. Red Alert 2 was awesome and used FMV well, so I never learned to hate FMV.

Jadwick

Jan 4, 2013
All hail a return to FMV!

With zany overacting, low-resolution video, and terribly dressed characters.

As long as I don't have to re-install Quicktime.

One of my favorite games had FMV and it's probably really unheard of - The Robot Club.
Yeah it was one of those 'edutainment' games, but you got to build and program freaking robots!

Now that I think about it that game was actually a really good primer to sequential programming for an 8 year old, plus the challenges actually got pretty taxing.

Ohhh, and you could also build robots to fight each other with lasers and tennis balls and robitc arms and all sorts of other stuff, and the winner came down to whoever had the best design and program.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Given the "retro" game craze, that seems like all the more reason to try a return to FMV.

Hmm, do I smell a Kickstarter?

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Relevant: it was announced today The Seventh Guest 3's campaign has been terminated after it again failed to get enough backing. :(

blackaesir

May 16, 2014
It seems like Yatzee has failed to realize one critical thing. FMV sequences don't allow for macho characters with tree trunks for arms, hams for chins and refrigerators for armor. FMV sequesnces would deprive an entire generation of young gamers from experiencing testosterone injected one-note characters. That would be terrible.

Also, given how many interesting games have been coming out that are not made by the AAA industry, but smaller development teams, I would agree that the pendelum is already swinging the other way. At the very least we are seeing the formation of two divergent branches of the video game market. There are upsides and downsides to both (see Jim's past videos on Steam).

LoneWolf83

Apr 8, 2014
The problem with FMV games is the FMV's looked like crap even for the time. Half-Life, Thief, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, etc looked good for their time (maybe, I don't know, I was too poor to afford them when they came out). Now if FMV games could have survived to the era of DVD's they could have succeeded. Maybe they will make a comeback, it could even be cheaper to make an FMV game than to make a cutscene.

Howling Din

Mar 10, 2011
Yahtzee didn't write this.

Look it's fine if he didn't have time this week but don't lie to my face by leaving his name up.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
LoneWolf83 said:
The problem with FMV games is the FMV's looked like crap even for the time. Half-Life, Thief, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, etc looked good for their time (maybe, I don't know, I was too poor to afford them when they came out). Now if FMV games could have survived to the era of DVD's they could have succeeded. Maybe they will make a comeback, it could even be cheaper to make an FMV game than to make a cutscene.
I don't think any of those games made any waves with their graphics even at their time. I think Deus Ex was even kind of mocked a bit in tha department.

Oh, and I can't leave an FMV game topic without mentioning another game that actually "got it", to the extent that was possible. "Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within". For the most part, the acting was passable to good, with or two rather corny ones in there. Gameplay wise, it didn't step away too much from point and click format, with some good puzzles and dialogue trees in there. The script was solid and jolly good supernatural/historical mystery. And it had a freaking opera filmed for it. Try it out, if you get the chance.

captcha: "what to see"
I think I already answered that.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I remember some good Game vids. Different genre though.

8:20- Damn you used to be awesome Kane.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Howling Din said:
Yahtzee didn't write this.

Look it's fine if he didn't have time this week but don't lie to my face by leaving his name up.
Care to share why you think that Yahtzee didn't write it?

OT: I've always thought that when games switched from CGI to live action it was jarring and looked really stupid. If they could somehow make a game look entirely live action it might work, possibly, but it would probably still look stupid. Personally, I hope that FMV remains a relic of the past.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
shiajun said:
LoneWolf83 said:
I don't think any of those games made any waves with their graphics even at their time. I think Deus Ex was even kind of mocked a bit in that department.
While none made waves I don't recall any of them being particularly bad at the time. They all aged visually incredibly badly though.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
I remember playing 7th Guest and the FMV stuff freaking me out. Okay, the actors were corny, especially the guy playing old man Stauf. But that game was seriously creepy- I remember the old lady wishing to have her youth back and turning into a baby over a short period of time, the scene with the older man and his lover where his head morphed into that of a goat and the lover's head/face changed into a skull, and the really creepy video in the attic where a baby with a Stauf doll is lying in its crib and gets strangled by the doll. Ironically, the 11th Hour, made with far better video bits, wasn't half as scary as the original game. Also, can we mention Wing Commander 3? That game's video was awesome, and held up for a very long time.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Sylocat said:
Given the "retro" game craze, that seems like all the more reason to try a return to FMV.

Hmm, do I smell a Kickstarter?
Well, Tesla Effect, the latest Tex Murphy game was kickstarted.