Stephen Colbert Grows Tony Stark Beard

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Stephen Colbert Grows Tony Stark Beard

Hilarious, but let's be real: Some people cannot grow facial hair effectively.

Stephen Colbert's guest last night was controversial (and awesome) French economist and polemicist Thomas Piketty, author of Capital in the Twenty-First Century. Capital is a scathing critique of the current economic model favored by the US and EU member nations which, Picketty argues persuasively, has contributed to rising inequality in otherwise wealthy nations. Obviously, Colbert, or more accurately, "Colbert"*, is firmly against this book, and made his solidarity with the billionaires the book criticizes known. Well, actually, he made his solidarity with noted genius billionaire playboy philanthropists known, by growing out a Tony Stark style beard for the interview.

Watch the whole thing, but I do want to single out the crowning moment of hilarity: "Then who's saving New York from the Chitari? Hawkeye? Yeah, after he gets there on the bus."

[colbertnation=a1eb087f-4b7d-4b9a-959f-208de3f989f0]

* Just a note for the three of four people left who don't get that Colbert is only pretending to be an arch right winger.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
If only the video was watchable in any country besides America :(.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008

He looks... okay actually. I mean, no one can hold a candle to RDJ but I expected worse.

I'm sure it's hilarious, but I just see a black box on here and the other site I went to. I suppose it's on Youtube but I sadly don't care enough unless actual RDJ is in it XD

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
Kheapathic said:
And this is considered newsworthy... I dare say the Escapist has finally reached Kotaku's level of desperation.
To be honest, it does look pretty good on him. And I really like the man so I'll give this item a pass.

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
Kheapathic said:
Vareoth said:
Kheapathic said:
And this is considered newsworthy... I dare say the Escapist has finally reached Kotaku's level of desperation.
To be honest, it does look pretty good on him. And I really like the man so I'll give this item a pass.
I'm not debating the man or his looks, but that a man growing a beard is worthy enough to warrant an official news article here. If this is the case; I'll be expecting an article when Felicia Day is menstruating, or maybe when Daniel Radcliffe grows a mustache. The article isn't even sensationolism or fluff, it's a "so what" at best.
I understand your point. I'm just saying by means of a pleasantry that I'm indifferent to the fact concerning whether or not this item is worthy of any journalistic merit. To me it served as a quick pleasant distraction between reading about all the shit happening in Ukraine.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Eh, while the headline most definitely isn't news-worthy I do think the subject matter being discussed is.

Sounds like an interesting book, might have to pick it up myself.

Ajarat

Apr 29, 2014
Weaver said:
If only the video was watchable in any country besides America :(.
I encountered the same problem a while ago. If you are from Canada, the following link will work:
http://www.thecomedynetwork.ca/Shows/TheColbertReport

You can also view 'The Daily Show' on the same site. Unfortunately, I don't know if the site works outside of Canada. If it does, I would be grateful to hear as much.

Sorry in advance for the commercials, but imho these comedians deserve the revenue. Hope I was of some help.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Oh come on guys, he grew the Stark over the week off so that he can have an economics discussion with a French author about the problems with American capitalism, point and ridiculous counterpoint, with Stephen Stark representing a parody of the 1%, as he so often does. This may not be newsworthy, but it is a unique show of dedication to one's art. As a counterpoint to the skeptics, I personally enjoy the new Escapist btw, greatly expanded coverage on things I may (or may not) care to read about. It's like the old addage, you don't know you want something until someone shows it to you. Major publications like National Geographic make their millions wholly on this premise.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
While from what I've read of Piketty's work (Capital is a fucking beast of a tome) it is a scathing and brilliant critique of modern inequality in western economies, a lot of the reviews and analyses I've read say it falls into the far too common trap of not providing practical solutions or alternatives. But I do have to sit down and read the damn thing properly (it's joined the backlog).

On topic though, Stephen is rocking that facial hair.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
Wow, the internet is full of whingers isn't it? Putting aside the question of why people are coming to a website called THE ESCAPIST looking for super srs important news, why come into an article about someone growing an Iron Man beard if you don't care? It says what it is on the tin. The Escapist is spreading itself pretty broadly these days and I'm smart enough not to feel the need to read everything they put up just because it's there. That's what titles are for.

OT: That looks better than I expected, but then Stephen ever goes halfway, does he? Shame the link doesn't work in Australia (and I missed that episode).

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/full-episodes/3cuyeg/june-2--2014---thomas-piketty

Full episode that should be available international.

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
hmmm...interesting...

monday Colbert had the tony stark goatee. Tonight's episode's last 3secounds had the camera zoom in on the Captain America Shield in his set just before cutting...

AT the least he may be hinting at a cameo in something GotG or otherwise.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Mcoffey said:
My compliments to Mr. Colbert. That is a tough beard to sculpt and maintain effectively. So many severe angles...
He's got a makeup and hair crew...

OT: Interesting. I always thought he looked a bit odd, but a Stark-style goatee makes him look less odd. No offense to the guy, he was awesome as Phil Ken Sebben.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm in Argentina and the video is perfectly viewable.
Comedy Central's site is blocked in the UK actually, and from what my other friends have said it's blocked in other countries in Europe as well.

OT: Man, I guess this site can only have super srz news all the time, not time to post fun stories or anything. Personally I like it, and I think Colbert pulls off an excellent Robert Downy Jr. beard. That being said, Robert Downy Jr really does pull off that look well. :D

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
JET1971 said:
http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/full-episodes/3cuyeg/june-2--2014---thomas-piketty

Full episode that should be available international.
Apparently not. I'm the UK here and all i can see is another delightful black box.

I'd really like to check some of colbert's stuff but it seems completely unavailable in the uk. :(