Don't Miss Out On A Chance To Win A Kindle Fire

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
Don't Miss Out On A Chance To Win A Kindle Fire

We're giving you a chance to win your very own Kindle Fire, this doesn't happen often to make sure to get your name in the running.

In the past we have given away games, some better than others. Today we are changing everything. Today we are teaming up with GameFront to give away a Kindle Fire. This piece of futuristic technology basically puts the entirety of human technological progress into the palm of your hand. You'll have access to almost any book that you've ever wanted to read, from Robert A. Heinlein to Dan Brown, and thousands you didn't even realize you were missing out on. We want you to read - it's fundamental after all - and this is the perfect way to get the wordy bits into your brain. It doesn't have to be all books and reading, though. The Kindle Fire is set up to play movies and games as well. You have the whole of the Android App Store at your fingertips, so you'll have all your favorite streaming apps, from Netflix to Hulu Plus. We don't want you to be bored, and we know that you love games, too, so why not use this for all of your mobile gaming needs. The only thing that makes Angry Birds even better is when it's on a larger screen, and the Kindle Fire has a 7.5 x 4.7 inch screen that will allow you to launch your birds to unthinkable lengths.

This giveaway isn't going to last forever. In fact, it's only going on until June 30th at 11:59pm Eastern US time. That may seem like a long time, but in the grand scheme of things, it's just a drop in the bucket.

Take a moment for yourself and get yourself entered to win a Kindle Fire [http://lockerdome.com/theescapist/6170038851878465/6663343293467162].

[lockerdome=6663343293467162]

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
If you like books or comic books, and have looked at a Kindle and gone "Why would I need one of those?" let me be the first to tell you that these things are AWESOME.

The early Kindles were slow as shit but these babies run fast as lightning, at least as far as books, music and comic books are concerned. I personally don't see the point in using one for gaming (ain't that what the 3DS/Vita are for?) but for books, it's a real relief being able to carry a personal library in a pocket EDIT(it's late okay?): a bag, so it's great if you're short on space but love reading.

The Fire has color too which makes it great for comic books - I've bought full volumes off both Comixology and the Amazon Store and they both look great. Most books also feature a panel-by-panel function which makes it easy to see what's going on in the tinier/more complex panels.

I think my favorite thing though has gotta be the rebirth of the dime novel - you can buy a crapton of books from various genres for under 3 dollars apiece. You get what you pay for with some of them, but you'll be surprised how many great self-published books there are out there.

One big problem though is that it doesn't have the easy organization of the other Kindles - I still haven't been able to find out how to stuff things in sortable folders, and I've got a LOT of shit in there right now.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Xyebane said:
Too bad this is US residents only :(
Too bad it seems to require Twitter.
too bad its using LockerDome which is known to steal data and abuse the posting rights on twitter as well as spam your email with endless ads.

Im not sacrificing my privacy for a lottery. apperently many people do because it keeps working.

scotth266 said:
If you like books or comic books, and have looked at a Kindle and gone "Why would I need one of those?" let me be the first to tell you that these things are AWESOME.
but you can already do that, with phones, and using better formats, also dont need to use the awful unlit kindle screens.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
"ELIGIBILITY This Sweepstakes is open only to legal residents of the United States and the District of Columbia"

What an effing shock.

What's up Escapist, no love for anyone outside America?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Strazdas said:
but you can already do that, with phones, and using better formats, also dont need to use the awful unlit kindle screens.
A Kindle has a much larger screen than a phone, the format is fine, and Kindle Fires have brightness settings that practically turn the things into flashlights.

If you're talking about the old Kindles, yeah, THOSE had unlit screens, and they were terrible. These are superior by far.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
1) Outside the US? .... tough!
2) Give LockerDome the rights to your data and your twitter account
3) Watch how quickly those who make you aware of these facts get punished
4) All for the slim chance of winning another electrical item that will sit around your house hardly being used (seriously I use mine once a week to order the shopping!

Remember the days when you entered a contest and that was it, no data farming, no selling your details to the highest bidder? The world is becoming a sad place.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Strazdas said:
Kindle Fire is an actual tablet rather than an ereader.

scotth266 said:
If you're talking about the old Kindles, yeah, THOSE had unlit screens, and they were terrible. These are superior by far.
For reading books, I ill take an e-ink reader over a tablet any day of the week. Lit or unlit.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
scotth266 said:
Strazdas said:
A Kindle has a much larger screen than a phone, the format is fine, and Kindle Fires have brightness settings that practically turn the things into flashlights.

True, the screen size is equivalent of a small pad there. Not sure about Fires version settings so i cant argue with that.
The most lighting related thing i hate is the touted "real paper lighting" which is a nice word for "lighting that will ruin your eyes".

AwesomeDave

Feb 10, 2011
Um... from the contest's official rules....

"This Sweepstakes is open all international citizens who are 13 years of age or older at the time of entry. Employees (and their immediate families or those living in the same household) of LockerDome LLC (?LockerDome?) and The Escapist (?Sponsor?) and their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, divisions, parent and related companies, suppliers, printers and advertising, promotional and judging agencies are not eligible to enter or win."

How exactly is that US onry?

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
Kay, ignoring everything people said which are valid points and up to their opinion, it doesn't work for me. I'm hitting enter, gave my spam email, and it's not changing at all. I tried doing the favorite app thing, didn't work. Reloaded page, now nothing works.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Strazdas said:
too bad its using LockerDome which is known to steal data and abuse the posting rights on twitter as well as spam your email with endless ads.
Thank you. I'd never heard of LockerDome before, and now I know to blackhole them.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
ewhac said:
Strazdas said:
Thank you. I'd never heard of LockerDome before, and now I know to blackhole them.
Yes, quite sad that Escapist is using LocerDome now, especially since they used to do this kind of stuff without it in the past.

Jay Drew

Oct 9, 2014
I am a student and use my Kindle for revision notes using Clippings.io. Was wondering if anyone had any other good site recommendations?