Xbox One Controller Now Supported on PC

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Xbox One Controller Now Supported on PC

The Xbox One now has official PC drivers, giving PC users the option of using Xbox One controllers for games that support the Xbox 360 controller.

Beginning today Windows PC users can install drivers that will allow use of the Xbox One controller with games that support it. The drivers will be published in a future Windows update "in the near future," but they are available for download on Microsoft's Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb's blog. [http://majornelson.com/2014/06/05/pc-drivers-for-the-xbox-one-controller-available-now/]

The drivers make the Xbox One controller compatible with any PC game that supports the Xbox 360 controller. Players need to install the drivers and connect the Xbox One controller to the PC with a micro USB cable. They will not work wirelessly with the PC at this point.

"We know our fans have wanted PC compatibility, and we know they wanted to be able to use the Xbox One controller with the same games and applications they have been playing with using the Xbox 360 controller," Hryb wrote on his blog. "We can't wait for them to play their favorite PC games with what we consider the best controller ever made and we're excited for fans to experience the improved D-pad, redesigned battery compartment, new comfortable design and offset analog sticks."

Microsoft made slight changes to the Xbox One controller from the 360 controller. The D-pad is different, the design has changed, and a grip texture around the sticks. For PC users who prefer controllers to a mouse and keyboard and prefer the Xbox One controller to the 360 controller, this is great news. Hopefully Microsoft will release a wireless receiver for the Xbox One in the future.

Source: Major Nelson [http://majornelson.com/2014/06/05/pc-drivers-for-the-xbox-one-controller-available-now/]

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
YAY! I can finally grab that limited edition titanfall controller :D. ME = Happy

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
As long as they arent PC compatible versions as they were with the 360 and all versions work with the PC its cool. One thing that always bugged me about the 360 ones was that only the special PC wired ones worked on both systems (or you had to buy the wireless adapter or something)

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
josemlopes said:
As long as they arent PC compatible versions as they were with the 360 and all versions work with the PC its cool. One thing that always bugged me about the 360 ones was that only the special PC wired ones worked on both systems (or you had to buy the wireless adapter or something)
Really? Ive been playing with my wired 360 controller ever since my sibling broke the rumble thing. It works perfect and all I had to do is download a driver. now I did see that they sold a wireless adapter and a wired controller specifically for pc but I never needed to but since I had a wired controller already I didn't have to buy anything. anyway great update glad to see it.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
dystopiaINC said:
josemlopes said:
Really? Ive been playing with my wired 360 controller ever since my sibling broke the rumble thing. It works perfect and all I had to do is download a driver. now I did see that they sold a wireless adapter and a wired controller specifically for pc but I never needed to but since I had a wired controller already I didn't have to buy anything. anyway great update glad to see it.
It does but I would have liked that my other 360 wired controllers could work on the PC instead of needing a specially compatible one.

EDIT: I realised that I read it wrong, sorry.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
This is cool. I do love the Xbox One controller and it feels so comfy to use.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
josemlopes said:
dystopiaINC said:
josemlopes said:
It does but I would have liked that my other 360 wired controllers could work on the PC instead of needing a specially compatible one.
He just stated that his does. Not sure what your talking about any more.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
This is good. Although, if you want wireless and already have a 360 pad, you might as well wait until MS makes a wireless dongle. If I remember right, when you could find the 360 dongle separate from a controller, it would cost more to buy them in individually that in the set. I could imagine MS doing this again to milk PC gamers a little more.

If MS is using a different wireless protocol for xbone controllers from 360 controllers, I still don't get why MS didn't just go with bluetooth. (Licensing? Pff. Bluetooth is in everything and paying royalties never hurt the little accessory companies. Interference? Smack anyone around you with the bluetooth active on their phones because you got a major problem if two things can't pair when they're in line of sight within 3 meters.)

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
josemlopes said:
dystopiaINC said:
josemlopes said:
That what I'm saying, I literally just dug the controller my sister Broke out of a box in the basement downloaded a driver off the Microsoft website and started playing with my wired 360 controller. ALL wired 360 controllers should be able to do that. If you have a Wired controller you can use it.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Eiv said:
josemlopes said:
dystopiaINC said:
josemlopes said:
Hmm, you are right, I read it wrong.

But weird, I remember when I got it that in multiple forums it was said that the only way was by using the adapter for the wireless or to have the PC compatible wired one. They clearly stated that the normal wired one wouldnt work. Maybe they updated the drivers, I dont know.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
josemlopes said:
Eiv said:
josemlopes said:
dystopiaINC said:
josemlopes said:
Hmm, you are right, I read it wrong.

But weird, I remember when I got it that in multiple forums it was said that the only way was by using the adapter for the wireless or to have the PC compatible wired one. They clearly stated that the normal wired one wouldnt work. Maybe they updated the drivers, I dont know.
Must have, can't remember there being much fanfare surrounding it. Happy days though.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Honestly I really liked the Xbone controller, enough to make me consider upgrading my old 360 controller.

Just one question, is it wireles compatible?.

EDIT: My oh my, watching Mayor Nelson's blog answers my question. And it sucks.

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
Great controller. Felt good when I tried it.

And a shame that the flimsiest piece of shyte cable connector that brakes most often is used to hook it up to a PC.

Not for me just yet, as those horrendous prices just add insult to injury.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Does it feel significantly different to a 360 controller? I haven't tried it.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Happy to see this, and its nice that the drivers don't appear to be Win8 exclusive. I guess even MS has given up on trying to force people onto that particular sinking ship. I'm also totally fine with it needing to be plugged in. Fuck my old wireless mouse, fuck my current wireless keyboard, fuck wireless in general, corded reliability FTW.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
K12 said:
Does it feel significantly different to a 360 controller? I haven't tried it.
The D-pad is a million times better than the original one, but then again it's not hard to have a better D-pad than the 360's. The main complaint I have with the controller is that the bumpers are way too close to each other, but other than that it's fine.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Hopefully they'll make the wireless version working with the old receiver.
Regardless the 360 controller works perfectly for me, whenever I need one on my PC.