Alien: Isolation Fulfills Sci-Fi Promise of First Alien Film - Hands On

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Alien: Isolation Fulfills Sci-Fi Promise of First Alien Film - Hands On

Ridley Scott would be proud of Sega?s offering in the Alien franchise.

Read Full Article

jdarksun

Nov 3, 2003
Greg, nice write-up! Did you get to play the same section multiple times? Was there the sense that the gameplay was fairly randomized and emergent, or somewhat static?

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
I like what they're going for, but I'm worried that there are only so many ways to play ie limited number of ways you can go about things.

Also, don't the xenos have super senses? Some of the novels (canon?) that I've read have even hinted that they have some form of telepahty with which they hunt. Just that based on the xenos as I know them, simply hiding in a locker and holding your breath isn't gonna cut it. One might argue "if you made them like the true xenos, you would have no way to hide." To that I say, Newt hid for what, two weeks? :)

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
This game sounds horrible, but in the best possible way.

The real question is whether I have the nerve to play it or not, AVP2010 and Colonial MArines rather neutered the Xenomorphs since you could melee them, but all the way back on AvP 1 and 2 I have distinctly unpleasant memories of frantic back pedalling from face huggers or wall crawlers. Even with a gun that was horrible, not sure I'll survive playing it without a viable means of dispatching the damned thing...

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
"Run for more than 2 or 3 seconds and it's instant death for Amanda."

Welp, if this is how it works then no sale for me. This sort of contrived bullshit is what turned me off of the Penumbra and Amnesia series. I can understand running making you a very easy-to-locate target, but instant death just from running for a few seconds no matter where the xenomorph is? It's an artificial timesink and a cheap way to manufacture tension instead of letting it generate naturally.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Can't.
Fucking.
Wait.

.......but I'm not gonna pre-order this time. =P

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Sounds promising indeed. I shall continue to keep this game in my sights. Here's hoping they do it right this time, and if this preview is anything to go by, it sounds like they did.
The Rogue Wolf said:
"Run for more than 2 or 3 seconds and it's instant death for Amanda."

Welp, if this is how it works then no sale for me. This sort of contrived bullshit is what turned me off of the Penumbra and Amnesia series. I can understand running making you a very easy-to-locate target, but instant death just from running for a few seconds no matter where the xenomorph is? It's an artificial timesink and a cheap way to manufacture tension instead of letting it generate naturally.
I agree with you, and I wouldn't be surprised if the writer was either exaggerating, or if the developers tweak that a bit. It does seem rather harsh to always die if you sprint for too long.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Sounds promising for the most part.

I do wonder how long this game will end up being. As weird as it may sound, from the article I'd say this game would be best served with a fairly short campaign. It sounds like if the game starts dragging out, the gameplay would quickly wear out its welcome, coming apart at the seams and revealing its limitations, which would be detrimental to the suspense and immersion.

That's pure conjecture based on limited information, of course.