Updated: PlayStation TV Announced for U.S. Release This Fall

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Updated: PlayStation TV Announced for U.S. Release This Fall

Sony's answer to set-top box devices will be available for $99 or in a $139 bundle, and allow owners to stream PS3 games and other services.

PlayStation TV, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129648-PlayStation-Vita-TV-Launches-In-Japan-Americans-Feel-Left-Out>released as PlayStation Vita TV in Japan, will launch in the U.S. for $99 this fall, or in a bundle package for $139.

The bundle will include a DualShock 3 controller, an HDMI cable, an 8 gigabyte memory card and a copy of the Lego Movie video game.

The PlayStation TV, which operates similarly to a set-top box, will allow owners to stream PS4 titles to a second TV in their house, separate from the one their PS4 is hooked up to, using the system's Remote Play feature. It will also allow them to play "hundreds" of PS3 titles through the PlayStation Now service, which will <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11621-PlayStation-Now-Open-Beta-Starts-July-31st-for-PS4>go into beta on July 31.

Owners will also have access to "most" PS Vita titles as well as PS1 and PSP games, in addition to music and video streaming services.

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/e3-2014]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I can say I'm happy for this because now I can record my PS Vita for my channels without having to spend $500 on a capture board. There aren't nearly enough games for me to justify spending $500 on a capture board at all, and while some games aren't supported, some are better than nothing in my case. :p
Hand no problem spending money on the 3DS capture board though. :3

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
weirdee said:
Wait, are PS2 games in there, or not?
Not yet, because Sony's been stupid with the Vita like crazy and haven't put support for PS2 games. >.>
Plus they are still using that damned proprietary memory. Come on Sony, it didn't work with the PSP, it won't work with the Vita!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so wait, a useless peripheral that does what our current devices already do. and i should buy one because?

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Since the article makes no mention of it and in case anyone is wondering: yes, it's also coming to Europe [http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/06/10/introducing-playstation-tv/].

Strazdas said:
so wait, a useless peripheral that does what our current devices already do. and i should buy one because?
It's not a peripheral, but basically the Vita redesigned as a mini console. They're calling it a companion to the PS4, but a lot of people (including myself) see it as an affordable alternative, giving access to a sizable chunk of the libraries of several PlayStation systems at a lower price point. If you already own a PS3/PS4 and a PS Vita, then there is indeed no point in buying this, since you have all the functionality, but not everyone can/wants to spend that money.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Eeeuurooope, Eu- Come to Eurooo[small]ooope...[/small]
Please... I need this in my hands. I want to play Persona 4 Golden so badly.
Just... C'mo- Do it already, c'mon...

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Wait, so is this just a rebranding of the PS Vita TV?

Also, that streaming bit implies that you can only unlock this device's true potential if you already own a PS4.

Also, they're making it sound like your PS4 will be sitting there, doing nothing but streaming to a second device, so you couldn't have Person A playing a game on their PS4 and Person B on their Playstation TV with a separate experience. It would basically be the same streaming experience that Steam now has, where you are using two PCs for one game instead of just the one.

The future, ladies and gentleman.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Chimpzy said:
Strazdas said:
It's not a peripheral, but basically the Vita redesigned as a mini console. They're calling it a companion to the PS4, but a lot of people (including myself) see it as an affordable alternative, giving access to a sizable chunk of the libraries of several PlayStation systems at a lower price point. If you already own a PS3/PS4 and a PS Vita, then there is indeed no point in buying this, since you have all the functionality, but not everyone can/wants to spend that money.
isnt the whole point of vita is that its portable? Is it cheaper than vita itself?
Is it an alternative to PS4? because from what i read here its actually using PS4 to stream games into it, which actually makes it less efficient than just playing on PS4.

Scrythe said:
Also, they're making it sound like your PS4 will be sitting there, doing nothing but streaming to a second device, so you couldn't have Person A playing a game on their PS4 and Person B on their Playstation TV with a separate experience. It would basically be the same streaming experience that Steam now has, where you are using two PCs for one game instead of just the one.

The future, ladies and gentleman.
erm, if you already are playing a game on PS4, the machine wont have joince to play anything else. the games cant generate enough FPS on it as it is. if its streaking a game to this box it will be busy doing that and nothing else. If you want a machine that can stream to multiple users at once PC is kinda the only one since that is the device that can have more power than required for single user and thne you can virtualbox it to how many users you wnat. And yes, current steam stream suffers same problem, due to how inputs work on Windows (multiple users cant work at same time unless your running a windows server)

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Strazdas said:
isnt the whole point of vita is that its portable? Is it cheaper than vita itself?
A PS Vita costs around 199$. This things will cost 99$ or 139$ for the bundle. So yeah, it is significantly cheaper, but the trade-off is no portability.
Is it an alternative to PS4? because from what i read here its actually using PS4 to stream games into it, which actually makes it less efficient than just playing on PS4.
Well no, it can't do PS4 games on its own, only through streaming from an actual PS4, so its not an alternative in that sense. But it will still give you access to a good chunk of the PS Vita library and, through PSN, the libraries of PS1 and PSP. Playstation Now will add PS3 games to that list once the the service is up on PS Vita (and thus this thing).

Of course, anyone who already has a PS Vita and PS3/PS4 will have no use for this thing, but those who don't can get in on a lot of Playstation action at an attractive price.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Chimpzy said:
Strazdas said:
A PS Vita costs around 199$. This things will cost 99$ or 139$ for the bundle. So yeah, it is significantly cheaper, but the trade-off is no portability.
Well no, it can't do PS4 games on its own, only through streaming from an actual PS4, so its not an alternative in that sense. But it will still give you access to a good chunk of the PS Vita library and, through PSN, the libraries of PS1 and PSP. Playstation Now will add PS3 games to that list once the the service is up on PS Vita (and thus this thing).

Of course, anyone who already has a PS Vita and PS3/PS4 will have no use for this thing, but those who don't can get in on a lot of Playstation action at an attractive price.
I wouldnt call backward compatibility (thought not real one at that even) for 99 dollars an attractive price, but i can see a point in this device now, thanks.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I need a new Dual Shock 3, anyway. I might get the bundle so I'd be spending $90 on a vita substitute to play FFXHD and other games until I care enough to actually get a vita. Still debating on bothering with the whole thing and just enjoy my 3DS and getting FFXHD for PS3.

I thought I read somewhere that this thing streamed from places like Netflix Hulu, etc. If so, what benefit would Amazon's Fire TV have over this? (Exclusive games? HAHAHAHA Seriously, though, there are enough set top streaming boxes on the market and Amazon didn't need to stick their fingers in the pie. The PS TV actually has a reason or two to exist, granted the PS4 streaming sounds dumb and is probably just a thrown in feature. Two cables are all you need to unplug to move the playstation around your house. I could understand not wanting to move you desktop PC but a console, no.)