Sony Releases New Trailer for Ratchet and Clank Movie, Announces PS4 "Reimagining" of First Game

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Sony Releases New Trailer for Ratchet and Clank Movie, Announces PS4 "Reimagining" of First Game

The new trailer gives the first good look at how Ratchet, Clank and Captain Qwark's adventures will look on the big screen.

Sony displayed a new trailer for the upcoming Ratchet and Clank movie during their E3 press conference, in addition to announcing a "reimagined" PS4 version of the first game in the series. The movie's new trailer can be seen above, and if you missed the original teaser trailer from last year you can check it out <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/movie-trailers/7173-Ratchet-and-Clank-Movie-Official-Trailer>here.

Not much information is available on the PS4 version of Ratchet and Clank, other than its existence and development. The movie, on the other hand, is due to come out in 2015.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/476190130634784768]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/e3-2014]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Color me interested. I didn't watch the conference, but I'm a die hard Ratchet and Clank fan and I'm interested to see how this goes. Plus, a reimagined first game? If it's by Insomniac then I'm down for it. There are few series that define my childhood, but the one that was alongside Pokemon in my childhood was Ratchet and Clank.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
This does look quite good. Somewhat skeptical on the "re-imagining" of the first game. But hey, it's too early to say anything right now.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
That brings back great PS2 memories. Never got a PS3 or PS4 so I've sadly never played the newer Ratchet and Clank titles.

nymz

Apr 1, 2010
I hope this reimagining isn't made just because they needed a game to sell alongside the movie. It should be because they want to make it, and only Insomniac should be the ones to do so.

I also hope they don't screw up the story too much. I don't remember him wanting to be some kind of galactic hero, at least not for the sake of being heroic (but rather for the fame if he was given the chance) . He met Clank, struck a deal to warn Qwark about impending doom if Clank stared his ship and then got backstabbed. He then wanted to get Qwark for the sake of revenge, he did not even care about the big bad Drek at first. It was personal, not heroic, he kinda grew into it and realized he could be a hero. Although it was a long time ago I played the original now.

But this movie seems to paint him as some kind of hero wannabe even before he met Clank. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But to me, growing into a hero is better character development than wanting to be heroic from the start.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Why has Sony been making Big Screen versions of it's cartoon series? There was the announcement about a Sly Cooper Film, now this?

These are pretty popular series, but not "extremely giant, known around the world by everyone" level of popular.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Why was there no shooting in this trailer? It's a movie about Ratchet and Clack, half the screen should be nothing but guns and explosions!

On a side note: The last Ratchet and Clank Game I played was Deadlocked years ago and I just finally got a PS4, are the newer games any good?

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
kajinking said:
Why was there no shooting in this trailer? It's a movie about Ratchet and Clack, half the screen should be nothing but guns and explosions!

On a side note: The last Ratchet and Clank Game I played was Deadlocked years ago and I just finally got a PS4, are the newer games any good?
the ps3 games are 100% worth playing with the exception, in my opinion, of All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault. but the main 3, Tools, Quest, and Crack in time..excellent in so many ways above the ps2 games =) Nexus was also rather good, if a bit shorter, but it still nontheless managed to add new gameplay mechanics in, so I'd say give it a go too if you get the chance.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
Why has Sony been making Big Screen versions of it's cartoon series? There was the announcement about a Sly Cooper Film, now this?

These are pretty popular series, but not "extremely giant, known around the world by everyone" level of popular.
I imagine that they're after more exposure so that more people around the world will get to know the characters and hopefully buy the games.

I wish Sony still had its hands on the Crash Bandicoot rights. Could you imagine a Crash Bandicoot movie like this?

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Reimagining?
What for?
Why not just continue the story?
We still need to find the other Lombaxes you know!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Arqus_Zed said:
No, no we don't. That shitty attempt at drama was the worst thing that ever entered this franchise.

OT: That movie still looks like mediocre bargain bin fodder, but the remake/reimagining of the first game... Now that I'm gonna be all over.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Arqus_Zed said:
No, no we don't. That shitty attempt at drama was the worst thing that ever entered this franchise.

OT: That movie still looks like mediocre bargain bin fodder, but the remake/reimagining of the first game... Now that I'm gonna be all over.
What drama? It was just happy that there was a plot device that kept all the the PS3-era R&C games connected.
Even though it kind of ignored the whole "Angela" thing...
Then again, Angela ended up getting ignored the first installment after her debut. "Who's Angela? I'm just hitting on the president's daughter. Who's the president's daughter? I'm just hitting on Hydro Girl." So yeah, it took Insomniac till the PS3-era of R&C games to finally introduce some consistency (Talwyn), so I want a proper conclusion!

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Arqus_Zed said:
Casual Shinji said:

What drama? It was just happy that there was a plot device that kept all the the PS3-era R&C games connected.
The whole 'Ratchet and Clank are both "THE CHOOSEN ONES"!' And Ratchet as a result being portrayed as this poor orphan. We never needed any of that. The universe was fun, goofy nonsense, there was no need for any continuity or overarching plot.

And as you said...

Then again, Angela ended up getting ignored the first installment after her debut. "Who's Angela? I'm just hitting on the president's daughter. Who's the president's daughter? I'm just hitting on Hydro Girl." So yeah, it took Insomniac till the PS3-era of R&C games to finally introduce some consistency (Talwyn), so I want a proper conclusion!
There were already three other Lombax or Lombax-like characters in these games, which they decided to forget for the sake of a lame destiny/choosen one plotline. Ugh. Nexus was a step in the right direction, with the story not being specifically about Ratchet or Clank, and where they're just the heroes who stop the bad guy.

Don't bring Pixar/Dreamworks sentimentality in my Ratchet and Clank. R&C3 had Qwark wedgie the villain to his death, and said villain turn into a robot just because he fell in a bunch of machinary. It was silly fun that never took itself serious, and it was great.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Arqus_Zed said:
Casual Shinji said:

The whole 'Ratchet and Clank are both "THE CHOOSEN ONES"!' And Ratchet as a result being portrayed as this poor orphan. We never needed any of that. The universe was fun, goofy nonsense, there was no need for any continuity or overarching plot.

And as you said...

There were already three other Lombax or Lombax-like characters in these games, which they decided to forget for the sake of a lame destiny/choosen one plotline. Ugh. Nexus was a step in the right direction, with the story not being specifically about Ratchet or Clank, and where they're just the heroes who stop the bad guy.

Don't bring Pixar/Dreamworks sentimentality in my Ratchet and Clank. R&C3 had Qwark wedgie the villain to his death, and said villain turn into a robot just because he fell in a bunch of machinary. It was silly fun that never took itself serious, and it was great.
...Uhm, one.
There was only one other lombax/lombax-like character in the original games.
(And to be fair, Angela got a mention in Crack In Time and the comics in order to explain her situation. I was more annoyed about the fact that Ratchet just keeps on meeting new female characters, seemingly building up to something, only for them to never be heard of again.)

As for the whole "Chosen Ones" thing, I can't bring myself to be too annoyed by that. Let me guess, your favorite Jak & Daxter game is the original, right? Innocent and fun, lots of greenery? I mean, Jak II did the whole "Chosen One" thing as well, even added some drama, but I still consider it the best of the series. Let's just say it's a difference in taste.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Arqus_Zed said:
...Uhm, one.
There was only one other lombax/lombax-like character in the original games.
(And to be fair, Angela got a mention in Crack In Time and the comics in order to explain her situation. I was more annoyed about the fact that Ratchet just keeps on meeting new female characters, seemingly building up to something, only for them to never be heard of again.)
There was Angela in 2, what's-her-name the president's daughter and the president in 3. Whether they were actual lombaxes (whatever the hell that even entails) they were lombax enough to be presented as love interests (except for the president obviously).

The fact is that Ratchet looks the way he looks purely for aesthetic reasons only. His small posture and big ears make him very distinct from every other character on screen, so you can instantly recognize him as the player character. It wasn't because he was the only one of his kind.

As for the whole "Chosen Ones" thing, I can't bring myself to be too annoyed by that. Let me guess, your favorite Jak & Daxter game is the original, right? Innocent and fun, lots of greenery? I mean, Jak II did the whole "Chosen One" thing as well, even added some drama, but I still consider it the best of the series. Let's just say it's a difference in taste.
Actually my favourite was 3, since it was the most playable of the bunch, but I'm not the biggest fan of that series. I will say that by the time Jak 2 rolled around the corner it did have the smell of grunge all over it just for he sake of appealing to teenagers.

And the PS3 R&C's had something similar, where it went from wacky toilet humor antics to "epic" sentimental storylines, likely to appeal to the more serious cinematic mindset of the 7th generation as well as the popularity of Pixar. It definitely felt more child friendly all of a sudden.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Going Commando was my favorite game. If this movie does well, I would love to see an adaptation of that game. Mr. Fizzwidget and Thugs-4-Less are a riot.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
scorptatious said:
Somewhat skeptical on the "re-imagining" of the first game.
Same here, you hear that and you think either they'll darken it or take what made the series good in the first place. But they have a good track record so it'll still be good I think.