Rats Regret Their Bad Decisions, Researchers Find

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Rats Regret Their Bad Decisions, Researchers Find

Researchers have found that rats feel regret when their actions lead them to miss out on better food options.

This is the first time that regret has been identified in a mammal other than a human being; it was previously believed that regret is an emotion that only humans experience.

The researchers, who published their findings in Nature Neuroscience [http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nn.3740.html], elicited regret in the rats by creating scenarios in which the rats had to decide whether to wait for a food reward or move onto another. Those rats that moved on and found that the next reward was worse demonstrated regretful behavior by pausing and looking back at the reward they had passed over.

"It's like waiting in line at the restaurant," said the research team's Prof David Redish. "If the line is too long at the Chinese restaurant, then you give up and go to the Indian restaurant across the street."

The regretful rats also modified their future decisions and were more likely to wait for a "good" reward.

"In humans, a part of the brain called the orbitofrontal cortex is active during regret. We found that in rats recognizing that they made a mistake, their orbitofrontal cortex represented the missed opportunity," Prof Redish said. He believes that his team's research can lead to a better understanding of how regret affects the decisions humans make.

Regrets? I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention.

Source: BBC Nature News [http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/27716493]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/e3-2014]

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
No surprise here. Any pet owner that actually pays attention to their animals will know that emotions like regret are something they experience. Humanity really thinks that we are great because we are so smart, which we are, but it's folly to assume that we stand alone on this planet with the emotions we carry.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
This is actually something I asked myself recently. Good to know that an answer exists ^^

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
It's funny to note that rats are also altruistic[footnote]http://www.nature.com/news/rats-free-each-other-from-cages-1.9603[/footnote] towards one another, and I believe one study even showed that they will help one another even if that means the reward they receive is reduced - because they then share it. They don't have to share it, or help their fellow rat, but they consistently do.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
that is interesting. For the most part I really don't give much though on how other animal think but them feel regret makes sense.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Or the rats could just, you know, be looking back at the other food because they...want more food. :p

Seriously though, I've seen way too many shows on Discovery Channel to not know that animals have emotions. Herd animals often mourn the loss of their fallen kin and comrades, with elephants and buffalo and such often lingering around the corpses of their kind that have been killed by predators.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Kerethos said:
It's funny to note that rats are also altruistic[footnote]http://www.nature.com/news/rats-free-each-other-from-cages-1.9603[/footnote] towards one another, and I believe one study even showed that they will help one another even if that means the reward they receive is reduced - because they then share it. They don't have to share it, or help their fellow rat, but they consistently do.
I keep pet rats. Watching how caring they can be with each other is always heart-melting. When one of my does became too ill to take care of herself, her sister fetched her food and groomed her.

On the other hand, having watched the video in the linked article, I find the article itself a little misleading. Rats (especially young rats) love poking, prodding, chewing and otherwise messing with things, and they especially love playing with other rats.

The "helper" rat in the video doesn't look (to me) like it's concerned for the other rat's welfare. It just looks like a rat that has been placed in a very boring cage and so keeps prodding the one "toy" it has available (the tube with the other rat inside) until it accidentally opens the door. Opening the door rewards the helper rat by giving it a playmate. Having been rewarded like this once, it's more likely to repeat the behaviour.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
I don't think watching somethings behavior on the outside is any kind of proof that it has thoughts.

Monkeys grin their teeth in a big smile, to show hostility. Likewise, if you smile back at a monkey, it will likely fly into a murderous rage.

We can put our emotional values on animals all we want, but for all we know they could be thinking of eating our face off while we think they look adorable.

This is a case where I have to say: don't believe its true or factual just because a 'scientist' said it. Educate yourself and form your own opinions. Don't just believe in science as some all powerful thing. That makes it into a religion.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
michael87cn said:
I don't think watching somethings behavior on the outside is any kind of proof that it has thoughts.

Monkeys grin their teeth in a big smile, to show hostility. Likewise, if you smile back at a monkey, it will likely fly into a murderous rage.

We can put our emotional values on animals all we want, but for all we know they could be thinking of eating our face off while we think they look adorable.

This is a case where I have to say: don't believe its true or factual just because a 'scientist' said it. Educate yourself and form your own opinions. Don't just believe in science as some all powerful thing. That makes it into a religion.
Being science all it can really tell you for certain is that something will continuously react in a predictable way.

What this seems to prove is that rats show behavior that look like regret, just as the study I linked to showed that rats appear willing to help one another, and following studies showed they'd still react the same in other circumstances. Neither one concludes the exact mechanics behind said action, but they both show rats engage in interesting behavior we'd normally equate to higher brain functions.

And if a "simple" rat predictably shows such behavior that in turn makes it worth to reexamine how our own species decides upon similar actions, given that the behavior appears more based on instinct than previously though.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
If animals did not have regret, the ability to weigh values of risk VS reward, and any learning capability at all, we would not have domesticated anything. Wolves would still be as feral as ever. Cats would be...even MORE independent than they already are. Fish, uhhh...

...nevermind.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
The first thing I thought when I saw Rat and Regret was a Rat saying "Oh fuck fuck fuck SHIT that thing had poison! I know it had poison, WHY DID I EAT THAT?!"

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Signa said:
No surprise here. Any pet owner that actually pays attention to their animals will know that emotions like regret are something they experience. Humanity really thinks that we are great because we are so smart, which we are, but it's folly to assume that we stand alone on this planet with the emotions we carry.
I second this, anyone with any sense or pays attention to their pets knows that their sentient creatures with emotions etc just like us humans, just because they don't speak English doesn't mean their not intelligent. My dog can attest to that, smart bugga he is.

Funyahns

Sep 2, 2012
Yeah it is not that surprising. The real issue is separating making a mistake and feeling bad with cognitive thought leading to feeling bad.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
michael87cn said:

well, if you want to learn something it pays to read the article. the article mentions that it is more than outside observation that was done, but also the activity in the rats brain that coincides with activity in human brain.during regret.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I've had pet rats. And friends have ahd other sort of pets... this is something you can see by just observing animals.
For example, my pet rat biting me, noticing it hurt, came back to me after I stopped screaming and starting licking the wound (no blood at that point anymore). And other pets do this.
Also good examples named above, for example the elephant death thing.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Signa said:
Actually, people with pets project their own emotions on their pets. Which is no surprise, given that they have an emotional connection with them. Which makes any statement people make about their pets inherentely unreliable. Sorry, but pets aren't intelligent just because you think yours is.

The rat's behaviour is dubbed 'regret', because it is analogous with human behaviour fueled by that emotion. That does not mean it's the exact same emotion that drives the rat's behaviour. We do not know if the rat actually 'feels' regretful.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Nimcha said:
Signa said:
Actually, people with pets project their own emotions on their pets. Which is no surprise, given that they have an emotional connection with them. Which makes any statement people make about their pets inherentely unreliable. Sorry, but pets aren't intelligent just because you think yours is.

The rat's behaviour is dubbed 'regret', because it is analogous with human behaviour fueled by that emotion. That does not mean it's the exact same emotion that drives the rat's behaviour. We do not know if the rat actually 'feels' regretful.
Someone isn't paying attention to their pet...

Seriously, my dog would tell me when I got home from work if she had gone for a car ride. There was a different tone in the way she barked when she was super happy about something. Of course I didn't know she had been on a ride, but I asked my mom if she had anything special happen that day, and she said no. I then said that she was barking like she had been on a ride, and that's when my mom remembered that, in fact, the dog had been out for a car ride. She was telling me about it dude, and you're not convincing me that was me projecting a good mood on her.