Splatoon is a Family Friendly Shooter for WiiU

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Splatoon is a Family Friendly Shooter for WiiU

Splatoon looks absolutely ridiculous and childish and I desperately want to play it.

Read Full Article

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Hm, am I missing something or has no one noticed that this is a new first-party IP by Nintendo? Because that's pretty big. Unless I'm missing an important piece of information there.

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
Johny_X2 said:
Hm, am I missing something or has no one noticed that this is a new first-party IP by Nintendo? Because that's pretty big. Unless I'm missing an important piece of information there.
I'm quite surprised that most of the gaming sites are taking their time to upload the news of the game announcement. Glad to see this info uploaded here now, I've been watching gameplay of Splatoon on Nintendo Treehouses's livestream and it looks a ton of fun. I'm am a little worried that so far, nothing has been said of a single player campaign, but I'm sure there will be one revealed later on.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Finally a game that caters to my strength: plastering everything in gooey fluid then swimming around in it.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Sould1n said:
Johny_X2 said:
I'm quite surprised that most of the gaming sites are taking their time to upload the news of the game announcement. Glad to see this info uploaded here now, I've been watching gameplay of Splatoon on Nintendo Treehouses's livestream and it looks a ton of fun. I'm am a little worried that so far, nothing has been said of a single player campaign, but I'm sure there will be one revealed later on.
I'm pretty sure it'll have a lot more content in it's final release seeing as the matches started with the game-mode in the stream. Imagine Capture the Flag but you can only move the flag on your ink, stuff like that.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Dexterity said:
Johny_X2 said:
It's probably being brushed off by a lot of people as a piece of shovelware.

Or it might just have Wonderful 101 syndrome where it's a new IP and an amazing Wii U game that people just blank out before asking for new IPs and more Wii U games.
Which is a shame because I thought it was one of the more exciting things in that event. And it looks lovely. I would genuinely love to play it.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
That game looks pretty interresting, I would definitly be down for a nice shooter on my wii u that isn´t COD.

Dec 14, 2009
I'm actually interested in this more than any other game on show.

It looks to be a fresh take on the TPS genre, and it's pretty as all hell. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Sould1n said:
Johny_X2 said:
Yeah, we were a little overwhelmed trying to cover everything. This came up while I was writing up another post but I was listening and had to tab over to see what it was they were talking about. I really like what I saw and wrote it up as soon as I got the "important" stuff out of the way. In fact, there was a whole extra paragraph in there that was just hype, but I realized I should cut it before I posted.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I'll admit I was rolling my eyes at the whole turning into a squid thing, but looking back at how the game played I was intrigued. The idea of keeping as much of the field covered in your ink to not only win the game but to make navigation easier is a nice twist. I would love to see what kind of pro strategies come up with moving around in the ink. I bet some people will pull crazy maneuvers like popping in and out of hiding quickly or leaping over an opponents head as a squid only to switch back to human before landing and blasting the fool in the buttocks. I just hope that aiming up and down isn't permanently bound to the Gamepad's gyroscope otherwise my arms would get tired trying move around frantically to aim.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
T-Shirt Turtle said:
I'll admit I was rolling my eyes at the whole turning into a squid thing, but looking back at how the game played I was intrigued. The idea of keeping as much of the field covered in your ink to not only win the game but to make navigation easier is a nice twist. I would love to see what kind of pro strategies come up with moving around in the ink. I bet some people will pull crazy maneuvers like popping in and out of hiding quickly or leaping over an opponents head as a squid only to switch back to human before landing and blasting the fool in the buttocks. I just hope that aiming up and down isn't permanently bound to the Gamepad's gyroscope otherwise my arms would get tired trying move around frantically to aim.
I think it can be customized if the Fact Sheet is anything to go by:

http://nintendoeverything.com/fact-sheets-for-nintendos-e3-2014-games-lots-of-details/?pid=61370&pageid=162710

A shooter like this is why we NEED Nintendo.

Jimalcoatl

Jun 21, 2010
Watching the Nintendo livestream this was probably the biggest surprise for me. I really like the idea behind this game and I hope it gets marketed well and helps move Wii U consoles. I just wish I enjoyed competitive multiplayer or that the game has a single player campaign.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
if there's ammo limitations, it'll be a balancing act between covering the field so that assholes stop shooting you in the back, and having enough ammunition to take somebody down instead of having to run away and risk getting cut off by cover fire (heh, cover fire)

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
weirdee said:
if there's ammo limitations, it'll be a balancing act between covering the field so that assholes stop shooting you in the back, and having enough ammunition to take somebody down instead of having to run away and risk getting cut off by cover fire (heh, cover fire)
You regain ink by swimming in it in squid form. You can see in the gameplay footage that a meter appears whenever the player changes into a squid. It really adds more incentive to keep as much of the field in your teams control as possible.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Sould1n said:
I'm am a little worried that so far, nothing has been said of a single player campaign, but I'm sure there will be one revealed later on.
If I remember correctly I believe they said in the Direct that this game is going to primarily be a multiplayer online experience. I heard absolutely nothing about single player.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
weirdee said:
If you looked carefully, character have a tube on their back to store ink, which recharged when you dive into ink.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Dexterity said:
Johny_X2 said:
Dexterity said:
Johny_X2 said:
It's probably being brushed off by a lot of people as a piece of shovelware.

Or it might just have Wonderful 101 syndrome where it's a new IP and an amazing Wii U game that people just blank out before asking for new IPs and more Wii U games.
Which is a shame because I thought it was one of the more exciting things in that event. And it looks lovely. I would genuinely love to play it.
It'll most likely get played, but Nintendo NEED to remember to advertise this game.

It's just a case of new IPs not generally getting noticed when put next to existing IPs.
I think that marketing is an issue here. Nintendo failed to kick up a fuss about the game. They only went 'by the way, here's another game we're working on' instead of 'holy shit everyone look, we're making a new IP for the first time in like a bajillion years, isn't that exciting? look! look! it's squid people doing fun shit! LOOOOOK! Are you excited yet?'. They really should have made a bigger deal out of the announcement. This way it's going to fade into obscurity really fast. Which is a shame because that game looks fucking awesome.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It's a interesting concept (remind me of De Blob), too bad the artstyle doesn't appeal to me that much (abit too cartoony). No I ain't asking for a COD or grey gritty artsytle, just somewhere immature but it's still apealling.