Hyrule Warriors - More Fun Than It Looks - Hands On

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Hyrule Warriors - More Fun Than It Looks - Hands On

Princess Zelda wielding a rapier, tossing bombs at Dodongo.

Read Full Article

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
It looks pretty fucking fun already so its actually even more fun than that?

gasm

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
I hope Sterling will review this game for The Escapist. I mean, I'm a Civ fan, so I will trust Tito completely when it comes to his review on Beyond Earth, but I'm also a fan of Dynasty Warriors, and, I'm sorry Tito, but I don't trust your judgement on a hack-and-slash. It still looks lovely and it's looking more and more that this is the year I buy my first next-gen console.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I do find it funny how Link is currently outnumbered 3 to 1 on the gender ratio for the game. So far all the character look unique with Zelda, Link, Midna, and Impa having their own styles going on. I do wonder about what types of other weapons they'll get since Link gets to use the Fire Rod in addition to a sword and shield set.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Steve Waltz said:
I hope Sterling will review this game for The Escapist. I mean, I'm a Civ fan, so I will trust Tito completely when it comes to his review on Beyond Earth, but I'm also a fan of Dynasty Warriors, and, I'm sorry Tito, but I don't trust your judgement on a hack-and-slash. It still looks lovely and it's looking more and more that this is the year I buy my first next-gen console.
Unless Tito is very unfamiliar with hack-and-slash, I doubt that Jim Sterling would have a different review. I bet he'll be like Bob reviewing Super Mario 3D World: objective and fully aware that most people aren't nearly as big of a fan as he is.

Speaking of that Mario game, it convinced me to get a Wii U, along with some discounts on Best Buy and Hyrule Warriors and NES Remix looking promising.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'm excited for this and I never get excited for games anymore so that's saying something. I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game, but this looks like fun.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Xman490 said:
Steve Waltz said:
Unless Tito is very unfamiliar with hack-and-slash, I doubt that Jim Sterling would have a different review. I bet he'll be like Bob reviewing Super Mario 3D World: objective and fully aware that most people aren't nearly as big of a fan as he is.
Ah, you're right! I went back to the article and he says that he didn't understand the concept of the conversion of Zelda and a hack-n-slash. I misread it as that he didn't understand the concept of a hack-n-slash, in general. I wouldn't trust the review of someone that didn't understand hack-n-slashes to review one, but if the reviewer is familiar with the genre then I have no problem trusting his review on one.

All reviews can be considered objective, though. There was that negative review on Sonic All Stars Racing: Transformed on Kotaku just because the reviewer didn't like cart racing games and found it too difficult? That was the moment I found not to trust reviewers of games I'm interested in unless they're fans of the genre. I mean, seriously, Yahtzee hates dungeon crawlers -- Did any fans of Diablo 2 actually think about his negative review when considering buying the third installment? He also hates RTSs, would any fans of RTSs trust his reviews on one? I mean, as a fan of a genre, I wouldn't trust anyone else's review of the a game unless they were also a fan of the genre.

Still, it's all moot, because as you pointed out, I misread the first sentence in the article and it screwed up my view on the article.

However, doesn't everyone knows Sterling is a fan of Dynasty Warriors? He throws up the fact every chance he gets (not saying it's a bad thing).

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Aiddon said:
I do find it funny how Link is currently outnumbered 3 to 1 on the gender ratio for the game. So far all the character look unique with Zelda, Link, Midna, and Impa having their own styles going on. I do wonder about what types of other weapons they'll get since Link gets to use the Fire Rod in addition to a sword and shield set.
My guess is that every character will be able to use every weapon, or at least every secondary weapon. You know bombs, the fire rod, hook shot and what ever else they add in.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Steve Waltz said:
Xman490 said:
Steve Waltz said:
Ah, you're right! I went back to the article and he says that he didn't understand the concept of the conversion of Zelda and a hack-n-slash. I misread it as that he didn't understand the concept of a hack-n-slash, in general. I wouldn't trust the review of someone that didn't understand hack-n-slashes to review one, but if the reviewer is familiar with the genre then I have no problem trusting his review on one.

All reviews can be considered objective, though. There was that negative review on Sonic All Stars Racing: Transformed on Kotaku just because the reviewer didn't like cart racing games and found it too difficult? That was the moment I found not to trust reviewers of games I'm interested in unless they're fans of the genre. I mean, seriously, Yahtzee hates dungeon crawlers -- Did any fans of Diablo 2 actually think about his negative review when considering buying the third installment? He also hates RTSs, would any fans of RTSs trust his reviews on one? I mean, as a fan of a genre, I wouldn't trust anyone else's review of the a game unless they were also a fan of the genre.

Still, it's all moot, because as you pointed out, I misread the first sentence in the article and it screwed up my view on the article.

However, doesn't everyone knows Sterling is a fan of Dynasty Warriors? He throws up the fact every chance he gets (not saying it's a bad thing).
I've found that that the secret to using game reviews to advise purchases is to find a handful of reviewers from different sites that have similar tastes to me in games and listen only to them. That way, if someone is hyper-objective about a game series because they're a fan (like Jim Sterling is with Dynasty Warriors) the review will still matter to me because we like the same things.

Basically, objectivity in a game review isn't inherently bad, as long as they're like Jim and cue people in on it near the beginning.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I am going to kill sooooooo many things with Midna, fucken love Midna.

captia: now I'm seeing ads for cigarettes? What the fuck escapist?

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Yay twilight princess art style :D. I wish they used that art style for the newer zelda games.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Although I remain sceptical, I'm interested to see if the musou formula gets improved, and indeed how.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
prpshrt said:
Yay twilight princess art style :D. I wish they used that art style for the newer zelda games.
Only more colorful instead of blackness right? Then again, it might've fitted the theme of TP better to go for that style.

Still, nintendo is making me want a Wii U right now with what they've got.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
More fun than it looks?

Geez, this game must be the second coming of christ.. And he brought a party!

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I love Tecmo-Koei. There was a slight bit of trepidation that the game would only have link, but I generally knew better than that as Koei games makes casts as large as possible, using a ton of people from the lore of the world.
"But-but, that character never fought!!!" Koei don't care! They'll interpret them into fighters, and give us some diversity in the cast! I look forward to Zelda looking in a chest, then dada DA DAAAAHH! CAN OF WHOOPASS!!! XD

From the sounds of it, it'll have some core elements from Warriors games (Largely racking up body counts in the thousands while applying strategy as necessary) and Zeldas with some challenges, and puzzles. Overall, 'm pretty hyped. Playing as Zelda in a game generally revolving around her legend (though several LoZ lacked Zelda entirely) will feel mighty sweet.