Elite: Dangerous - Oculus Support Puts You in Infinity

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Elite: Dangerous - Oculus Support Puts You in Infinity

The other space combat sim brings you to a hundred gazillion stars in style.

Read Full Article

John Virgo

Mar 29, 2011
Thank you for the awesome review, and thanks so much for the nomination.
I am glad you enjoyed my demo skills, it was great to meet you too.

If you like you can watch the community live stream for new features every week here:
Http://twitch.tv/kerrashlanding

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Elite came out on the BBC B computer all over the United Kingdom in 1984. The new elite is the only kickstarter that I have actually backed on the grounds of extreme nostalgia. I even pulled my BBC B out the cupboard and played Elite again, and after 30 years the gameplay still stands up. If the new Elite is in the spirit of the old one then it should be a great game.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
His hopes that the bounty system will discourage pointless open combat between players is a bit misplaced, as multiplayer space game veteran thats played everything from Freespace 2, Starlancer, Freelancer, Earth Above and Beyond, Jumpgate, EVE Online and just about everything else I know that is a vain hope.

For some people they just love the thrill and challenge of fighting other players, being able to get kills and then rack up a bounty which will provoke even more fights and more kills is irresistible. I have seen it often and even done it myself, if he wants to discourage random PvP he needs other mechanics in place. Making unlawful players have a hard time in civilised systems for example, making it so governments or authorities would restrict the supply of weapons, ammunition and supplies or even deny them docking rights for a period of time with a cool down.

That way the people out for fights would naturally gravitate away from the more civilised and developed worlds giving other players some breathing room.

He needs to consider more mechanics that a simple bounty which isn't a deterrent its an incentive otherwise his team may have to respond with ban hammers.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
If I wanted multiplayer Elite, I'd start playing Eve again. That would be the Eve in which being instantly killed and becoming a target for all other players in the game isn't enough to stop everyone from randomly killing each other just for the hell of it. That said, if there really are 300 billion systems, maybe it won't be too hard to just pretend it's a single player game anyway.

The other big concern is just how incredibly bad its history has been. It's actually worse than Duke Nukem Forever's development. It's been in development for at least 14 years now, it's been an MMO or not, it's been dropped and picked back up again repeatedly, it's been based on technology from another game (The Outsider) that is also vapourware, and particularly importantly was also a David Braben project. Then suddenly Star Citizen does well at raising funds and up pops Elite 4 once again. So we have a developer who has repeatedly failed to actually deliver games, and who has been sued in the past for exactly that, advertising exactly the same vapourware he's been promising for well over a decade. It's possible there will be a good game at the end of all this, but it would be incredibly... optimistic to actually pay anything before you've seen the final product.

Christian Kingston

Apr 7, 2011
Kahani said:
If I wanted multiplayer Elite, I'd start playing Eve again. That would be the Eve in which being instantly killed and becoming a target for all other players in the game isn't enough to stop everyone from randomly killing each other just for the hell of it. That said, if there really are 300 billion systems, maybe it won't be too hard to just pretend it's a single player game anyway.

The other big concern is just how incredibly bad its history has been. It's actually worse than Duke Nukem Forever's development. It's been in development for at least 14 years now, it's been an MMO or not, it's been dropped and picked back up again repeatedly, it's been based on technology from another game (The Outsider) that is also vapourware, and particularly importantly was also a David Braben project. Then suddenly Star Citizen does well at raising funds and up pops Elite 4 once again. So we have a developer who has repeatedly failed to actually deliver games, and who has been sued in the past for exactly that, advertising exactly the same vapourware he's been promising for well over a decade. It's possible there will be a good game at the end of all this, but it would be incredibly... optimistic to actually pay anything before you've seen the final product.
It's be suggested by the developer that the plan is that extremely anti social players will be placed in their own group and will only ever be able to play with players in the game group. That way they will just grief each other to death ;)

There is a different between griefing and pirating though, you can play a pirate as a legit role.

Alternatively there are multiple options on how to play the game, every one is catered for -
Single player offline, singe player online (play this if you want single player unless you've no connection), Multiplayer against everyone, multiplayer in private groups, multiplayer with filters on certain types of play style and for the sadists a seperate Iron man universe where death is death.

You'll find me in the multiplayer all group with the manly men ;)

Playing the Beta right now so hard to say it's vapourware.

Cracking game, don't be a hipster hater, there's a reason this is an Escapist's best of E3 ;)

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Can the PvP aspect be disabled? Because I love the look the game, and have been waiting for something like this for a LONG time. But if its forced PVP and having to deal with griefers I've got very very little incentive to try it out. I'm an average PVP'r to begin with, and with how servers are rarely ever in Australia, having to deal with 200ms+ pings further kills my interest in PvP.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I didn't back this game because the developer's history and the lackluster(particularly in comparison to Star Citizen) Kickstarter presentation didn't leave me with confidence that anything of worth would result from it.

I don't mind being wrong.

Shinkicker444 said:
Can the PvP aspect be disabled? Because I love the look the game, and have been waiting for something like this for a LONG time. But if its forced PVP and having to deal with griefers I've got very very little incentive to try it out. I'm an average PVP'r to begin with, and with how servers are rarely ever in Australia, having to deal with 200ms+ pings further kills my interest in PvP.
Look at the post above yours.