D&D 5th Edition Digital Toolset "Morningstar" Revealed

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
D&D 5th Edition Digital Toolset "Morningstar" Revealed

Wizards of the Coast has announced an upcoming integrated digital ruleset and database for Dungeons & Dragons.

Presently known as Codename: Morningstar, the toolset is being developed by Trapdoor Technologies and promises to also offer a customizable character sheet, adventure management, party communications between players, as well as options for online or offline play. Further, all the latest D&D adventures and content will be available to download as they are released, simultaneously with the physical versions.

Morningstar's website [http://www.codenamemorningstar.com/] doesn't offer much more insight, but datamining the source code has revealed a countdown timer and a percentage progress bar, suggesting more information is to come soon. Also found were references to adventure session data, maps, die rolls, encounters, creatures, animations, death saves, initiative counters, adventure and library "presenters," a full-on wiki, and more, which serves as a nice teaser for what to expect.

While details are presently scant, the tools will have a limited playtest at Origins Game Fair, which takes place this week, June 11-15.

Trapdoor Technologies previously developed apps for the e-book industry across multiple mobile devices and owns its own publishing imprint, Trapdoor Books.

What would you like to see in a digital toolset and game aid?

Source: Wizards [http://rpg.brainclouds.net/]

Nepukadnezzar

Mar 19, 2013
YES !!
I'm basically GMing everything digitally (was that english now?)
That would make it a lot easier.

I am also interested in what Adventure Management exactly means....

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Really excited for this, should make things a lot easier particularly in character gen.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Nepukadnezzar said:
YES !!
I'm basically GMing everything digitally (was that english now?)
That would make it a lot easier.

I am also interested in what Adventure Management exactly means....
Fasckira said:
Really excited for this, should make things a lot easier particularly in character gen.
Did either of you ever tried using their 4th edition monster compendium or character generator? Both were pretty decent pieces of software to begin with, but were immensely poorly optimized to the point that it took a minute or more to load even on good computers. Furthermore: they stopped updating them halfway through 4th edition, making them much less usable later on.

EDIT:

No, this isn't fair of me. Their 4th online software stuff got shafted because of a programmer murder/suicide. If they deliver what they promised last time, it'll be awesome.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Alleged_Alec said:
Aye, the 4th software stuff had real potential but I found that if you were running a fairly vanilla experience it was quite serviceable. With 5th though they really seem to have their act together so far, proof will be in the pudding though!

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Alleged_Alec said:
Yeah... Let's hope this goes better than DDI did for 4th edition.
QFTFT. Seriously, the amount of vaporware and broken promises surrounding the release of 4th edition was utterly staggering. We were promised a complete virtual tabletop with dungeon-building tools. We got a medeocre, sluggish character creator.

Nepukadnezzar

Mar 19, 2013
Alleged_Alec said:
Nope, because I personally still play in 3.5

BUT ... if the 5th Edition looks as promising as the 4th (I actually liked the ideas, but I disliked changing the system during a running session) I would even consider forcing my players to reroll their characters....

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
They're gonna need to pull a coup to get people interested in this after the failure that was 4E's digital tools. But who knows, I'm not a fortune-teller. We'll wait and see what they've got up their sleeves: hopefully it isn't a joker.

ConanThe3rd

Jul 3, 2012
scotth266 said:
They're gonna need to pull a coup to get people interested in this after the failure that was 4E's digital tools. But who knows, I'm not a fortune-teller. We'll wait and see what they've got up their sleeves: hopefully it isn't a joker.
Knowing how 4th's e-content went, we'll wish it was.