Fox Taps Game of Thrones Writer For Magic The Gathering Movie

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Fox Taps Game of Thrones Writer For Magic The Gathering Movie

This was probably innevitable

Oh, don't act so surprised.

Last year 20th Century Fox grabbed up the movie rights to Magic: The Gathering with eyes on turning it into a theatrical franchise a la Lord of The Rings or the upcoming WarCraft. Now they've hired Bryan Cogman, a producer and story editor for HBO's Game of Thrones, to draft a screenplay for the inaugural installment.

The film will be produced by Simon Kinberg, Brian Goldner and Steve Davis. As this is the first official movement on the product since Fox secured the rights, no casting, director or story details are yet available. Kinberg is best known as the writer/producer of the three most recent X-Men movies, and also scripted Disney's upcoming live-action Cinderella for Kenneth Branagh and Josh Trank's Fantastic Four reboot.

Created in 1993, MTG is one of the most popular trading-card games of all time. Its storyline involves a Multiverse of individual worlds traversed by powerful beings called Planeswalkers, who combat one another using spells and summoned creatures powered by lands of varying geographic type under a Planeswalker's control. The game features a detailed cosmology and mythos, which is expanded upon by officially licensed novels and comics.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/game-of-thrones-scribe-bryan-cogman-takes-on-magic-the-gathering-for-fox/]

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
Ok then?

No seriously, that's all that can really be said about this, everything else is just padding. Also, no I will act surprised because I am both surprised and confused.

Symbio Joe

Dec 7, 2010
Well there is only one thing you can look forward to: Glorious trainwreck cgi or glorious glorious cgi.

Rag Doll

Aug 16, 2008
I love the MTG-lore! It doesn't sound like it's being handeled by people who know what it is. I'm a little bit sad...

Hiname

Songstress of Ar Ciel
Mar 23, 2011
A planewalker movie? Eh, que Jace being an insufferable jerk with a god-complex trolling the other walkers with little to no context whatsoever. Just because that's what blue does.

Come back when we're talking about Akroma or the Kamigawa cycle.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Hiname said:
A planewalker movie? Eh, que Jace being an insufferable jerk with a god-complex trolling the other walkers with little to no context whatsoever. Just because that's what blue does.

Come back when we're talking about Akroma or the Kamigawa cycle.
Eh, Jace has done a lot of growing up in recent years. XD Now Ral Zarek... there's a troll.

Honestly, I don't know how I feel about the news, though... While Game of Thrones has some high quality writing behind it... most of the truly great stuff is just adapted from the books. When the GoT writers create something that's fully filler and unique to the show, we suddenly lose our nuanced, morally grey characters in favor of cartoon villains drinking wine from skulls, and exposition whores.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
There's a lot of awesome lore in MtG. Too much, perhaps. (I still want to know what happened to Garruk after Odric found him. Did Avacyn cure him of his curse?) Unless I'm wrong, the Eldrazi are still floating around somewhere.

But for some reason, I think Fox would end up butchering it somehow.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
A Ravnica conspiracy theory thriller would be cool, but we all know fantasy universes can never be used for anything other than war-jerking.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
Hiname said:
it's certainly what i do. play to annoy. 8P

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Mahorfeus said:
There's a lot of awesome lore in MtG. Too much, perhaps. (I still want to know what happened to Garruk after Odric found him. Did Avacyn cure him of his curse?) Unless I'm wrong, the Eldrazi are still floating around somewhere.

Eldrazi are still causing problems, but we haven't seen them off of Zendikar.

Garruk is.... Not well. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-M0Z8hwwqk]

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
Mahorfeus said:

Garruk's story is going to be continued in the M15 set, it looks like he still is cursed so it should be interesting.

OT: There is so much to work with, they could go for the post Planar chaos Loweryn 5 walkers or they could do one of the stories told before then, Urza's maybe but that might be a bit old for a lot of people.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Since this movie is not about urza or the weatherlight I don't care. In all honestly mtg lore went from copying classical hero's journey tales to fantasy cutting room floor stuff.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Who's writing, helming, what set will it represent, who are they casting, how much cgi they going to use, are they keeping out the cameos? Fuck it. It'll be a mess. I'll just go watch John Carter again with captions renaming things, that'll make more sense than Fox produce. I'll be under my blanket, sucking my thumb, waiting for the world to turn to shit once more.

crepesack said:
Since this movie is not about urza or the weatherlight I don't care. In all honestly mtg lore went from copying classical hero's journey tales to fantasy cutting room floor stuff.
If by classical you mean ancient - Gilgameshian - and the central story revolving around a Utnapishtim-ian character.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
freaper said:
A Ravnica conspiracy theory thriller would be cool, but we all know fantasy universes can never be used for anything other than war-jerking.
Pretty much this. And for that reason, I suspect Eldrazi will be featured. Because that's the easiest way to do it. :V

Leonbelmont64

Jun 7, 2010
I didn't even know there was lore behind mtg.. I just normally play black, or black/red I wonder for those lore people out there. Any interesting things go on with Liliana Vess or Sorin Markov as those are the only 2 plainswalkers I use.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
What are we supposed to not be surprised about? I mean, the movie was mentioned before, so of course we won't act surprised. We knew Fox was doing it, so that's no surprise. The story editor for Game of Thrones? Is that where we're supposed to be acting surprised? Because I legit didn't see that coming. Hell, his wiipedia entry notes him only for writing a few episodes of GoT and for being popular in the blogosphere. Yes, it used that word.

Leonbelmont64 said:
I didn't even know there was lore behind mtg.. I just normally play black, or black/red I wonder for those lore people out there. Any interesting things go on with Liliana Vess or Sorin Markov as those are the only 2 plainswalkers I use.
I would think you'd pick up the presence of lore simply by owning and using the cards.

MinionJoe said:
Er, George RR Martin wrote Game of Thrones. He's the writer of Game of Thrones.

Bryan Cogman is a producer and story editor. His job is completely different than that of a writer.
Wikipedia lists him as writer on five episodes. I don't know for sure that's true, but if it is, it's close enough to make this technically accurate.

Alexei F. Karamazov

Feb 22, 2014
There's potential for this to be good. Sadly, I have serious doubts that it will be anything more than a cash grab, some big Lord of the Rings knock-off with big two-armies-charging-at-each-other fights and the obligatory CGI-moneymaker spell slinging scenes. Don't get me wrong, those are great, but it should not at all be what carries the film. Lord of the Rings had those scenes, but was also a very compelling movie with great story, music, visuals, choreography, lore, and the fan base to back it up. So while this MTG movie may pull that off well (and I hope it does), I can't help but feel like it won't.