Everybody's Gone to the Rapture Tells Stories Only a Game Can Tell

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture Tells Stories Only a Game Can Tell

The Chinese Room uses the medium of video games for its ability to tell stories that simply can't be conveyed through other means.

Read Full Article

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
Can this be it? Can this be one of the first good religious games?

Hopefully it is. It does not look like they are making the mistake of having a message up in your face(other then the rapture happening that is).

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Finally, a game from E3 that has actually made me go, "Oh, what's that?" in interest. I shall keep my eyes open for this. It sounds like my kind of game and it's nice to take a break from all the running and gunning sometimes.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
epicdwarf said:
Can this be it? Can this be one of the first good religious games?

Hopefully it is. It does not look like they are making the mistake of having a message up in your face(other then the rapture happening that is).
You know, despite "Rapture" in the name, I didn't get a religious feeling from this game at all, though now that you mention it, I'm really curious to see exactly what kind of undertones might exist. Though, from the limited demo I saw, it does seem that if you start hearing a message you don't care to listen to, you'll have the power to simply walk away, which I can definitely appreciate.

Sniper Team 4 said:
Finally, a game from E3 that has actually made me go, "Oh, what's that?" in interest. I shall keep my eyes open for this. It sounds like my kind of game and it's nice to take a break from all the running and gunning sometimes.
I'm in kind of the same boat, actually. I wasn't all that impressed overall, though I did see at least a handful of titles which I'm fairly excited about now. Rapture, however, was possibly the most impressive looking game that was wholly novel.

I loved Reaper of Souls on PS4. I loved Duels 2015. Borderlands and Civ were both fantastic. But none of those are anything new. Rapture was gorgeous, atmospheric, intriguing, and seemingly nothing I've really seen before.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Am I really going to be the first to make this joke?
FINE!
*Ahem*

Oh hey look, a prequel to Bioshock! Can't wait to see more Andrew Ryan!

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Dear Esther 2: Dear Estherer.

It's a game where you walk and look at stuff. As opposed to every other game where you actually get to do stuff with the stuff that you see. At least most of the time. Oh and now there's a shiny thing to chase that does something.

Call of duty puts more effort into it's sequels.

You know what's a story only video games can tell? Katamari. There's a unique story right there. I'd like to see someone pitch a katamari movie.

This game, you could take an HD camera, throw some stuff around a farm, add a cheap golden snitch with trail effect and you my friend have an art house movie.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
The development studio well known for games where you walk around doing nothing, continues their trend of making games where you walk around doing nothing.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Now, it's entirely fair to say that the Chinese Room make games where you just walk around... you also get story, told to you exclusively through exposition!

Remember kids, Tell, don't show. That's the golden rule, that is.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Well, again a non-game by the Chinese Room, which seem to not understand how to make games and rather want to make audiobooks, where people need to hold W to listen to...

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Well, I figured I'd see people make remarks about the game, as if they couldn't refuse to play it and as if these kinds of games don't have their place. It's not like these are being milked out like first person shooters. It's a niche kind of game, so let the people into that niche have it. Judge it as it is rather than what you want it to be.

I think it seems interesting. Sure, I do think these kind of games could use a bit more exploration, but otherwise they always end up a really peaceful experience, and sometimes very intriguing. I thought I'd be bored as hell with Gone Home, but it interested me just enough to keep going, even if all I was doing was solving basic "puzzles" and given a narrative as I observe what was being narrated about.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The last time I saw it there was no coherence to it all, just more of the usual "roam around a nice scenario and pretend its something more" like Dear Esther but at least Dear Esther kind of served to show very good mapping skills in the Source engine.