Editorial: 2K Delivers Great Games and Impressive Dedication

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Editorial: 2K Delivers Great Games and Impressive Dedication

Several minutes into my unscheduled Civilization Beyond Earth hands-on demo, I noticed the bang and whir of power tools all around me. They were literally deconstructing the booth on all sides of us as a Civ designer urges me to play "just one more turn."

Read Full Article

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Yeah, they also like to charge Australians obscene amounts of money for digital products "just cos".

Encaen

May 6, 2005
BanicRhys said:
Yeah, they also like to charge Australians obscene amounts of money for digital products "just cos".
I feel for you. I visited a game shop in New Zealand once, and literally everything was obscenely expensive. Is that just a 2K thing digitally, though? I just assumed it was a problem across the board based on my one game shop experience.

RedBackDragon

Apr 22, 2013
Encaen said:
BanicRhys said:
I feel for you. I visited a game shop in New Zealand once, and literally everything was obscenely expensive. Is that just a 2K thing digitally, though? I just assumed it was a problem across the board based on my one game shop experience.
its a problem across the board , online or in store we get (insert painfull sounding sexual act here) when it comes to video games and software

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Encaen said:
Prices are always terrible in brick and mortar stores over here.

EA and Ubisoft are pretty bad with their digital pricing too, but at least they tend to drop their prices fairly quickly. 2k is still trying to sell a 2 year old Civ 5 expansion for $50 on Steam.

She-Pudding

Grand Poo-Bah of Tittles
Apr 29, 2014
As someone who's come from a long line of people who've worked in unsung, behind-the-scenes roles or in customer service, I loved reading this article. It's so refreshing to see good, competent employees going the extra mile for no other reason than that they're proud of what they have. And I love that Joshua gave them this glowing bit of appreciation, and I hope they and their employers get to see it. There's no better feeling than having someone unexpectedly go the extra mile to commend your job well-done. The fact that they had such a good product on display probably didn't hurt, either. ^-^

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Isn't that literally every publisher, though?
Some are worse than others, 2K seem to be one of the bad ones, where as on GMG most games we can get at normal price 2K went out of their way to enforce region pricing (as an example), fortunately GMG decided to bite the bullet and give us a voucher discount to counter it but still it shows 2K's greed.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RicoADF said:
Some are worse than others, 2K seem to be one of the bad ones, where as on GMG most games we can get at normal price 2K went out of their way to enforce region pricing (as an example), fortunately GMG decided to bite the bullet and give us a voucher discount to counter it but still it shows 2K's greed.
Ah. Good to know. I'm just used to people talking about "The Australia Tax" as thought it were more or less universal and such. I mean, I guess I knew the pricing wasn't universal, but I was under the impression you guys had a universally high markup.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Ah. Good to know. I'm just used to people talking about "The Australia Tax" as thought it were more or less universal and such. I mean, I guess I knew the pricing wasn't universal, but I was under the impression you guys had a universally high markup.
Eh like anything it comes down to how well you go shopping, if you go into your local EB and buy a brand new game your looking at $70-100 depending on what game/platform etc (more for collectors editions). If however you go to say JB Hifi or even K-mart you can get games for 60 and ofcourse if you go online or simply wait a few months the prices drop even more (eg: ozgameshop). It really comes down to smart shopping more than anything, that said 2K and some other publishers go out of their way to enforce 'region pricing' on digital stores and there lies the problem and what I said above about them being bad for it.

The ironic part is that the Australian government has actually publicly stated that it encourages people to buy online etc to get around the pricing saying that it's investigation found that there is price fixing in place. Weather they do anything about it is another matter, however it looks like online prices have already pushed local prices down since as I said most stores like JB etc have competitive prices, heck I love getting PS3/X360 games for $20 new, just have to wait a year or so for them to fall into the price range.

EDIT: Bad spelling and split into 2 paragraphs.

timeformime

Jul 27, 2012
Cool article - in my book, 2K is one of the greats, though they don't always get the love as a publisher that others do.