The Powerpuff Girls Returns in 2016 as a Reboot

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
The Powerpuff Girls Returns in 2016 as a Reboot

Cartoon Network Enterprises hopes to introduce The Powerpuff Girls to a new generation.

The Powerpuff Girls will be rebooted next year and aired on Cartoon Network once again. The show originally ran for six seasons between 1996 and 2005 as a great example of superpower girls saving their home repeatedly.

A CGI special ran earlier this year, called "The Powerpuff Girls: Dance Pantsed." Ringo Starr from The Beatles even starred in the special, voicing a new character, while the original cast reprised their roles. The special had no input from Powerpuff Girls creator Craig McCracken, and "Dance Pantsed" felt rather mediocre.

The show's reboot will be produced in-house by Cartoon Network Studios. The Powerpuff Girls has over $2.5 billion in retail sales and, more importantly, was a show about little girls beating up bad guys.

"As the original ambassador of 'girl power,' The Powerpuff Girls brand continues to resonate with people of all ages, and there is tremendous excitement around introducing Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup to a new generation," Pete Yoder, vice president of consumer products for North America, Cartoon Network Enterprises, said in a prepared statement.

I sincerely hope much of the content and style from the original Powerpuff Girls is retained for the reboot. The cartoony style worked well for the show, whereas the CGI of "Dance Pantsed" made the girls look edgier and slightly older.

Source: The Wrap [http://www.thewrap.com/the-powerpuff-girls-returning-to-cartoon-network-in-2016/]

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I'm glad they're rebooting it. I was afraid newcomers to the series would be scared off by the vast and complex backstory the cartoon had built up.

Wait, no, the other thing. I have no clue why they're calling it a reboot or why it's more than just 'a new season'.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Enough. Fucking. Reboots. PLEASE. Call it a sequel if you want, but I am absolutely done with reboots, re-imaginings and remakes.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Falterfire said:
I'm glad they're rebooting it. I was afraid newcomers to the series would be scared off by the vast and complex backstory the cartoon had built up.

Wait, no, the other thing. I have no clue why they're calling it a reboot or why it's more than just 'a new season'.
I just hope they dont get all there powers mixed up anymore I didn't like how Bubbles could use Blossom's Ice breath it just seemed weird.

I hope they make Him fucking creepy as fuck still I think that was why he was so fun of a char xD

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Hmm, not sure how I feel about this.
On one hand a new generation will get to experience an awesome show, but on the other I will judge the shit out of the show if they mess it up.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I don't mind the reboot, as long as it is hand drawn animation. Nowadays many cartoons try going just plain CGI, and I don't like it. The CGI for the Powerpuff Girls especially, as the CGI didn't look good at all.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Knew it was coming. Was only a matter of time.

Maybe one day this will all go full circle and we can get more Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. Or maybe even Courage the Cowardy Dog.

Soviet Heavy said:
Enough. Fucking. Reboots. PLEASE. Call it a sequel if you want, but I am absolutely done with reboots, re-imaginings and remakes.
Never has your avatar been more appropriate.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Couldn't they just air the old episodes over and over again like they did when I was a child? I grew up on old cartoons being played over and over again and I turned out alright for a giraffe. Sure, sometimes I say things that don't make any hydraulics but other than that I'm good.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I enjoyed 'Dance Pantsed', the girls were still themselves and the new style was a cool take on the series. Definitely sounds like a better idea then changing 'Teen Titans', not that I hate 'Go' and kids seem to enjoy it, PPG's just seems like a better choice for rebooting.

Neronium said:
I don't mind the reboot, as long as it is hand drawn animation. Nowadays many cartoons try going just plain CGI, and I don't like it. The CGI for the Powerpuff Girls especially, as the CGI didn't look good at all.
You're kidding right? The only reason they're doing this is due to the franchises brand recognition and the fact that the style will be easy to recreate on FLASH, no way it will be hand drawn.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Without the original creator I have a feeling it won't be the same. Remember what happened to Dexter's Lab when they brought it back temporarily? That shit was awful.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Maybe it will be a gritty, grimdark reboot chronicling Blossom's descent in to prostitution whilst Buttercup must overcome her crippling meth habit (with hilarious crossover potential with Breaking Bad). No idea what Bubbles will do. Kill cats or something.

But seriously, they could just touch-up the old episodes and air them again and it would be just as good if not better.

Ikasury

May 15, 2013
Him was basically Tim Curry as Frankenfurter only in pink, red, and frills instead of black leather... THAT is why he was so damn awesome as the synonymous 'devil'/all that is silly-evil character...

the old show was great, cracky and silly... i loved that about it (and other cartoons of the time) there was just something that was so cartoonish and knew it was a cartoon without having to be all this other over-snark bs...

for the record i've seen the japanese spin off and thought it was hilarious, just more for the fact they bothered and tried to make it 'serious'... i get the feeling this new 'reboot' might try to tread that line then the original sadly, it was amusing sure, but not the same as the original girls ._.

that was funny, nonsensical and had HIM!! XD

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
PunkRex said:
I enjoyed 'Dance Pantsed', the girls were still themselves and the new style was a cool take on the series. Definitely sounds like a better idea then changing 'Teen Titans', not that I hate 'Go' and kids seem to enjoy it, PPG's just seems like a better choice for rebooting.

Neronium said:
You're kidding right? The only reason they're doing this is due to the franchises brand recognition and the fact that the style will be easy to recreate on FLASH, no way it will be hand drawn.
You can still do frame by frame drawn animation in flash. Might not be paper but the artists can still use tablets to draw each frame.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I have mixed feelings about this-

On the one hand-
I am somewhat glad to see the girls are back given to the small selection of good cartoons we got these days from Cartoon Network.

On the other hand-
In the past they did approach Craig McCracken to make a few more seasons but he decline since he wanted to end the show on a high note than to let it drag down (like The Simspon and don't quote me on this as I don't remember exactly where I read that) althought in saying so it didn't exactly gotten a farewell episode. I feel without the creator being involved on it, it will suck given to the last special.

While I had no problem with the special episode animation episode (in fact I liked the updated girl hairstyle) other than the girls motion were jagged (not smooth and fluent) and Bubble having freeze breath the plot in the special did suck.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
I love Powerpuff Girls and am happy to see it back.

But hopefully the show can remain as violent and action packed as the first four seasons were.

Insane Guy of DOOM

Aug 7, 2008
gigastar said:
Knew it was coming. Was only a matter of time.

Maybe one day this will all go full circle and we can get more Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. Or maybe even Courage the Cowardy Dog.

Soviet Heavy said:
Never has your avatar been more appropriate.
The creator of Courage the Cowardly Dog has actually been trying to pitch a reboot to Cartoon Network, it would be CGI instead of hand drawn though. An excerpt from a pilot produced for it was uploaded earlier this year: http://vimeo.com/92096186

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
Fappy said:
Without the original creator I have a feeling it won't be the same. Remember what happened to Dexter's Lab when they brought it back temporarily? That shit was awful.
I'd be inclined to agree, but when considering the so-so mediocrity of the recent Johnny Bravo movie that had its original creator on board the studio, one can imagine that there's only so much the OG's can do. However, the amount of success Cartoon Network has been seeing from older audiences would suggest that the last thing they'd want to do is recreate an show from such an audiences' past days in a way that would be upsetting to them. All we can do is wait at for now.

Speaking of which, where the hell is that Johnny Bravo reboot at? In this age where a feminine push is starting to unravel in pop culture, what better comedic symbolism would there be than having a big stupid ignoramus macho man constantly getting in the way of a woman trying to be herself?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Is it my imagination or is the delay between "original" and "reboot" getting shorter and shorter? I think it's just a matter of time before a show reboots itself ten minutes into the pilot episode.

Also, sorry, Cartoon Network. We used to be cool, but until I get closure with Samurai Jack we're not on speaking terms.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
-Dragmire- said:
PunkRex said:

Neronium said:
You can still do frame by frame drawn animation in flash. Might not be paper but the artists can still use tablets to draw each frame.
I know but my point was that that's not what CN will do, it will be copy pasted assets, faster and cheaper. It's not the end of the world, MLP FiM does something similar (to the best of my knowledge) but over time they added more and more. The series may be clunky to start with but if it does well the animation get more varied over time... probably.

The Rogue Wolf said:
Is it my imagination or is the delay between "original" and "reboot" getting shorter and shorter? I think it's just a matter of time before a show reboots itself ten minutes into the pilot episode.

Also, sorry, Cartoon Network. We used to be cool, but until I get closure with Samurai Jack we're not on speaking terms.
My brother... T_T