Final Fantasy VI Boss Battle Transformed into 9-Foot Painting

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Final Fantasy VI Boss Battle Transformed into 9-Foot Painting

Chris Olian has recreated Final Fantasy VI's climactic battle with Kefka as an epic art piece that took more than 200 hours to paint.

If Final Fantasy VI only one thing going for it (it actually has many things going for it), it would probably be the fact that it can lay claim to one of the most incredible final boss battles of all time. The climactic, multi-stage brawl with Kefka is just flat out epic, combining stunning visuals and one of the <a href=http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-vi-s-dancing-mad-a-critical-analysis-157570.phtml>greatest pieces of music ever put in a video game to create a battle that borders on transcendent.

Obviously recognizing the greatness of this sequence, artist Chris Olian set out to recreate it as a piece of literal, physical art. The end result of his project is an uncannily accurate painting that spans 9-feet, three canvases and contains a whopping 111,747 painted pixels. According to Olian, the project on the whole took more than 200 hours to complete.

Olian first began work on his Kefka painting back in 2009 but halted the project, and painting altogether, following the death of his father. It would take another three years before he'd pick up paintbrush again. With the art piece finally finished, Olian now intends to donate it to the Bit Gen event in July and the CGE Retro Con in September. People interested in seeing more of Olian's work in general can check it out on his <a href=https://www.facebook.com/8BitPixelPaintings/timeline>Facebook page or follow him on <a href=https://twitter.com/8Bit_Artist>Twitter.

[gallery=2726]

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Two words: Frickin'. Awesome.

I may not know art, but I know what I like. :p

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
I'm not the biggest fan of the FF series but damn, I can respect that work of art.

I can't even begin to think of how he could do that, I would have gone nuts halfway through that.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
It's very cool, but I think I would actually prefer it if it weren't done in pixel art style. While I know that pixel art is true to the original I would rather the painting be a more realistic and original version of the tower and Kefka.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
It's very cool, but I think I would actually prefer it if it weren't done in pixel art style. While I know that pixel art is true to the original I would rather the painting be a more realistic and original version of the tower and Kefka.
Yeah, it's hard for me to see that as anything but a direct copy.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
StriderShinryu said:
Seconded. Not to undercut the talent clearly on display their (video editting not being one of them, I had a laugh at the boombox or whatever playing O fortuna ) but I'd of liked to of seen a like Renaissance style painting with that sort of subject. Since the final boss obviously draws all of its looks from that style of art it would be cool to see what it could of looked liked if they had the power back than to render something like that today.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I also agree that while its impressive from a meticulous standpoint, it utterly fails from an artistic one. If you are simply going to reproduce something pixel by pixel on a larger scale, then nothing separates it from just going to Kinko's with a screenshot jpeg and blowing it up aside from the paint used to do it and the time wasted.

It may as well be painted by numbers at that point, as absolutely zero artistic interpretation went into it. It is a direct reproduction.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
StriderShinryu said:
It might be more-or-less a direct copy, but it's not like it was just a matter of hitting Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V to finish the job.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
It might be more-or-less a direct copy, but it's not like it was just a matter of hitting Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V to finish the job.
The end result is what matters. Maybe they painstakingly recreated the style in real strokes, or maybe they just stitched together a high quality panorama and printed it.

If I can't tell the difference, well, then it's still going to look like a direct copy in the end.

Chris Olian

Jun 17, 2014
Atmos Duality said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
The end result is what matters. Maybe they painstakingly recreated the style in real strokes, or maybe they just stitched together a high quality panorama and printed it.

If I can't tell the difference, well, then it's still going to look like a direct copy in the end.
if you cant tell the difference then i take that as a compliment to how well i painted it. so thanks! :)

hopefully this piece goes for lots of money at the dinner auction to help children in hospitals.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Chris Olian said:
if you cant tell the difference then i take that as a compliment to how well i painted it. so thanks! :)
Aye, I won't deny that it looks good regardless of my personal quibbles with it.
Derivative or not, it is a faithful recreation of an iconic scene from an iconic game.

hopefully this piece goes for lots of money at the dinner auction to help children in hospitals.
As long as the charity does what they promise, every bit helps.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
*Looked at headline, thought it was a big ass Kefka(awesome enough). Clicked on link and saw it was the three tiers below him as well(double awesome).* My hat's off to Chris for this masterpiece and for doing it for charity.

I just hope Square doesn't pull their usual dickishness and pull any copyright shenanigans.( I doubt they would when it's all for charity, but this is Square "let's cease and desist that non-profit 3D Chrono Trigger fan game that is only recreating the first quarter of the game and then never make another Chrono game besides a port 4 years later" Enix we are talking about.