Shiny Replica of Sword Art Online's Elucidator Created for Man At Arms

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Shiny Replica of Sword Art Online's Elucidator Created for Man At Arms

<youtube=obw19lRWO-Y>​
Blacksmith Tony Swatton forges Kirito's Elucidator from Sword Art Online in Man At Arms.

For a show called Sword Art Online, there's got to be swords. Blacksmith Tony Swatton's latest project for Man At Arms was the Elucidator from Sword Art Online, a popular, recent anime series.

Swatton said in this episode that swords based on Japanese anime are some of his favorites to make, and this particular sword has been one many fans have been requesting for a long time. Kirito's Elucidator is black, matching his nearly all black outfit, and is fairly jagged. The sword has a surprising number of details I hadn't quite noticed from watching the show.

Swatton and his team work together to trace the basic design for the sword, trace it on steel, cut out the design on the steel, and remove an inner section for the blade's unique design. If you've seen any other Man At Arms episode, the general process is about the same, with some tweaks here and there for different designs and finishes. The blade itself is treated with a black oxidized finish to give it the sleek black appearance. From there, Swatton finishes the details and sharpens the blade for the routine hack n' slash at the end.

Sword Art Online is a two-arc 25-episode anime series adapted from light novels about a group of people who get stuck inside a game called Sword Art Online and must finish the game to leave. The second arc involves a different game, as will the upcoming second season.

Some of Swatton's earlier work for Man At Arms includes Halo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131714-Man-At-Arms-Recreates-Full-Metal-Alchemist-Brotherhood-Spear].

Source: Man At Arms [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obw19lRWO-Y]

Omnicrom

Jun 26, 2012
A crap show spawned a good. Kudos Man At Arms, you continue to be excellent at what you do.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Omnicrom said:
A crap show spawned a good. Kudos Man At Arms, you continue to be excellent at what you do.
Indeed, while I am not one to judge people's media choices, I do not see why people like that particular anime. I hear the novels are much better, but I cant really be asked to read them at the moment.

I would love to see something like the Zweihander from Dark Souls be made. Granted it is a real weapon, but I like the design of that particular one in the game.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Broderick said:
I would love to see something like the Zweihander from Dark Souls be made. Granted it is a real weapon, but I like the design of that particular one in the game.
Just imagine this one about 20 inches or 50 cm longer.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Slycne said:
Broderick said:
Just imagine this one about 20 inches or 50 cm longer.

Yep I remember watching that one. Quite a nice looking weapon, but a Zweihander(especially the one from dark souls) looks pretty different design wise. Still though, thank you for the link.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Broderick said:
Yep I remember watching that one. Quite a nice looking weapon, but a Zweihander(especially the one from dark souls) looks pretty different design wise. Still though, thank you for the link.
Just close your eyes and imagine the parrying hooks about the ricasso.

McKitten

Apr 20, 2013
Broderick said:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Levoca_Spis_museum_swords.jpg

Pick one.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Now give us the Monado blade and we're all set.
http://ikusagami.info/wp/xenoblade/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files/outfits_shulk_battlemix/LightArmor_Shulk_04.png

Britpoint

Aug 30, 2013
Glad he finally did this, people have been asking for it for ages! Looks damn good.

Also SAO was a wonderful show. Excited for season 2! Nyuh. :p

Broderick

May 25, 2010
McKitten said:
Broderick said:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Levoca_Spis_museum_swords.jpg

Pick one.
Well I meant specifically made at Man At Arms, but thank you for the link regardless. They are quite nice.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
Much as i hated that show (shit writing, characters, story, light novel wasn't any better), you gotta appreciate the work the guy did on the sword