Director: Next Resident Evil Movie Will End the Series

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Director: Next Resident Evil Movie Will End the Series

Sixth film in the popular zombie franchise may be the end of the line

The Resident Evil movie series has now been running almost as long (and with almost as convoluted a plot) as the video game series to which it's loosely connected. But it may not be for much longer.

Speaking to Collider, director/producer Paul W.S. Anderson - who started the franchise, has directed 3 of the 5 previous films and is married to series star Milla Jovovich - revealed that the working title for the sixth's film's screenplay is The Final Chapter. Said Anderson: "That's what's on the title page, it's Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, so absolutely."

Begun in 2002, the Resident Evil film franchise follows sometimes-superpowered spy/mercenary Alice (Jovovich) as she and a rotating cast of characters from the games battle The Umbrella Corporation after their unscrupulous experiments unleash a plague of zombies and mutant creatures on the world. No plot details of The Final Chapter are known, but the previous installment ended with Alice and her allies joining a fortified human resistance in Washington DC and the reveal of previously-unseen winged monsters as a new threat.

Source: Collider [http://collider.com/resident-evil-6-title-the-final-chapter/]

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Wait, this series was still going? I thought it died from lack of quality.
Oh, wait, this is Hollywood. Lack of quality doesn't kill anything.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
The first one should've been the end of the series. It's just not good (I say this as a movie fan because I've only played one of the resident evil games, number 4 which was great).

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Andrew Siribohdi said:
If you're a fan of the Resident Evil video game franchise: what are your opinions of these films?
I loved the series until 4. 4 seems to be a fan favourite, but I got bored when they started introducing more virus', making them less like zombies and more intelligent, etc. I loved the shit out of the films. By the time the first one came out, there wasn't much of a way of making Resident Evil much of a horror movie. I'm glad they went in with a bit more action. And unlike a massive amount of people, I don't have much of a problem with them diverting from the original story. They are good movies. Not great, and they may not be written entirely well, but they certainly fill the gap for the horror-action films that seems to not exist. At least, any ones with a remotely decent budget/ability to make great action scenes.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Andrew Siribohdi said:
If you're a fan of the Resident Evil video game franchise: what are your opinions of these films?
It's a race between the two at who can write the silliest nonsense. I think the movies are winning right now because of the game RE6. But it's a duel between Alice "Psychic Ninja Assassin" Nolastname vs. Chris "Boulder Punch" Redfield.

WendelI

Jan 7, 2009
Andrew Siribohdi said:
well to me resident even has never been a pinnacle of writing but it has great moments, as for the games it has been in steady decline since 4, games up to 4 where again no greatest thing i've ever played but they lie close to my heart for being some of the first games that made me think about conserving ammo. when 5 came out the series turned to action as apposed to horror and inventory organizing mini games.

The movies? well they are some of the best schlock out there. if you want something to watch while intoxicated and or high on something this is a great place to look. the writing is so terrible yet everyone takes it so seriously it honestly feels like they live in a bizarre world. its like a B movie with the budget of a AAA title. so many pretty effects but the writing is something that rivals sharknado in infamy.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Andrew Siribohdi said:
The movies strike me as a massive Mary Sue fanfic of the Resident Evil universe. The world pretty much revolves around the original character, Alice, and all the named characters from the video games do little else but stand around in awe of how amazing she is. The first movie was decent for an adaptation and the second was passable, but everything after has been more ridiculous than the games have ever gotten. The films all (with the exception of the second) also have the remarkable tendency to invalidate the previous installment within the first ten minutes.

So all in all, pretty terrible.

The writing in the games has never been top notch, and as of late, has been downright silly at times, but I still think they explore an intriguing storyline. The continuing trend of using the black market and bioterrorism to extend the story beyond Umbrella has been plausible yet surprisingly realistic.

Also, I bet five bucks that Mila will deliver the same gaspy, tired monologue that she does at the beginning of every movie.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
If only they would do the same with the games. RE6 was the creaky, bloated, throbbing end boss on the pile of crap guarded by miniboss Raccoon City. Capcom has no freaking idea what RE is any more.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Right, and I bet they're totally not going to do a reboot or anything are they? [/sarcasm]

I'd say I was surprised it's even gone on this long but I'm not. I'm not at all.

GoodNewsOke

Jan 30, 2014
Good. Maybe then we could get a reboot that stays a bit closer to the games? I still think the first game would make for an fun horror/action flick. Nothing groundbreaking but still really entertaining.

Wilco86

Oct 5, 2011
GoodNewsOke said:
Good. Maybe then we could get a reboot that stays a bit closer to the games? I still think the first game would make for an fun horror/action flick. Nothing groundbreaking but still really entertaining.
Standalone movie with some kind of "if..." scenario could be fun, as then you could actually kill characters like Chris and Jill, and the whole movie wouldn't be so predictable for those that have played the games.

Edit: Also, we could have this scene from RE1 that would normally no way in Hell become canon in the movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joPe1FGxQK4&t=16s

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
While I don't really mind the films as much I do find the games as of recent of gone down that annoying slope of fuck zombies and horror let's only focus on action and mutated hive mind people, that's now in place with the movies so really it's hardly about zombies or horror any more.

I think the classic roots of Resident Evil are pretty much dead at this point, it makes me sad but I'll probably see this movie with friends anyway seeing as how there's no way the series will return to what made it great in the first place.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
I loved the first movie. Second movie was okay. By the third they started going batshit crazy. Should have ended with the second movie.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Andrew Siribohdi said:
Garbage.

On this ?news?: Yes please end this nonsense... thought it probably is just the start of another franchise being turned into "look how hot my wife is" and Mary Sue-display.

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
i love the films, purely because of cj i think? In the second one where he rams a zombie while shouting "GTA ************, TEN POINTS"

I'm all for more zombie films!

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
First one is actually decent. Second is halfway decent. After that, it started sprinting into "So bad, it's funny" territory and never looked back.

I really actually don't mind that they ended up doing mostly their own thing with the story. What's the point of making them exactly like the games? Isn't that what the games are for? If you played the games, that kinda ruins the movies for you if they're mostly like the game. Of course, this usually equates into the writers taking gross liberties in doing so. (PYRAMID HEAD POKEMON BATTLE GO!)