Persona Q Preview - Clearing Dungeons Has Never Been Cuter

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Persona Q Preview - Clearing Dungeons Has Never Been Cuter

Go dungeon-crawling in one of many Atlus? Persona spinoffs, Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth.

Read Full Article

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I was never expecting it to be as good as Persona 3 or 4, but it should still be a fun game nonetheless. I'm a little worried about the "technically" canon aspect though. The extended canon for the Persona universe is already getting kind of dumb to be honest (what's with that Naoto manga?!).

Also hoping they have a good explanation why everyone can suddenly use other Personas >.>

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Are the battles still in third person? Half the charm of Persona (4 especially) is seeing everyone do their own thing mid-turn.
I'll probably get the game regardless but it's going to miss a lot if you don't get to see the people doing what they do.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Fappy said:
(what's with that Naoto manga?!).
Pretty sure that's non-canon.

And with this, it's probably going to be some groundhog day type of situation where it all takes place in the same day and then whatever the thing that had merged their worlds together is gotten rid off, they'll just have the memories of their experience with each other completely erased when things return back to normal.

So even if it is canon, it will still end up being completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Fappy said:
Also hoping they have a good explanation why everyone can suddenly use other Personas >.>
It has something to do with the wild card ability resonating due both The P3 and P4 protagonists being within the same area.

hazabaza1 said:
Are the battles still in third person? Half the charm of Persona (4 especially) is seeing everyone do their own thing mid-turn.
I'll probably get the game regardless but it's going to miss a lot if you don't get to see the people doing what they do.
It's not in third person like the main series is. You only get to see them for a second or two when they jump in and attack or are using an attack that exploits a weakness.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
I believe this is relevant to those new to Persona.
<youtube=w7lj9qI8VFc>
OT: This is the most adorable thing ever.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
As much as I love Persona, I just don't see this being my thing. I can certainly see the cuteness of the whole thing, but to be completely honest, the Social Links, individual character plot arcs, and overarching plot are what keep me coming back to the series. Q seems to place its emphasis on the dungeon diving, which ironically enough, is one of the things about the games I like these least.

Fappy said:
The extended canon for the Persona universe is already getting kind of dumb to be honest (what's with that Naoto manga?!).
I don't know. As far as the Arena series goes at least, I think that the extended canon has been pretty interesting. The Naoto light novel is a fun read, though there is some blatant fanservice in it. That and I am pretty sure it isn't canon; heck, I'm not even sure if Golden is technically canon.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Fappy said:
I was never expecting it to be as good as Persona 3 or 4, but it should still be a fun game nonetheless. I'm a little worried about the "technically" canon aspect though. The extended canon for the Persona universe is already getting kind of dumb to be honest (what's with that Naoto manga?!).

Maybe Philemon is back for this game? He could give the cast the power to do that, a la Persona 1&2

I'm more concerned aböut the fate of poor Igor. it seems that since his Japanese VA died he's been slowly filtered out little by little it seems. And from what I heard, he isn't in this or the dancing game (you know you'd want to see him bust a move) at all.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
To be absolutely honest, I not only like the art style, but I really enjoyed my time with Etrian Odyssey 4, so this interests me a lot. Etrian Odyssey style gameplay with Persona based music, attacks, persona fusions, etc... Cmon guys, that sounds AWESOME!

I'm lukewarm towards the social links and daily junk myself. I mean, it's cool to do, but I can't say they are my favourite part of the games. Even the combat might not be either. The complete package is what makes me enjoy Persona the most. Which is probably why I'll go into this with an Etrian Odyssey mindset, not a complete Persona experience mindset.

With that in mind... OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD WANT!

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I love the battle theme for this one. The Persona games always have crazy catchy music and this looks like no exception. I am a bit disappointed with the first person aspect, but at least everyone looks cute.

I think the idea behind giving everyone multiple Personas is to allow people to build a team based on the characters they like. It's a good thing for me, since my dream team of Junpei, Aigis, Kanji & Chie would be suicide in the main games since they're all physical attackers.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
So. Fucking. Hyped. To me this just seems like the ultimate fanservice to fans of P3 and 4 - putting all our favourite characters together for some dungeon-crawling, shadow-stomping action. I can't help but have a big giant grin on my face watching the trailers and intro videos. Also, dat music!

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Mahorfeus said:
As much as I love Persona, I just don't see this being my thing. I can certainly see the cuteness of the whole thing, but to be completely honest, the Social Links, individual character plot arcs, and overarching plot are what keep me coming back to the series. Q seems to place its emphasis on the dungeon diving, which ironically enough, is one of the things about the games I like these least.
Yeah, this about sums it up. In Persona 4 I would grind a ton at one time, and then avoid the dungeon for as long as humanly possible. Fusing Personas is interesting, but the dungeons in 3 and 4 felt more like a chore you have to periodically complete before you're allowed to have your game back. I'm really curious to see how the cast members interact with one another, but the dungeon crawling is a grind in more ways than one.