Formerly Lost Tim Burton Hansel and Gretel Film Can Now be Seen in Its Entirety

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Formerly Lost Tim Burton Hansel and Gretel Film Can Now be Seen in Its Entirety

Beetlejuice director Tim Burton's 1983 Hansel and Gretel film that aired on Halloween can now be watched online.

Nowadays, it's hard to find someone immersed in pop culture that doesn't know who director Tim Burton is. From Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands and even Batman, Burton has produced one iconic film after another. However, back when he wasn't renowned yet, did you know Burton worked for Disney and directed a small budget, quirky, Japanese-themed Hansel and Gretel film adaptation? It aired on the Disney Channel during Halloween in 1983 and has been presumed to be lost forever -- until now.

Shown in the video is the complete live-action 35-minute film. It's said to have had a budget of only $16,000, which is pretty evident given the rather flimsy props and setting the flick takes place in. It might not be cinema at its finest, but you can clearly see Burton's dark and bizarre sense of taste. According to the YouTube uploader of the film, "After the initial airing, Disney Channel execs were so distraught by the frightening subject matter, that they never allowed the film to be shown again. Thankfully, someone managed to tape it that night, which provides us with this footage."

What do you think of the film? And would you want to see Burton adapt more fairy tales into full-fledged feature films now with his own "slant?"

Source: YouTube via io9 [http://io9.com/watch-the-formerly-lost-tim-burton-hansel-and-gretel-in-1591877287]

jaoblia

Jul 21, 2009
The film actually wasn't truly lost, it was played on loop at Tim Burton's gallery show that toured North America a couple years ago (At least at the show in Toronto I went to.)The film has only been PUBLICLY seen that halloween and during his gallery show, there's many copies that exist in various archives and personal collections. Its good to see we have an easy to find copy of it on the internet now though.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Dude, why did you put slant in quotes? It only makes it seem like a racial slur. But thanks for bringing this to our attention. Everyone record it before the inevitable Disney take-down notice. Also someone in the U2b BB stated that Burton tried to have all copies destroyed. Can someone confirm if that is just bilge water or truth?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
On a scale of one to ten I'd give that all of the drugs...all of the drugs ever. Every last drug ever to have ever. Interesting how this wasn't really lost but that doesn't stop someone like me from not knowing about this kind of thing existing. I'm glad I watched that, strange though it turned out to be.

gridsleep said:
Kogepan: Because he is Bread (awesome avatar)

MrJoyless

May 26, 2010
Jesus, that scared the shit out of me. Some of it is just strange, I like it. It's utter madness.

Dat gingerbread man...