Men Arrested for Stealing Yu-Gi-Oh! Card Collection

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Men Arrested for Stealing Yu-Gi-Oh! Card Collection

Two men were arrested in Japan for stealing a kid's Yu-Gi-Oh! card collection worth more than $600.

If someone close to you ever stole something valuable, this story might bring back some of those bitter memories. In Kobe, Japan, Two 20-year old men were arrested for stealing their 15-year old "friend's" Yu-Gi-Oh! card collection. The two unnamed suspects went to their friend's place on February 18 and after finding the place empty, proceed to pilfer the kid's 320-strong Yu-Gi-Oh! card collection, which is believed to be valued at over 70,000 yen or roughly $685 in US currency.

This isn't the first time we've heard of people stealing to fund their hobbies. In China, two ambitious teens chose to steal electric cables from two-story electric poles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123791-Chinese-Teens-Steal-Electric-Cable-to-Pay-For-Games]
just to fund their online gaming addiction. If that wasn't enough, back in 2010, a cop was arrested for shoplifting a video game at a Walmart in Honolulu. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103886-Cop-Arrested-for-Shoplifting-Videogame]

I think the lesson here is, be careful of your valuables even around your friends, and always make sure that if you leave your stuff inside your house, hide them in a safe place.

Have you ever had something valuable stolen from you by a so-called friend? Share your stories in the comments.

Source: Anime News Network [http://www.kobe-np.co.jp/news/jiken/201406/0007044529.shtml]

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Charli said:
BANISHED TO THE SHADOW REALM!

[sub]I'm very sorry [/sub]
If anything you should be banished there for saying that you are not forgiven.

OT:Its sad how people will steal trading cards like this from a kid just to fuel there own stupid bullshit.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
(Facepalm) Seriously? You're gonna steal from a kid just to make money? Where's Yami when you need him?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'm actually surprised it was of so little value. He must not have had any major rare cards. Actually, his collection sounds pretty small. 320 cards is not a lot. Unless, they're talking 320 Rare and better cards. Then, that is a sizable collection. Still, there are some Yugi-Oh cards which have some hefty value and I would think they could easily exceed $600 if he had 320 of them.

As others have said, those two are jerks. I hope it was worth their "friendship" to steal the cards.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Saltyk said:
I'm actually surprised it was of so little value. He must not have had any major rare cards. Actually, his collection sounds pretty small. 320 cards is not a lot. Unless, they're talking 320 Rare and better cards. Then, that is a sizable collection. Still, there are some Yugi-Oh cards which have some hefty value and I would think they could easily exceed $600 if he had 320 of them.

As others have said, those two are jerks. I hope it was worth their "friendship" to steal the cards.
I've started playing Magic recently, so my reaction was "Wow, only $600?"
Not that this isn't a lot, it's just a news worthy TCG heist could easily go to tens, hundreds of k.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
AngryMongoose said:
Not that this isn't a lot, it's just a news worthy TCG heist could easily go to tens, hundreds of k.
Given, Yu Gi Oh! is a little cheaper than Magic.

But yeah, quite a dickmove. Really shows that trust me and my play group have with each other. People at our game shop/pub just often leave for a bit to chat with folks somewhere else or whatever and leave hundreds and hundreds of euros worth of Magic cards completely unsupervised. People passing trade maps worth a month's salary out with ease, it's all good. We're a trusting bunch, but it's all good people so that helps.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
AngryMongoose said:
Saltyk said:

Yeah, and one of the most valuable Magic cards I've ever seen went for $20. In comparison, I've heard of Yugioh cards that went for $200. Crush Card Virus was once worth thousands, largely due to it's insane rarity.

I actually looked it up, and some of the most valuable cards in Yugi-Oh are currently going for about $50. And there are several in the $20 range.

So, yeah, I had the same reaction. It seems that a Yugi-oh card collection could easily approach the thousands of dollars range.

Noble_Lance

Sep 4, 2011
This reminds of the bag with some rare cards in my room I haven't looked at in insane ages, I feel like I need to go look and see if they are of any value.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Alternate plan: if you possess over 600 dollars in cards, invest in a Millenium item so that you can send thieves to the shadow realm.

MINDCRUSH!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
How does a fifteen year old kid have a card collection that is worth that much? Where does he get the money? Or did he win them?

Anyway, not cool. I have quite a few valuable things in my room, ranging from statues and figurines to hand-made pony plushies, and while I've never once thought any of my friends would steal any of them, I do make it a point not to let them come over when I'm not home.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
If you're going to leave your card collection unattended you should at least put down a few trap cards.

Alex Co said:
Have you ever had something valuable stolen from you by a so-called friend? Share your stories in the comments.
I had a 'friend' steal my copy of Pokémon Silver when they came round to my house once. I got it back fairly easily but I was more pissed off that they deleted my save file, so I got revenge by wiping every one of his Playstation memory cards as well as his Pokémon games :D

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Saltyk said:
Those were my first thoughts too and I don't even know much about collectable card-games.

Although it's more valuable than my Pokemon-card collection, I'm sure.

Noble_Lance

Sep 4, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
How does a fifteen year old kid have a card collection that is worth that much? Where does he get the money? Or did he win them?

Anyway, not cool. I have quite a few valuable things in my room, ranging from statues and figurines to hand-made pony plushies, and while I've never once thought any of my friends would steal any of them, I do make it a point not to let them come over when I'm not home.
It happens randomly, open packs sometimes you get some really expensive cards. I remember when I was younger, a complete Exodia set or whatever was like $200. Or other very rare cards could be high value, but that's from ages ago knowledge.

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
Their entire collection only six hundred USD? I have people in my school walking around with 200-400 USD decks with them to play against other kids. This kid is a SCRUB and DESERVES TO HAVE HIS STUFF STOLEN. But seriously, card games have some serious money in them if you can find a buyer and supplies. Always keep your cards in your view, no matter what they are.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Saltyk said:
Yeah, and one of the most valuable Magic cards I've ever seen went for $20. In comparison, I've heard of Yugioh cards that went for $200. Crush Card Virus was once worth thousands, largely due to it's insane rarity.

I actually looked it up, and some of the most valuable cards in Yugi-Oh are currently going for about $50. And there are several in the $20 range.

So, yeah, I had the same reaction. It seems that a Yugi-oh card collection could easily approach the thousands of dollars range.
Well, if we're talking Magic, there are individual cards out there that have sold for $50,000.
See: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Nine

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I'd just like to point out to the people claiming that $600 isn't a lot for a collection that the Japanese is no where near as bad at Rarity gating the prices. If you look at some of the more recent stuff, many popular commons are made into the hard to obtain stuff for the International version of the game. Also, in Japan they print the OCG, which is separate from the TCG, which is played everywhere else, and the cards are not compatible. Basically, the kid's collection probably would have been worth substantially more if he did not live in Japan.