Emperor Penguins Handling Climate Change Better Than Expected

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Emperor Penguins Handling Climate Change Better Than Expected

New evidence suggests that emperor penguins are not constricted to a single breeding ground, allowing them to move as their environment changes.

According to a new study that will be published in the journal Ecography, emperor penguins may be better able to adapt to the effects of climate change than previously believed. Researchers have historically worked under the belief that emperor penguins returned to their nesting grounds to breed, but satellite images have debunked this assumption. A team from the University of Minnesota found that over the course of three years, a group of penguins changed breeding grounds six times.

"Our research showing that colonies seem to appear and disappear throughout the years challenges behaviors we thought we understood about emperor penguins," said lead author Michelle LaRue at the IDEACITY conference on June 20. "If we assume that these birds come back to the same locations every year, without fail, these new colonies we see on satellite images wouldn't make any sense. These birds didn't just appear out of thin air-they had to have come from somewhere else. This suggests that emperor penguins move among colonies. That means we need to revisit how we interpret population changes and the causes of those changes."

The penguin colony featured in the documentary, March of the Penguins, has been studied for more than 60 years, and the recession of sea ice over recent decades has had researchers concerned about the colony losing its breeding ground.

"If we want to accurately conserve the species, we really need to know the basics," said LaRue." "We've just learned something unexpected, and we should rethink how we interpret colony fluctuations."

Score one for nature.

Source: The University of Minnesota [http://discover.umn.edu/news/science-technology/new-research-using-satellite-images-reveals-emperor-penguins-are-more]

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Well DUH!

its because their dancing..and if happy feet tought us anything is Dancing solves all Penguines problems

[sub/]god that was a dumb movie[/sub]

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Vault101 said:
Why is your avatar bombing pieces of the Sistine Chapel?

OT: Animals tend to have a fair idea on how to manage their populations, really. Lots of things do. The Darwinian way of things, adapt or die.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Vault101 said:
Well DUH!

its because their dancing..and if happy feet tought us anything is Dancing solves all Penguines problems

[sub/]god that was a dumb movie[/sub]
They do love to march, according to Morgan Freeman at least. and you know Morgan Freeman is never wrong... ever...his word, is law.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Why is your avatar bombing pieces of the Sistine Chapel?
its....not

thats Elizabeth falling in the background...

[quote/]OT: Animals tend to have a fair idea on how to manage their populations, really. Lots of things do. The Darwinian way of things, adapt or die.[/quote]
does it apply to "short term" stuff like global warming? as oposed to actual evolution? though I don't know much about the subject

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Right so let's see...
Humans have been to the moon, we send pictures from anywhere in the world to anywhere at anytime, we fly with machines and have toothbrushes.
And we didn't know that Penguins actually move around a little?
Daaammnnn! Well, I guess we learn something new everyday xD

rasta111

Nov 11, 2009
So penguins can get used to swimming and warm weather... For once the movies weren't lying through their teeth to everyone? Couldn't have guessed.

Now what about the polar bears receding hunting ground? Sunglasses and a margarita machine?

Plastic straws?

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
rasta111 said:
Now what about the polar bears receding hunting ground? Sunglasses and a margarita machine?

Plastic straws?
Nope. Grolar Bears.

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
I always wondered how they knew the same exact animals returned to the same spot to breed. I just assumed it was based on scientific research...like tagging tons of penguins and seeing where they went year after year. Now we find out they DIDN'T base it on anything scientific and just ASSUMED they returned to the same spot? And NOW we know better because they're actually doing REAL research with verifiable evidence and it turns out they were wrong?

Sounds to me like maybe we should re-look at the "Salmon always return to the same stream" theory as well...along with every other similar one.

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Kuala BangoDango said:
I always wondered how they knew the same exact animals returned to the same spot to breed. I just assumed it was based on scientific research...like tagging tons of penguins and seeing where they went year after year. Now we find out they DIDN'T base it on anything scientific and just ASSUMED they returned to the same spot? And NOW we know better because they're actually doing REAL research with verifiable evidence and it turns out they were wrong?

Sounds to me like maybe we should re-look at the "Salmon always return to the same stream" theory as well...along with every other similar one.
Well, you can tell it's the same penguins returning to the same breeding spot because they look the same. Right? Same with the salmon.

Ahem.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
BigTuk said:
rasta111 said:
So penguins can get used to swimming and warm weather... For once the movies weren't lying through their teeth to everyone? Couldn't have guessed.

Plastic straws?
Actually the polar bears may well fade out but the Grolar Bear may become a new thing. You see the warmer weather is making it possible for Grizzlies to mover further north and well, yeah, there be some bears a bumping and you get hybrid offspring which apparently prove that there is some law of nature that says any two predators mating will produce an offspring with the most terrifying qualities of both and the weaknesses of neither.

Killer Bees, Ligers, and now Grolar Bears, the Grolars do seem to come out larger than grizzlies and more aggressive and territorial than polars, with the ability to ranger further than either..

We are going to need bigger guns.
*looks up grolar bears*

Well I'm movin' to space. See ya!

although I think this is appropiate
OT:This isn't surprising, neither the the penguins nor the lack of knowledge. It only makes sense that they move around, and I hardly think we have even a percentage of the world figured out.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
It's only a matter of time. The penguins are evolving, adapting... Just wait until they learn how to use shotguns.
We're teaching them... We're teaching them how to adapt, and they'll learn on their own on how to use our tools of destruction themselves!!

rasta111

Nov 11, 2009
Alcom1 said:
Nope. Grolar Bears.
Shut up... I'll tell you what, keep hold of your now at least doubly vicious hybrid ursine... If you can that is. I'll be over here holding one of my nice cuddly white polar bear fantasies... And the margarita machine. Thanks.