Comics Review: Hellboy In Hell Vol. 1 Is The Bleakest Yet

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Comics Review: Hellboy In Hell Vol. 1 Is The Bleakest Yet

Beautifully drawn, bleak, and action packed, it might not be the best entry point for new readers, but it's a great, unfolding story.

Read Full Article

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I finished the first 12 volumes a few weeks back but I can't move on until i've read B.P.R.D. and the 3rd volume of Abe Sapien, DAMMIT DARK HORSE, give me a year too catch up!

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
PunkRex said:
I finished the first 12 volumes a few weeks back but I can't move on until i've read B.P.R.D. and the 3rd volume of Abe Sapien, DAMMIT DARK HORSE, give me a year too catch up!
Hellboy is pretty separate from B.P.R.D. and all the other Mignola books at this point. Other than a general "the apocalypse is happening" vibe there's isn't really overlap between plot points or monsters, just a couple of very minor references (I believe Hellboy sees what B.P.R.D. is up to on TV at one point in Storm and the Fury, but otherwise he didn't get involved).

Not that you shouldn't read the expanded books, they're very good! But for Hellboy In Hell, the previous Hellboy books are all you need.

Well... maybe Mignola's Witchfinder books, but I hadn't read them and didn't feel like anything was spoiled.